NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Front side markers/Indicator question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 10:41 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front side markers/Indicator question

I know US/Canadian models have an orange side marker light that comes on with the tail lights.

My Australian version has the orange reflector, but it doesn't light up with the tail lights/headlights.

Is it disabled through the computer system, is there no bulb with the wiring or is there no wiring at all? I think Lexus would not put the orange reflector if they customised the headlights for different countries but it seems as though it could be the same part.

I read the US user manual, it looks like it's a LED that a T10 bulb equivalent. Anyone here can share how I can activate it on my Australian model?

Also another question. Is the DRL supposed to turn off or dim when the indicator is used? I haven't checked (because I'm driving) but it looks like the DRL completely turns off when the indicator is used. I see some videos of it being dimmed instead. Is the US/Canada/European/Asian version different?
Old 01-15-16, 11:37 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
Is the DRL supposed to turn off or dim when the indicator is used? I haven't checked (because I'm driving) but it looks like the DRL completely turns off when the indicator is used. I see some videos of it being dimmed instead. Is the US/Canada/European/Asian version different?
On my United States NX, one DRL will turn off when the corresponding turn signal indicator is blinking. I've seen this on other car brands, too.
Old 01-15-16, 11:52 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NXOwner
On my United States NX, one DRL will turn off when the corresponding turn signal indicator is blinking. I've seen this on other car brands, too.
Okay, so it seems to be the same as Australia.

The NX can be coded to "dim" the DRL instead of turning it off.

Stock:

Dimmed:

On another note, I also found out there is a Japanese company that can make the NX turn signals sequential!

http://www.e-onestop.jp/rei/lexusnxl...lturnlamp.html

Anyone read Japanese translate?
Old 01-16-16, 04:26 AM
ishimoto
Driver School Candidate

Okay, so it seems to be the same as Australia.

Stock:

Dimmed:

On another note, I also found out there is a Japanese company that can make the NX turn signals sequential!

http://www.e-onestop.jp/rei/lexusnxl...lturnlamp.html

Anyone read Japanese translate?
I am currently looking that company page a few times, because I was very interested to do something like that.
so the change is not really difficult and it can be done with the current NX Lamps, no change require.
The only problem currently is you have to bring the car into the company to Japan^^

so there is no Kit that you can buy and do it yourself yet.
(Hoping the get something out in the future, standing already in line and waiting)

Ken
Old 01-16-16, 06:08 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ishimoto
I am currently looking that company page a few times, because I was very interested to do something like that.
so the change is not really difficult and it can be done with the current NX Lamps, no change require.
The only problem currently is you have to bring the car into the company to Japan^^

so there is no Kit that you can buy and do it yourself yet.
(Hoping the get something out in the future, standing already in line and waiting)

Ken
Using Google translate, I think they are working on a kit. But I'm not completely sure. I'm not that fussed to get sequential turn signals TBH.

Going back to my turn signal question, corradoMR2's NX seems to dim the DRL when indicating, not turn it off. I think he's from Canada?

Hopefully he will see this and respond.
Old 01-16-16, 06:17 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Is this through the OBD Port? If so, which setting is it? I have the software & hardware to change those settings.
Old 01-16-16, 06:22 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Is the DRL supposed to turn off or dim when the indicator is used? I haven't checked (because I'm driving) but it looks like the DRL completely turns off when the indicator is used. I see some videos of it being dimmed instead. Is the US/Canada/European/Asian version different?
Could it be dependent on which DRL assembly an NX has? The base model's DRL is different than one with the Premium Package. See here.
Old 01-16-16, 07:42 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Using Google translate, I think they are working on a kit. But I'm not completely sure. I'm not that fussed to get sequential turn signals TBH.

Going back to my turn signal question, corradoMR2's NX seems to dim the DRL when indicating, not turn it off. I think he's from Canada?

Hopefully he will see this and respond.
CorradoMR2 let me know about this thread via PM and I would like to contribute a bit with my limited Japanese reading skills.

Yes, according to the web site (http://www.e-onestop.jp/rei/lexusnxl...lturnlamp.html), Tamaya LLC has started developing the sequential turn lamps for NX and has made some progress about it.

According to them, their past experiment/test involved using high quality Nichia high power LEDs but encountered some issues. (Nichia in Japan is as popular/high quality as CREE in USA -- you are able to find some IPF LED bulbs that use Nichia LEDs/SMDs)

Now, their current implementation is a cleaner and more natural approach -- it does NOT require any replacement of the factory LEDs that come with NX in order to "maintain" the Lexus quality and for trouble-free, peace of mind operation. The logic for the sequential turn signals is achieved through special harness which has a picture on their Facebook page. Also any error code will be resolved which makes it dealership friendly.

The post that has the picture of the special harness is dated Nov 19, 2015.

https://ja-jp.facebook.com/TAMAYA.LLC/

The current status is -- They will start accepting orders between next week and February.

A little bit background is written on their page --- law in Japan has been revised in 2014 to allow sequential turn lamp in new models.

There are only two places that can have these custom work to be done --- TAMAYA LLC in Osaka and CusomizeFactory NECKS in Saitama . For Osaka location, work be completed on the same day but appointment must be booked ahead of time.

Also something about the suggested price plan -- a switch in the interior is optional and it costs 16,000 yens.

Note: Turn signal/turn light is more commonly known as "winker" in Japan, especially if you read the package of the LED light bulbs from Japanese manufacturers (IPF, PIAA, etc)

Last edited by AndyL; 01-17-16 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-16-16, 08:17 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Is this through the OBD Port? If so, which setting is it? I have the software & hardware to change those settings.
I'm not sure how to code it, but I imagine it's almost defiantly though the OBD port using the Lexus Personalised Settings.

I'm pretty sure corradoMR2's one does dim instead of turning off.

Could it be dependent on which DRL assembly an NX has? The base model's DRL is different than one with the Premium Package.
I am talking about the premium DRL. In Australia, no model gets the base headlight package. You either get:

1. Projector LED + halogen high beam + premium DRL

2. Triple beam LED headlight with LED high beam + premium DRL

We don't have the DRL with the filament bulb turn signal.

Originally Posted by AndyL;9326340Yes, according to the web site ([url
http://www.e-onestop.jp/rei/lexusnxledsequentialturnlamp.html[/url]), Tamaya LLC has started developing the sequential turn lamps for NX and has made some progress about it.
I think one of the questions is, do LED strips have to support sequential lighting? I'm almost positive the LED strip and controller must know how many LEDs there are in the strip, what position they are in and when each one should light up. I'm not sure about the compatibility.

Anyway, I just found out this site by accident. I'm not that fussed to get sequential signals on mine. I've seen them on Audi's here and I think they were cool at first, but it's really tacky. I don't know maybe it will grow on me.

Anyone know about the side markers or how to code the DRL to dim?

Also anyone know how to turn off the DRL? Is that through coding as well?
Old 01-17-16, 04:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Thanks AndyL for the translation. It's definitely clearer than any Google translation services!
Old 01-17-16, 04:48 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks AndyL for the translation. It's definitely clearer than any Google translation services!
So corrado... Can you confirm that you DRL dims when you use the indicator?
Old 01-17-16, 05:39 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

During daylight, when headlights are not on, the LED turns off when the turn signal is activated.
However, when the headlights are on, the LED remains on when the turn signal is activated. The LEDs are also dimmed when the headlights are on.

Hope this helps!
dCota
Old 01-17-16, 05:40 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dCota
During daylight, when headlights are not on, the LED turns off when the turn signal is activated.
However, when the headlights are on, the LED remains on when the turn signal is activated. The LEDs are also dimmed when the headlights are on.

Hope this helps!
dCota
Hey!

Yeah I know the DRL remains on with the headlights are on because they function as the positioning/parker lights.

But I think in earlier models or in different countries, the DRL during the daytime will dim instead of turn off during the day.
Old 01-20-16, 04:15 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey!

Yeah I know the DRL remains on with the headlights are on because they function as the positioning/parker lights.

But I think in earlier models or in different countries, the DRL during the daytime will dim instead of turn off during the day.

I wish that was also the case with my ' 15 NX -- really don't like how it turns off with the turn signal during daylight hours.

Best,
dCota
Old 01-20-16, 05:11 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dCota

I wish that was also the case with my ' 15 NX -- really don't like how it turns off with the turn signal during daylight hours.

Best,
dCota
I'm almost positive you can code it to dim. You need access to the computer setting and customise it. Does anyone know how to do this?

Can yo duo this through the Carista app?

Quick Reply: Front side markers/Indicator question