NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Swacer? Please check in

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 09:33 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Ok ok guys, "someone's" thread does not make it one to talk about anything. It should still stay on topic.

Granted, this thread is a whacky one anyway so as long as it remains professional within the realm of cars, it can have a long life.

Swacer - GT-R possibly out then?
All in good fun. He saw the headline, got scared as his SO probably has the keys to the Camaro.

Yeah, The RC looks like a wicked car. I hear that it's bloated and heavy, but since I would never take it to the track, who cares. Nothing says mid life crisis than this car, or the eventual convertible version of it.
Old 07-20-15, 05:19 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welp, had the chance to take an RC-F out on Friday.

It was a more basic version, as in it was lacking the TVD that I was hoping to try out. However, I figure I will get 90% of the car I was hoping to look at with the one they had.

For this, I simply wanted to see if the car was as great as some had said it was. I personally wanted to see if it was enough to justify dumping the Camaro and not spending the money on engine work.

Took the salesman who sold us the IS and NX out for a drive. We did some spirited driving on back roads with the car in Sport and Sport+, utilized the paddles to see how well the 8 speed shifted, and pretty much just ran the car in as many situations as I could possibly put it into. As an American muscle car owner, one of the things I was looking to see was how the car pulled from a dig. I was pleasantly surprised. With the car in Sport +, TC/SC off, and in manual, from a complete stop, the car pulled nicely, spun the tires entirely through first gear into second and pulled up the road like a champ.

The initial acceleration from the dig was less abusive than the Camaro (probably because of the lack of bottom end torque), but the car quickly got up to speed and by the time first gear got to about 6000 RPM, it was pulling like a champ with air to spare.

Driving around the back roads, I found that while the car is heavy (or perhaps I've become numb due to how heavy the Camaro is), I thought the car well balanced. The brakes are sized appropriately for the car and overall you felt confidence while driving aggressively. Unlike the Camaro however, making turns felt that the front wanted to stay planted, which is different from what I'm used to as the Camaro just wants to PUSH the front end everywhere.

I'll keep this short since most probably don't care about all of my thoughts....

Pros:
1. Very refined, very balanced ride
2. Brakes and Suspension well tuned for the average spirited driver
3. Engine is responsive when all nannies are turned off and very quick up the RPM band. Reminds me of a 5.0 mustang a lot.
4. Once its starts pulling, its very addicting to just leave your foot in it
5. Certainly a head turner, had a guy with an SRT8 Jeep lean out of his car to watch us go by, and later had a lady in a RS5 just stare and smile.
6. Even with the stock exhaust...that burble sounds great.

Cons:
1. Fuel Pump issues are all over the RC-F threads (these are very disappointing and very unToyota like....)
2. Spoiler issues are all over the RC-F threads (these are very disappointing and very unToyota like....)
3. Interior is pretty much the same as the IS we currently have. I would think for an additional 25k over my wife's IS, there would be more differences.
4. Delayed opening of the second intake butterfly during normal spirited driving conditions
5. Desperately needs an exhaust

While I have some complaints, I find myself in love with the car. It is all the muscle the Camaro is, with all the refinements that Chevy couldn't ever provide.

Given the issues that are running rampid over on the RC-F thread, I think I will sit back and wait for the MY17. That will allow them to fix the issues now (they better with the GS-F coming out soon...) and MY16 (which you already get a MY16 if you order now - 4 month wait), and then hope to get a few refreshed items in 2017 (Like a HUD that a $75k should have...).

The Camaro's days are numbered....

Looks great in the driveway...wouldn't you agree?

Name:  E53F2652-2102-4626-8FB4-A7D6DB869E74_zps2m29bpa1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  327.3 KB
Old 07-20-15, 05:50 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Looks great, and I know some of the issues will be worked out. Surprised about the fuel pump as I think it's the same one in the IS-F but who knows.

Would you consider a faux-rari color combo? Red with tan interior. That red looks gorgeous, regardless of anyone has to say about middle aged men driving red sport cars.
Old 07-20-15, 05:58 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Looks great, and I know some of the issues will be worked out. Surprised about the fuel pump as I think it's the same one in the IS-F but who knows.

Would you consider a faux-rari color combo? Red with tan interior. That red looks gorgeous, regardless of anyone has to say about middle aged men driving red sport cars.
I am not sure if its the same one. I think they needed a high pressure pump when going from the IS-F to the RC-F. Perhaps they picked a wrong vendor, or their engineers undersized the pump? Hard to say without seeing how they failed.

Color wise, I'm in love with the Orange. I think the orange with the carbon fiber is straight up gorgeous. I'd probably go with black seats in that case. And depends what you call middle aged man...I'll only be 30 lol
Old 07-20-15, 07:01 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Test drove the RCF in the spring and loved it. It's a Jeckyl/Hyde vehicle, in a good way. A docile GT daily driver while on the other hand, a track performer when needed.

Agree with your pros/cons and pretty much why I'm also waiting. But, I'm also waiting to see the upcoming FT-1 / Supra based on the upcoming BMW Z4 platform which will be a killer car too.

And yes, that RC F looks awesome in your driveway though Solar Flare will pop!
Old 07-20-15, 08:15 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

You're looking to pursue an F as well? Then perhaps we should keep in touch as time progresses and exchange info as its found.

Personally, I think the Supra is going to be underwhelming. Toyota is not going to want a "Toyota" performance car having more power than a Lexus "F" car. I assume it will be very similar to how the Camaro is never allowed to surpass a Vette in hp numbers. Plus, I get concerned on how many "sacrifices" you'll have to give in order for them to make the Supra reach Toyota pricing scales. Lots of uncertainty there IMO

I found that the Michelin PSSs were a good tire for the car, but if you'd put a dedicated drag radial back there, I bet you the car becomes a whole different beast. Only question that raises is, how strong is that rear differential? Sometimes losing traction saves parts lol

I was telling my wife that perhaps sometimes I need to get a car that doesn't allow me to mod as much as I'd like. Modding internals just becomes a chase of "whats broke now...?" lol I joked and told her that I would look forward to someone as simple as changing the paddles to carbon fiber paddles lol

Finally, I figure by 2017, they will have 2 MYs of RC-Fs through, will be at a first stage refresh, and they will also have a year's worth the data on the GS-F. I think the 2017 will be the first year to really have it. But we shall see. Plus, gonna need a year to get the wife on board, Camaro was supposed to be a keeper lol

Last edited by Swacer; 07-20-15 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-20-15, 08:31 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
I am not sure if its the same one. I think they needed a high pressure pump when going from the IS-F to the RC-F. Perhaps they picked a wrong vendor, or their engineers undersized the pump? Hard to say without seeing how they failed.

Color wise, I'm in love with the Orange. I think the orange with the carbon fiber is straight up gorgeous. I'd probably go with black seats in that case. And depends what you call middle aged man...I'll only be 30 lol
BTW, is that a Christmas wreath I see on the storm door? Did you also leave the decorative lights on?
Old 07-20-15, 08:36 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by My0gr81
BTW, is that a Christmas wreath I see on the storm door? Did you also leave the decorative lights on?
lol, its a wreath, but not a Christmas one. My wife has like 5 of them that she changes out as the year progresses.
Old 07-29-15, 04:02 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Have a meeting with a local Nissan dealer on Saturday to look at a GT-R. Hoping that I can sit in the car and remember why I loved it so much. Then I can start looking for a used 2014+ in the spring or a leftover 2015 that a deal "has to get off the lot at a heavy discount" lol
Old 07-30-15, 12:25 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHA

To be entirely honest, I don't know. I've wanted a GT-R since I first test drove one in 2009. The car has been my dream car. However, I wouldn't JUST have a GT-R, it would be a second toy lol

In 2011, I nearly ordered an IS-F from my local dealer, but decided against it and ordered the Camaro months later. Now, I have loved the RC-F since the day I saw it.

Like I said, I'm at the huge stepping stone on what to do with the Camaro, and I feel it is in my best interest to explore all options before moving forward. I just dont' want to spend the money on the Camaro and then think to myself "well crap....with all that money I could have done X instead". So I want to eliminate all the Xs lol

My attraction to the RC-F is the tech curve and the advancement in motor design/interior design. I am a tech geek and those things attract me like a moth to a light. My concern is the modability. I looked at an IS-F a year or so back and was pushed way because it was only 416hp and had little flexibility for mechanical mods to increase overall power. Now the RC-F is a different motor, different setup, and the mod market is just beginning. So I'm wondering, will it have the modablity to allow me to put headers/exhaust/intake/throttle body ect, or will I have my hands tied?

I talked to our salesman (who sold us the IS and NX), and he is going to let me take an RC-F out for a test drive on Friday. I will probably run it through the modes and see if I can get the "feel" I am looking for out of the RC-F that I get from the Camaro. Can I get that muscle car feel? Or does the refined feel of the car make up for that? Can I get it to just light the tires if I play on the road correctly? And overall, does it just give that "permagrin" that one looks for in a performance car? If it doesn't....then I have my decision already made. If it does...well...going to have a lot ot think about. I wouldn't be in any rush. Given the first year groans I've heard from the RC-F forum with fuel pumps, spoiler issues, and engine cutoff issues, I would wait until MY16 before considering anything which would be sometime next year.

As for the GT-R....it won't kill it off, but simply knock it back a few extra years. I would end up buying one used anyways, so just means the used prices will be lower lol
Brother.. Pass on the RC-F. I'm sorry, it looks cool but it just.. doesn't work. If you like the look, best to just get the RC350 and mod as you please. As a performance machine, you will be surrounded by vastly superior machinery in that price range. If you want performance bang-for-your-buck, theres no beating a lightly used GT-R with full bolt on's. Mine was at 550 awhp doing 10.8 in the quarter with just Cobb, downpipes, midpipe and intakes.
Old 07-30-15, 04:47 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by optokki
Brother.. Pass on the RC-F. I'm sorry, it looks cool but it just.. doesn't work. If you like the look, best to just get the RC350 and mod as you please. As a performance machine, you will be surrounded by vastly superior machinery in that price range. If you want performance bang-for-your-buck, theres no beating a lightly used GT-R with full bolt on's. Mine was at 550 awhp doing 10.8 in the quarter with just Cobb, downpipes, midpipe and intakes.
I'm not sure overall what I'm looking for. I see the performance part, but I also know the refinement I have with our Lexus cars and that has made me spoiled as well.

As for the RC350, if it drives anything like my wife's IS350, I'll be bored in a matter of days. While the car is nice, the power just isn't there.

I'm looking for a performance car that I can enjoy day to day, mod a little, but unlike my Camaro, not have to be under the hood going "what is that #%(*# sound?" "Why isn't the car working right?" I just want it to be reliable. Now, I've read a lot on gtrlife that the car seems to overall be quite reliable if you play everything in the right way, and the price of upkeep isn't that bad if you're able to do most things yourself.
Old 07-30-15, 01:18 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure overall what I'm looking for. I see the performance part, but I also know the refinement I have with our Lexus cars and that has made me spoiled as well.

As for the RC350, if it drives anything like my wife's IS350, I'll be bored in a matter of days. While the car is nice, the power just isn't there.

I'm looking for a performance car that I can enjoy day to day, mod a little, but unlike my Camaro, not have to be under the hood going "what is that #%(*# sound?" "Why isn't the car working right?" I just want it to be reliable. Now, I've read a lot on gtrlife that the car seems to overall be quite reliable if you play everything in the right way, and the price of upkeep isn't that bad if you're able to do most things yourself.
I hear ya. I think its every car enthusiast end goal to have a wicked fast car that you can drive day-in day-out without having to worry about it breaking. That being said, I feel like the RC-F is the mediocre of both worlds, so to speak. Its not particularly exhilarating from a performance aspect, its certainly not economical and as you mentioned, it hasn't been characteristically Lexus reliable. In Canada a new one would cost around 90k, and for that kind of cash, you could get a lightly used GT-R maybe a couple years old with 10,000 miles and have a car that is much faster, more 'special', and even more economical in terms of fuel economy AND cost to own. The only drawback would be that its a stiffer ride but you have the NX for that
Old 08-03-15, 06:12 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Went to the local Nissan dealer to take a look at the '16 GT-R they had. It literally took one press of the start button to remember why I loved that car so very much. However, I will note, it needs an exhaust like no other.

I will say, in 2009, when my college DD was a 1991 Accord, the interior of the GT-R was like a space ship. However, given how technology has advanced (and so have my DDs lol), Nissan refuses to update the dash which makes the interior of the GT-R seems dated when compared to the RC-F. However, dash display aside, the GT-R IMO is a superior car and pulled me right back in like a kid on Christmas.

The dealer I went to though wasn't that great, they were rather unprofessional to be honest. Very cocky about the GT-R they had, how little flexibility they wanted to offer on any kind of pricing (even though people are getting 20-25k off MSPR on 2015s) (They also acted very bitter when I told them they were overpricing a used 2015 for $84k when people are buying new 2015s for that), and just overall not a place I would offer money to. They are the same organization that destroyed my genesis coupe when I had one.

Either way...I believe the next sports car will be a Godzilla. Now just a matter of searching for the right one at the right price. I figure this will probably take a year.

Last edited by Swacer; 08-03-15 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-03-15, 10:01 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Went to the local Nissan dealer to take a look at the '16 GT-R they had. It literally took one press of the start button to remember why I loved that car so very much. However, I will note, it needs an exhaust like no other.

I will say, in 2009, when my college DD was a 1991 Accord, the interior of the GT-R was like a space ship. However, given how technology has advanced (and so have my DDs lol), Nissan refuses to update the dash which makes the interior of the GT-R seems dated when compared to the RC-F. However, dash display aside, the GT-R IMO is a superior car and pulled me right back in like a kid on Christmas.

The dealer I went to though wasn't that great, they were rather unprofessional to be honest. Very cocky about the GT-R they had, how little flexibility they wanted to offer on any kind of pricing (even though people are getting 20-25k off MSPR on 2015s) (They also acted very bitter when I told them they were overpricing a used 2015 for $84k when people are buying new 2015s for that), and just overall not a place I would offer money to. They are the same organization that destroyed my genesis coupe when I had one.

Either way...I believe the next sports car will be a Godzilla. Now just a matter of searching for the right one at the right price. I figure this will probably take a year.
If you're gonna buy new, wait a year for the next gen (R36) GTR. Pretty good chance we will see it for the 2017 or 2018 model year. If you want a GTR now, you should def buy used. Anything 2012+ will be an almost identical car. You can save a lot of money that way and still end up with a fairly low mileage, well taken care of car. I would just be choked to pay close to MSRP on a 16 GTR and then have it completely revamped for the next year.
Old 08-03-15, 10:14 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by optokki
If you're gonna buy new, wait a year for the next gen (R36) GTR. Pretty good chance we will see it for the 2017 or 2018 model year. If you want a GTR now, you should def buy used. Anything 2012+ will be an almost identical car. You can save a lot of money that way and still end up with a fairly low mileage, well taken care of car. I would just be choked to pay close to MSRP on a 16 GTR and then have it completely revamped for the next year.
I've thought about the proposed R36, but the hybrid drive train completely disinterests me. I have no interest in using electric motors to make more power. Old school, perhaps, but in all honesty, I'd rather just have the twin turbo V6. Plus, my heart has always been set on the R35.

I fully agree with you on 2012+ used, though I'm thinking 2013+ since a few adjustments to R-mode were made to help improve it and its reliability.

And I agree on the MSRP, the salesmen were quite rude when I said that 107k for a premium was just crazy overpricing. I would rather just find a 2013-2014 and ride off into the sunset (I hate the 2015-2016 tail light rings) lol

Quick Reply: Swacer? Please check in