NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Final Review - Thanks to NX Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 07:26 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
Agreed corradoMR2 ...great sum up of what I think most of us feel here. Dezoris, the comparison with Rav4 hits a very bad spot with me. While at a gas station, an owner of a GX was behind me, and ask how I loved my new souped up Rav4. This was very degrading...I wish that Lexus had never mentioned the Rav4 platform which the NX was built on, because it has stirred up much dis like among drivers of the NX. The NX is not a Rav4 ! I have driven one, and it is totally different. I didn't pay 45,000. for someone to tell me I have a glorified Rav 4. I do consider the ignorance of the person, however many reviews love to degrade the NX by saying that the NX is basically a glorified Rav4, and that is wrong ! As mentioned, Alex on Autos is one of the finest reviews of cars, and I suggest that many of you that seek to do car reviews, should watch him, and take note. I trust his reviews more than others, and watch his videos all the time. Lexus did a superb job of creating a new small cuv that is different. If you look at so many these days, they all look the same. I think I can speak for others here that this is why we love the NX...it is different, a piece of art, and stands out against the others. That is what makes it special, so why not mention the cool new grille that makes a statement that is now becoming the grille for most of the new Lexus models in a positive manner. The beautiful lines and shapes of the exterior. I find too many reviews wanting everything to look the same as other vehicles. How boring is that ? So will you take note of all our comments, and make the video and review more about what the NX is really about ? You have heard from owners, which are the true reviews. When I look at cars, the reviews I read come from the owners. After all, they know the daily ride better than anyone else. And then reviews like Alex, with a professional, neutral tone. Please learn from these post
One thing to keep in mind (and I'm certainly not defending dez) is that MANY cars are built on other platforms. For example:

Lexus IS = Toyota Corolla Chassis (I don't know if that's true for the current gen tho...)
Lexus GS = Toyota Avalon/Camry Chassis
Lexus NX = Toyota Rav4 Chassis

Lets try some others:

2010-2015 Camaro = 2008-2010 Pontiac G8 chassis
Cadillac ATS = 2016 Chevy Camaro Chassis
Cadillac Escalade = Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon
Acura RDX = Honda CRV chassis
Acura MDX = Honda Pilot chassis
Lincoln MKC = Ford Escape chassis
Lincoln MKX = Ford Edge chassis

I think without going onto a LONG list, you get my idea. A car company will always reuse a chassis across multiple lines if they can. Its simply good business practice.

Don't take the Rav4 comment personal. Heck, I wouldn't even apply it to the car. Toyota only stated the obvious when they said they took the Rav4 and completely redesigned it. If they DIDN"T say that, you'd have people saying "why didn't you just say its a redesigned Rav4?". Its a lot easier to just come out and say it.

People that say things like "Oh its a supped up Rav4", just simply want to feel smart that they know where the chassis came from. The idea of it being supped up is GM and Ford's fault for doing simply that. A 2005 Escalade literally was nothing more than a 2005 Tahoe with leather and a few extra pretty wood body panels. that was it, you were paying for the name alone. Now, that's not to say the Japanese aren't applicable to that, but they tend to make the cars be much more different to me the segment they are trying to sell to.

Next time, instead of getting upset, simply state "Yes, it shares the same chassis, I'm glad you were able to identify that!", get back in your car and leave.

There will always be a hater. Best thing you can do, is identify how stupid they are and move along.
Old 07-09-15, 07:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Yup, it's virtually impossible to get a mainstream vehicle these days that doesn't share a platform with something else. IMO it's not a bad thing. A good platform is a solid place to start.

As a two time ES350 owner I've read a lot about its relationship to the Camry (the current gen ES shares its platform with the Avalon). Again, not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 07-09-15, 08:12 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=Swacer;9106664]One thing to keep in mind (and I'm certainly not defending dez) is that MANY cars are built on other platforms. For example:

Lexus IS = Toyota Corolla Chassis (I don't know if that's true for the current gen tho...)

Well, you got most of these wrong! The IS bears no relationship to the Corolla which is a front drive platform. Same with the GS, no relation to the Avalon/GS!

The ES is based on the Avalon chassis which is a modified Camry platform. The RX is based on the same front wheel drive platform but is more closely related to the minivan.

Platform sharing is indeed common, but the Lexus IS, GS, and LS are not based on any Toyota platforms sold in the US.

Also, the ATS is not based on the Camaro, but is part of a new platform series for GM. In fact, the next Camaro (2016) is based on the ATS platform which is hundreds of pounds lighter than the current Camaro. Base engine on the new Camaro will even be a 4 cyl like the ATS coupe.
Steve
Old 07-09-15, 08:16 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I, for one, am terribly upset that many of the bolts used in the car come from the same factory that makes bolts for bidets and toilets. I do not have a crappy car!
Old 07-09-15, 08:25 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swacer
There will always be a hater. Best thing you can do, is identify how stupid they are and move along.
Agreed... a vehicle that is as aggressively designed as the NX 200t will have its detractors.
Old 07-09-15, 08:30 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=oldcajun;9106719]
One thing to keep in mind (and I'm certainly not defending dez) is that MANY cars are built on other platforms. For example:

Well, you got most of these wrong! The IS bears no relationship to the Corolla which is a front drive platform. Same with the GS, no relation to the Avalon/GS!

The ES is based on the Avalon chassis which is a modified Camry platform. The RX is based on the same front wheel drive platform but is more closely related to the minivan.

Platform sharing is indeed common, but the Lexus IS, GS, and LS are not based on any Toyota platforms sold in the US.

Also, the ATS is not based on the Camaro, but is part of a new platform series for GM. In fact, the next Camaro (2016) is based on the ATS platform which is hundreds of pounds lighter than the current Camaro. Base engine on the new Camaro will even be a 4 cyl like the ATS coupe.
Steve
You don't say about the Camaro? lol I was simply stating that the luxury model shares a chassis with a lower brand.

And dont' get me started on a 4 cylinder Camaro..it makes me vomit.... Yay...a muscle car name that sounds like a weedwacker.... ugh #%(#%@#(%

Last edited by Swacer; 07-09-15 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-09-15, 08:30 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
I, for one, am terribly upset that many of the bolts used in the car come from the same factory that makes bolts for bidets and toilets. I do not have a crappy car!
Have you seen some of the Japanese toilets and bidets? They can cost more than a small car and offer amenities I would love in a Lexus (ie ventilated seats for the NX F-Sport).

BTW, the 1IS was based on the JDM Altezza chassis. The 2IS was based on a modified GS chassis which was also a modified Altezza chassis. The 3IS is based on less modified but new GS chassis. There are no equivalent Toyota NA models that use that particular chassis.

But I digress, I think most of the feedback to Dezoris has been respectful, and, while he may have taken it as being hostile, I don't think it was ever intended or came across that way.
Old 07-09-15, 08:33 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Have you seen some of the Japanese toilets and bidets? They can cost more than a small car and offer amenities I would love in a Lexus (ie ventilated seats for the NX F-Sport).

BTW, the 1IS was based on the JDM Altezza chassis. The 2IS was based on a modified GS chassis which was also a modified Altezza chassis. The 3IS is based on less modified but new GS chassis. There are no equivalent Toyota NA models that use that particular chassis.

But I digress, I think most of the feedback to Dezoris has been respectful, and, while he may have taken it as being hostile, I don't think it was ever intended or came across that way.
Hmm....that surprises me, but I'm still interested on the actual frame size and shape being reused. Either way.... I can be wrong from time to time.
Old 07-09-15, 08:39 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Have you seen some of the Japanese toilets and bidets?
Not only have I seen them, I have been in Japan and used them in my hotel rooms and company offices. They are called washolets or washlets, and they are truly awesome. Toto makes a good, albeit expensive, one for the U.S. market.
Old 07-09-15, 09:33 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm....that surprises me, but I'm still interested on the actual frame size and shape being reused. Either way.... I can be wrong from time to time.
The IS/GS are primary RWD platforms where as the ES/NX/RX are primary FWD platforms.

I know you know this already, Swacer, but for others that may not be familiar with this:

Chassis are developed with a drive train and a resulting engine mount direction in mind. For RWD, they need to make room for the propeller shaft in the middle. The engine mount points determine if the chassis will accommodate transverse or longitudinal facing motors, again based on FWD or RWD.

Once a chassis is designed, it can be modified and adapted to different uses, but most primary characteristics remain to leverage chassis testing for most of the crash, rigidity and flex testing.

Toyota makes a point of differentiating "platform" sharing from "chassis" sharing. They see a platform as any combination of a sum of chassis, drive train and suspension, where as chassis sharing is just that the unibody metal frame.

BMW for example designate a different chassis for an entire series or models. The e39 and e46 chassis had a lot in common, but designated the 5 series and 3 series in their respective sizes and class of cars at the time.

Last edited by My0gr81; 07-09-15 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-09-15, 08:18 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lets try some others:

2010-2015 Camaro = 2008-2010 Pontiac G8 chassis
Cadillac ATS = 2016 Chevy Camaro Chassis
Cadillac Escalade = Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon
Acura RDX = Honda CRV chassis
Acura MDX = Honda Pilot chassis
Lincoln MKC = Ford Escape chassis
Lincoln MKX = Ford Edge chassis

I think without going onto a LONG list, you get my idea. A car company will always reuse a chassis across multiple lines if they can. Its simply good business practice.

Don't take the Rav4 comment personal. Heck, I wouldn't even apply it to the car. Toyota only stated the obvious when they said they took the Rav4 and completely redesigned it. If they DIDN"T say that, you'd have people saying "why didn't you just say its a redesigned Rav4?". Its a lot easier to just come out and say it.

People that say things like "Oh its a supped up Rav4", just simply want to feel smart that they know where the chassis came from. The idea of it being supped up is GM and Ford's fault for doing simply that. A 2005 Escalade literally was nothing more than a 2005 Tahoe with leather and a few extra pretty wood body panels. that was it, you were paying for the name alone. Now, that's not to say the Japanese aren't applicable to that, but they tend to make the cars be much more different to me the segment they are trying to sell to.

Next time, instead of getting upset, simply state "Yes, it shares the same chassis, I'm glad you were able to identify that!", get back in your car and leave.

Oh, for sure I would have made sure to mention that his Lexus GX was actually a Toyota 4Runner.. Would have loved to see the response to that! LOL! Sorry, guys, my computer is being a real challenge today. My response here was in response to the gentleman that was at the gas station and was subjected to the "Souped-up RAV-4" comment by the Lexus GX owner.

Last edited by EMSLEXUSRX; 07-09-15 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-10-15, 03:12 AM
DBCOM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Dezoris, you're fine, dude. People don't like others pointing out that their kid is fat or bad at sports. As long as it's not coming from a place of malice - and your review, IMO, is not - then people need to learn to get over it.
Best analogy on this thread! A lot of reviews are based on opinion and comparisons, so what? To each their own right? You don't like the front grill on the F-Sport, some people love it! Hell, that's part of the reason I took the F-Sport over the other trim. That Madonna comparison fell a little short though, no offence! A lot of brands now are adopting all black grills and it's nice for a change, but again, that's my opinion.

Although some people might disagree, when buying luxury brands of anything, people who spend that extra money have a certain expectation and portrayed image of this product. If I'm watching a review for a Rolls Royce and they end up making a style comparison to a Chrysler 300, of course I'll be like WTF? Do I care whether the NX chassis is based off the RAV 4? Not really! I don't look down on people who drive a RAV 4 so why would this change my opinion of the NX?

My expectations from a review are purely objective as I already have my own opinion of the vehicle. I don't care what you think, I care about whether it's good on gas, is it safe for my family, does it have enough power for me to pass a car on the highway, is the visibility around the vehicle good, will my golf bag fit in the back.... These are the things I look for in a review because if I already like the look of it, I don't care what anyone else thinks, I'm the one driving it.
Old 07-10-15, 04:26 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DBCOM
Best analogy on this thread! A lot of reviews are based on opinion and comparisons, so what? To each their own right? You don't like the front grill on the F-Sport, some people love it! Hell, that's part of the reason I took the F-Sport over the other trim. That Madonna comparison fell a little short though, no offence! A lot of brands now are adopting all black grills and it's nice for a change, but again, that's my opinion.

Although some people might disagree, when buying luxury brands of anything, people who spend that extra money have a certain expectation and portrayed image of this product. If I'm watching a review for a Rolls Royce and they end up making a style comparison to a Chrysler 300, of course I'll be like WTF? Do I care whether the NX chassis is based off the RAV 4? Not really! I don't look down on people who drive a RAV 4 so why would this change my opinion of the NX?

My expectations from a review are purely objective as I already have my own opinion of the vehicle. I don't care what you think, I care about whether it's good on gas, is it safe for my family, does it have enough power for me to pass a car on the highway, is the visibility around the vehicle good, will my golf bag fit in the back.... These are the things I look for in a review because if I already like the look of it, I don't care what anyone else thinks, I'm the one driving it.
PERFECTLY STATED!