NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Trouble with starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-15, 03:20 AM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trouble with starting

Anyone had trouble with the NX not starting after pushing the start button? This happened to me several times in my wife's two month old NX. The strange thing is it only happens when I start the vehicle. My wife said it never happens to her.
I have the brake fully depressed and push the button, the electronics come on and the engine tries to turn over once then nothing. Sometimes it takes two or three pushes to get it started.
We've driven Lexus vehicles for 15 years so you would think I know how to start them
Any thoughts?
Old 07-04-15, 06:50 AM
papa214
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALE81
Anyone had trouble with the NX not starting after pushing the start button? This happened to me several times in my wife's two month old NX. The strange thing is it only happens when I start the vehicle. My wife said it never happens to her.
I have the brake fully depressed and push the button, the electronics come on and the engine tries to turn over once then nothing. Sometimes it takes two or three pushes to get it started.
We've driven Lexus vehicles for 15 years so you would think I know how to start them
Any thoughts?
I've had this happen a few times. i will mention when i take it in for the 5K inspection.
Old 07-04-15, 07:57 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ALE81
Any thoughts?
That's a "get the dealer involved" issue. But good luck when you can't reproduce the issue on demand unless they already know a reason this might happen!
Old 07-04-15, 09:25 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

For me it happens consistently with low fuel in the tank. It cranks 4-5 times before starting. Easily avoidable in this case...
Old 07-04-15, 09:29 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never had this happen.

OP, look in your manual and find the starter fuse. Pull that fuse and check its condition. If it's ok, leave it out of the car for 2 hours and then put back in and see if it fixes it. If it's damaged or looks burned, replace and notify dealer.
Old 07-04-15, 09:39 AM
ALE81
Driver

I appreciate the all the replies. I'll check the starter fuse and pay attention to the fuel level next time it happens. Funny thing is I was concerned it was going to happen at the gas station after I filled up the car yesterday, but it started fine after fill up.
Thanks again for the replies.
Old 07-04-15, 11:39 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Fuel level shouldn't really be a factor unless you're running a lot of boost and have huge fuel injectors.

Mr2, if it's when you're low on fuel, I would question your pcv valve. I would recommend pulling it and seeing if it got clogged up or if the valve seat is damaged.
Old 07-05-15, 10:09 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

There is a sequence I can duplicate:

- get in and as I press the brake pedal, reach for the start button. Timing is critical, as if I don't get the brake pedal just a tad ahead of the start button, the car just turns to accessory mode.

- if the car is in accessory mode and keep the brake pressed and press the start button again, the car shift to "'ON" mode, but doesn't crank the engine.

- if the car is in accessory mode and I release the brake pedal and press it again before pressing the start button, the starter engages and the car starts.

I've never had an instance where the engine hasn't started if the starter engaged.
Old 07-06-15, 05:59 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Swacer
Fuel level shouldn't really be a factor unless you're running a lot of boost and have huge fuel injectors.

Mr2, if it's when you're low on fuel, I would question your pcv valve. I would recommend pulling it and seeing if it got clogged up or if the valve seat is damaged.

Interesting you say this since I always noticed cars taking one or two more cranks to start when fuel is really low (i.e. less than 1 gallon). I have experienced this with the IS too from day one, but the cranking is more apparent with the 2L Turbo in my experience requiring more. Our cars are also on a slight incline on the driveway which possibly further exacerbates the issue.

I'm curious to hear from other owners on any correlation to low fuel and difficulty starting.
Old 07-06-15, 06:30 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Interesting you say this since I always noticed cars taking one or two more cranks to start when fuel is really low (i.e. less than 1 gallon). I have experienced this with the IS too from day one, but the cranking is more apparent with the 2L Turbo in my experience requiring more. Our cars are also on a slight incline on the driveway which possibly further exacerbates the issue.

I'm curious to hear from other owners on any correlation to low fuel and difficulty starting.
Well, if you have less than 1 gallon, then its an entirely different discussion. With that low of gas, it takes an extra moment for the fuel pump to pressures the gas tank since there is so little fuel to use. that would perhaps explain the required additional cranks before it turns over.
Old 07-06-15, 09:28 AM
penone
Driver

I notice on my IS250 that if I have my phone in my pocket together with the FOB the car would not start. I do get the No Key Found (or something like that) message on the dash though.
Old 07-07-15, 07:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Swacer
Well, if you have less than 1 gallon, then its an entirely different discussion. With that low of gas, it takes an extra moment for the fuel pump to pressures the gas tank since there is so little fuel to use. that would perhaps explain the required additional cranks before it turns over.
Makes sense.
Old 07-08-15, 04:39 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
For me it happens consistently with low fuel in the tank. It cranks 4-5 times before starting. Easily avoidable in this case...
I think that's it. It happens to me too when I am low on fuel.

As soon as I fill up it goes away.
Old 08-11-15, 01:34 PM
papa214
Rookie

mentioned this to the service advisor when I made the appointment for the 5k check up. mentioned others had this issue from this forum. never heard of this forum.... Surprise, surprise,
as I suspected the tech could not duplicate.
was told when it happened again maybe I could stop by so they could check it out.... when if I got it started how am I going to duplicate it by not starting?????
Low fuel not an issue. engine cold temp, outside temp over 85 F. engine warm outside temp over 85 F.

anybody else have this issue & got it fixed?? or let us know when it happens again...
Old 08-11-15, 06:17 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this happen to me before. Let me give you a bit of history. I used to have a CT200h. And there wasn't any real "starting" of that car, more like turning it on. So I would press the brake pedal, hit the start button quickly and immediately lift my foot off the brake and drive off.

In the NX's case, when I did that, I found that if I took my foot off the brake before the engine has fully started, it will stop the starter and go into acc mode. It was happening to me intermittenly until I made the connection and when I make sure I keep my foot on the brake, the issue no longer happens.

So try it. Keep pressing the pedal in until the engine is fully started. If thats not the case, then it sounds like a more serious issue.

Quick Reply: Trouble with starting