NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Trouble with starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 02:17 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, this should not be happening at all. I've never owned a vehicle that had issues starting after just one press of the start button unless there was battery issues. Even in -40 Edmonton weather, my 8 year old IS250 started every time. The engine might not fire up as quickly but the starter would always keep trying until the engine started.
Old 08-12-15, 05:06 AM
papa214
Rookie

Originally Posted by papa214
mentioned this to the service advisor when I made the appointment for the 5k check up. mentioned others had this issue from this forum. never heard of this forum.... Surprise, surprise,
as I suspected the tech could not duplicate.
was told when it happened again maybe I could stop by so they could check it out.... when if I got it started how am I going to duplicate it by not starting?????
Low fuel not an issue. engine cold temp, outside temp over 85 F. engine warm outside temp over 85 F.

anybody else have this issue & got it fixed?? or let us know when it happens again...
Forgot to mention that after I left the dealer Saturday morn stopped at the store on the way home came back out to start the car & wont you know it, it did not start... guess I should have gone back to the dealer to let them know.....
Old 08-12-15, 09:54 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by papa214
Forgot to mention that after I left the dealer Saturday morn stopped at the store on the way home came back out to start the car & wont you know it, it did not start... guess I should have gone back to the dealer to let them know.....
A suggestion. It's a bit of an inconvenience, but video record your startups until you get one that fails. This way you can show Lexus (and post on youtube/here if you like too).
Old 08-12-15, 11:25 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm beginning to think crank positioner sensor.
Old 08-12-15, 04:11 PM
papa214
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
A suggestion. It's a bit of an inconvenience, but video record your startups until you get one that fails. This way you can show Lexus (and post on youtube/here if you like too).
I will give that a try. thx.
also thx for the tip with the Turtle wax product.
Old 09-17-15, 06:36 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to follow up regarding this thread I started a couple of months ago. At least in my circumstance the starting issue seems to be "user error"..lol. The NX is my wife's car and the first car either of us owned with a push button start. My wife never had one problem starting the vehicle but it was happening to me almost every other time I drove her car. Anyway, it looks like I was pushing the button too long. After watching my wife start the car I noticed it took just a quick button push whereas I was pushing and holding the button for an extra second. I trialed my new button push protocol and I haven't had a non start since I changed the push duration.
Hope this helps others that may be having a problem. I appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions!
Old 09-18-15, 04:29 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ALE81
I wanted to follow up regarding this thread I started a couple of months ago. At least in my circumstance the starting issue seems to be "user error"..lol. The NX is my wife's car and the first car either of us owned with a push button start. My wife never had one problem starting the vehicle but it was happening to me almost every other time I drove her car. Anyway, it looks like I was pushing the button too long. After watching my wife start the car I noticed it took just a quick button push whereas I was pushing and holding the button for an extra second. I trialed my new button push protocol and I haven't had a non start since I changed the push duration.
Hope this helps others that may be having a problem. I appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions!
Oh yeah, don't hold that button down at all. It has a constant crank system already within it that will keep cranking the engine until it starts or times out. It doesn't need any extra "encouragement".