NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX F Sport Too much road feedback in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 10:16 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default NX F Sport Too much road feedback in steering wheel

Hey everyone I just purchased a NX Fsport yesterday and i noticed that when driving 40mph plus that i get a lot of road feedback into the steering wheel where its to the point that its annoying. This is mostly bothersome when driving on the highway at 60 mph.
I noticed that i have yokohama geolandar g91 tires and they feel extremely cheap/hard. I also looked up the ratings on them and consumer affairs website has this model tires at 70% of people giving it a 1 star and most of them claimed that the tire blew out and cause vehicle damage.

Im going to the dealer tomorrow to voice my concern. Im going on a test drive and going to see if another f sport drives the same way.

But since its a new car I was wondering if anyone else noticed constant road feedback while driving on the highway. This happens even when on a smooth patch of black top. This truck should have almost no feedback you would think..
Old 07-02-15, 10:18 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

also what tire temperature does everyone run after the tires are warmed up? mine are currently at 37,38 in the from and 37,36 in the rear. I was wondering if that is causing my issue too. maybe too much pressure.
Old 07-02-15, 10:19 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/tires/yokohama.html
Old 07-03-15, 06:15 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I do not seem to have this problem with my F Sport...the ride is very smooth and quiet on regular and smooth surface roads. The ride on rougher surface roads is more noticeable ...I have the same tires, and they are at 36 lbs
Old 07-03-15, 07:57 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

Thanks Ron, This morning i checked cold tire pressure and it was 35,36 front and 36,37 rear
the recommended on the sticker says 32 cold for both front and rear. So i let out the air and took for a drive. Immediately noticed an improvement in ride quality as well as road noise. Also after driving for about a half hour on the highway the pressures went from 32 to 36 and stayed at 36 steady, so I'm assuming a 4 psi increase from heating up the tires.
Im assuming after driving and the tires heating up with the before pressures my tires were at 39,40 in the fronts which would definitely make the car ride harsher.
Old 07-03-15, 08:09 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunhill421
Thanks Ron, This morning i checked cold tire pressure and it was 35,36 front and 36,37 rear
the recommended on the sticker says 32 cold for both front and rear. So i let out the air and took for a drive. Immediately noticed an improvement in ride quality as well as road noise. Also after driving for about a half hour on the highway the pressures went from 32 to 36 and stayed at 36 steady, so I'm assuming a 4 psi increase from heating up the tires.
Im assuming after driving and the tires heating up with the before pressures my tires were at 39,40 in the fronts which would definitely make the car ride harsher.
When I first got my NX my Geolandars were inflated to about 38 psi and the ride was pretty jittery. Once I pulled them down to 33 psi the ride got much, much smoother. Gas mileage dropped a bit too, but I expected that.
Old 07-03-15, 02:18 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
When I first got my NX my Geolandars were inflated to about 38 psi and the ride was pretty jittery. Once I pulled them down to 33 psi the ride got much, much smoother. Gas mileage dropped a bit too, but I expected that.
Yeah it seems to be a big difference when you bring them down to the recommended pressure. I can deal with the mpg. I bought a lexus to ride like a lexus.

I do plan on purchasing Michelin primacy MXM tires. I had them on another car and they made a big difference in ride quality.
Michelin uses a different compound for their materials than most tire manufacturers do.
I know most tire companys especially cheaper tires use nylon. This can cause flat spotting on low profile tires as well as increased road noise and rough ride.

New set of michelins on this car and it should be golden.
Tire rack has them for 145 which is a great price plus they are green x low rolling resistance.

Old 07-03-15, 06:51 PM
Dave74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunhill421
Yeah it seems to be a big difference when you bring them down to the recommended pressure. I can deal with the mpg. I bought a lexus to ride like a lexus.

I do plan on purchasing Michelin primacy MXM tires. I had them on another car and they made a big difference in ride quality.
Michelin uses a different compound for their materials than most tire manufacturers do.
I know most tire companys especially cheaper tires use nylon. This can cause flat spotting on low profile tires as well as increased road noise and rough ride.

New set of michelins on this car and it should be golden.
Tire rack has them for 145 which is a great price plus they are green x low rolling resistance.

Hi, congratulations on your f-sport! I just picked mine up this Tuesday. Mine actually came with the Michelin MXM4 tires on it and other then finding them a bit noisy they seem to perform well. I think mine were set at 36 front and 35 rear from the dealership. I find the ride is quite smooth, but being in Canada I ended up going with the series 2 package which included the AVS suspension. I hope someday I have the opportunity to compare between the suspensions to see If there is much of a difference. I took a 700 KM round trip today to pick up my daughter and was very happy with the ride quality and handling, much preferred over the 2015 RX I traded towards it.
Old 07-04-15, 12:41 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Thanks for sharing...my door on the NX says 32psi for the tires when cold, and I had 36 in them....changed to 32psi today while cold, and what a difference on the rough roads...was so much better ! Thanks for sharing !!
Old 07-05-15, 05:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

It amazes me how dealers across N.A. consistently overinflate tires as though they're internally trained to do so. I see this with loaners too.
Old 07-05-15, 08:19 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It amazes me how dealers across N.A. consistently overinflate tires as though they're internally trained to do so. I see this with loaners too.
I agree corrado. I will go check our NX as well. I'm sure the lawyers would love to get a hold of that.
Old 07-06-15, 12:39 PM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed as of late that my NX with Geolandars feels like it's transmitting more road noise/feedback through to the wheel. I haven't touched the tires on mine but they are running at 36-39 PSI after driving for a little, so later tonight I'll drop them down to 32 to see if that helps.

I have 3400 miles on mine.
Old 07-08-15, 04:58 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So the official PSI on all tires should be 32? My original tires were inflated to 36-37 psi each.

My Fsport came with summer tires at 235/55/18 which I didn't want. So I just changed them to Bridgestone Ecopia's 225/60/18.

They are already paying dividends. Much more quiet and compliant ride. They are low resistance tires so I should see an improvement in mpg.

Now does anyone want to buy a slightly used set of summer tires? lol
Old 07-08-15, 06:42 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tresmith00
So the official PSI on all tires should be 32? My original tires were inflated to 36-37 psi each.

My Fsport came with summer tires at 235/55/18 which I didn't want. So I just changed them to Bridgestone Ecopia's 225/60/18.

They are already paying dividends. Much more quiet and compliant ride. They are low resistance tires so I should see an improvement in mpg.

Now does anyone want to buy a slightly used set of summer tires? lol
I know after changing mine from the 36-37 back to 32, it made a big difference on the rougher surfaces, and the door suggest 32. Not sure why dealerships are having 36-37. I had Bridgestone on the Highlander, and loved them.
Old 07-09-15, 06:36 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The variety of tires is interesting. My NX F Sport's spec sheet said it came with Summer Tires. What we got where Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires. I looked them up and they are classified as All-season tires. Kinda disappointed because I was expecting summer tires as here in south Texas we will never see any snow. Also the tires where preset to 36psi. I'm gonna lower them to 33psi this weekend.

Quick Reply: NX F Sport Too much road feedback in steering wheel