NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Shifter Fittings

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 03:51 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Shifter Fittings

Those of you with a 2014+ IS I think can agree that the shifter in the NX feels rougher when going from P down to D. Such as, you can feel the gates much more and it just doesn't feel as refined.

So I was thinking, what did Lexus leave out on the NX that they didn't on the IS? My first thought would be that they didn't push an additional Teflon bushing in, however, I'm not truly sure.

Has anyone ever thought about this?

I was trying to think about how you would get into it. I know with the Camaro, to get to my shifter (when I put the short throw in), I pulled the entire center console out, which was nothing more than a few screws and bolts.

however, with the NX, that center console is tied into everything. You'd be pulling everything up to the dash in order to get the housing around the shifter exposed.

Thus, I'm wondering if its possible to go from underneath? Has anyone ever looked up underneath? Or perhaps has a dealer friend that would be able to look up underneath while working on an NX? I'm wondering if you will be able to disconnect the shifter, put in new Teflon bushings, and make the shifter much more smooth.

Thoughts?
Old 06-29-15, 04:31 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

NO- it's a auto - not like you are shifting it manually. I put a short shifter in my Supra it has a nylon bushing it also has a carbon -carbon clutch.
put it in gear, drive it.......
Old 06-29-15, 04:37 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom59
NO- it's a auto - not like you are shifting it manually. I put a short shifter in my Supra it has a nylon bushing it also has a carbon -carbon clutch.
put it in gear, drive it.......
Its an auto? You don't say.... lol

That shouldn't matter at all. And as a person who has modded their car, I would think that you would understand more than most that there is always something to mess with and improve upon.

so my question still stands.

Last edited by Swacer; 06-29-15 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-06-15, 06:55 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Its an auto? You don't say.... lol

That shouldn't matter at all. And as a person who has modded their car, I would think that you would understand more than most that there is always something to mess with and improve upon.

so my question still stands.
Not to improve putting an auto in gear.............once it's in gear , it's in GEAR. My car I shift often.....row forward and back.......constantly , auto you put it in gear once.

Improve upon performance ......yeah. How does that improve anything. You can put it in gear faster.