NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Who Else Saw This Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 09:20 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Who Else Saw This Coming?

Who else saw this quality ranking getting worse with the release of the NX?

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/06/...quality-study/

Old 06-18-15, 09:42 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

The study has a skewed focus on measuring Infotainment tech and usability, which one can argue is not a measure of quality. Put Lexus' infotainment shortcomings aside which many of us agree on, I bet Lexus would prevail to the top on its own merits of fit and finish, materials and build quality, NVH, and so on.

Lexus still tops in Vehicle Dependability studies...
Old 06-18-15, 09:44 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't see that coming, that's for sure! Personally, our NX is rock solid and we have NO complaints, thus far. I'm hoping the NX is the start of "the comeback".
Old 06-18-15, 10:06 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm also very impressed by the Kia/Hyundai numbers (especially since we own a 2015 Genesis sedan, which has been perfect for six months now!)
Old 06-18-15, 10:06 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The study has a skewed focus on measuring Infotainment tech and usability, which one can argue is not a measure of quality. Put Lexus' infotainment shortcomings aside which many of us agree on, I bet Lexus would prevail to the top on its own merits of fit and finish, materials and build quality, NVH, and so on

Lexus still tops in Vehicle Dependability studies...
See, I disagree. When you buy a car, you expect quality from the entire package. Your infotainment plays a big part as it contains your radio, controls, and gps. This can't be ignored.

On the other hand, this doesn't discuss long term reliability. Korean cars are still crap in the long term and disposable in product build.
Old 06-18-15, 10:29 AM
mwl7698
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this thread suppose to be a detractor on the quality of the NX? The article states that :

"Lexus did have some success in the vehicle segment rankings, with the LS finishing first in Large Premium Cars, the ES finishing third in Compact Premium Cars, and the NX tying for second in Compact Premium SUVs."
Old 06-18-15, 10:48 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
I'm also very impressed by the Kia/Hyundai numbers (especially since we own a 2015 Genesis sedan, which has been perfect for six months now!)
My comment wasn't pointed toward you. Poor posting timing lol
Old 06-18-15, 10:52 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by Swacer
My comment wasn't pointed toward you. Poor posting timing lol
Thanks for that. Despite a checkered past, Consumer Reports says very favorable things about Hyundai lately, especially the Genesis Sedan and Equus, including positive thoughts about long-term reliability. I know you had a crappy Genesis Coupe - they still don't fair well according to CR.

I think Kia/Hyundai are kind of like Datsun and early Nissan were; they are now learning from past mistakes and getting better quickly.
Old 06-18-15, 10:58 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

"Who else saw this quality ranking getting worse with the release of the NX?"

You really think the NX finishing near the top caused the drop? I haven't had one issue with mine. I think it is more that J.D. Power study is now more subjective in their rankings. It appears a good part of the rating is now just opinion. Their rating of the interior quality for instance does not match the opinion of other reviews out there.
Old 06-18-15, 11:45 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of curiosity, who does J.D. Power poll or consult? I have owned several new cars over the last 20 years, and have yet to be contacted by anyone from their organization. Granted, there are millions of people to choose from, but I've not spoken directly to anyone who has ever been contacted by them either. Just wondering...
Old 06-18-15, 01:17 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by D4V1D
Out of curiosity, who does J.D. Power poll or consult? I have owned several new cars over the last 20 years, and have yet to be contacted by anyone from their organization. Granted, there are millions of people to choose from, but I've not spoken directly to anyone who has ever been contacted by them either. Just wondering...
I got a JDP survey for both our new cars. Each had a dollar bill in it to "thank me in advance" for going online and doing the surveys, which I did. Not sure how they choose people.
Old 06-18-15, 01:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Swacer
See, I disagree. When you buy a car, you expect quality from the entire package. Your infotainment plays a big part as it contains your radio, controls, and gps. This can't be ignored.

On the other hand, this doesn't discuss long term reliability. Korean cars are still crap in the long term and disposable in product build.
We'll agree to disagree. We're stating different definitions of quality. You (and CR) are factoring in usability/function/feature set which is not the same as the literal definition of "initial quality" which speaks to craftsmanship and reliability. This is what this survey used to measure a couple years back and prior.

As such, JD Powers should change their title to better reflect the survey to "Initial Customer Satisfaction". Then yes, Lexus deserves its spot in 9th place since there are better Infotainment units with better phone integration and features. Imagine in Canada, we don't even get Enform, so Lexus would rate even more poorly in this study, but is it an accurate reflection on "initial quality" especially if a buyer can evaluate function before deciding on purchase? The silver lining with Lexus' result is they will bounce back as they clearly know they have a gap in this area since they're (Toyota) partnering with Ford.
Old 06-18-15, 02:06 PM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have gotten several surveys on the NX alone, including the $1 JDPower one.

I only brought this thread up because I have had more than my share of problems with my NX, have read a ton of others on here, and remember the Consumer Reports Team had to turn their Test NX back in because the center stack/nav/controls locked up on them. I remember saying at the time "this cant be good for future ratings of the NX or Lexus in general."

Plus this is all about INITIAL QUALITY, first impressions, rattles and squeeks, fitment, gaps, road noise, engine power, engine noise, get-up-and-go, tech and luxury, people's opinion with respect to the last luxury vehicle or non luxury vehicle, as well as what it is in their mind that they think Lexus represents, what the quality should be, etc.
Old 06-18-15, 03:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by cb80923
I too have gotten several surveys on the NX alone, including the $1 JDPower one.

I only brought this thread up because I have had more than my share of problems with my NX, have read a ton of others on here, and remember the Consumer Reports Team had to turn their Test NX back in because the center stack/nav/controls locked up on them. I remember saying at the time "this cant be good for future ratings of the NX or Lexus in general."

Plus this is all about INITIAL QUALITY, first impressions, rattles and squeeks, fitment, gaps, road noise, engine power, engine noise, get-up-and-go, tech and luxury, people's opinion with respect to the last luxury vehicle or non luxury vehicle, as well as what it is in their mind that they think Lexus represents, what the quality should be, etc.
It's unfortunate you've had some issues, and although some members have reported similarly (minor) issues including myself, I wouldn't go out to say there are tonnes reported in this forum.

For perspective, a tie for second place with the 8-year old Infiniti QX 50 (EX35) and beneath the similarly aged MB GLK which have had all these years to refine their product speaks volumes on Lexus (NX's first year) quality.
Old 06-18-15, 07:38 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I will chime in since after one month of ownership, I had to take my NX in for a new rear Differential and Coupler. I was very surprised at this, and felt it should not have happened on a Lexus, and my first Lexus no less. I was so angry and upset, I wanted to get rid of it. I called corporate, and even started the process with the Lemon Law if necessary. However, after seeing how I was treated well, and the repair was done well, the fun is back. While the whole thing threw me a curve, I am trusting Lexus once again as customer satisfaction was beyond what many dealerships do, and I must say I was treated better than I have ever experienced elsewhere. Being a first year model, we are all at risk of having a few issues, and we take that gamble when we buy one. Granted, I don't think people should be having rattles and other things that I have read on here with the NX being a premium car, but when I read reviews about other new cars having transmissions after a few thousand miles, and other major things, I think Lexus still shines above most in quality, top notch materials etc. They do learn from first year models, and all of these issues I'm sure will be addressed if they are known about. Lexus was very interested in getting the faulty parts back from my NX to review why the issue happened in the first place. It is unpleasant to pay this price and then have these things happen, I was disappointed as well until I got the NX back, so I hope the rest of you with the issues will get the service that I experienced and you can love your NX again as well.

Quick Reply: Who Else Saw This Coming?