NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Appt with Lexus Made - 800 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 05:50 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Appt with Lexus Made - 800 Miles

I just made an apt with my Lexus dealer today for next week to address several issues I'm having with the car.

1. Passenger Seat creasing - As mentioned in my previous review, in the first week of ownership, my passenger seat was creased after my wife sat in it for like 1 hr. No idea how this happened, and this has never happened to my wife's IS after 9 months of use. I understand seats will crease with time, my Camaro has 1 crease...but its 3 years old. So I'm wondering if a new seat cover is going to be required.

2. Rattles - This car is COVERED with rattles in the interior. I feel like I'm driving a Hyundai To find the rattles, my wife has sat in all of the seats while I drove around. My back passenger door rattles all the time and its around the speaker we believe. My front passenger side rattles but it only will do it when there is no passenger. I'm not sure why but it sounds like its in the door or at an interface between the door and dash. I have opened the glove box, connected the seat belt, and pushed down on the seat, and nothing stops the rattles. And now, a newly developed one is in my driver side B-pillar area. Needless to say, I'm furious and haven't gotten to experience the interior of a luxury car yet. It actually ruins the drive for me from time to time.

3. Steering Wheel Creasing - My steering wheel is beginning to crease everywhere. It looks like a steering wheel that has sat out in the sun for years. I have a sunshade up at all times when the car is parked, thus there is never any direct light on it, so I'm not sure what is causing this.

4. Front end issues - Ever since I got the car, when I shifted from R to D, and drove forward, I would feel a THUMP in the left front for a second and then it would be fine. I considered this part of a noisy drivetrain and went on. However, I just noticed last Friday I felt a vibration/grind in my steering wheel and pedal that felt like it was coming from the left front side. Its hard to reproduce but noticeable when it happens. I have also lost 2mpg of late (from 30 to 28) on the same drive I do daily. While it may be unrelated, its curious that the 2 are happening at the same time. I question if there is something bad in the drive train.

My wife's IS is 9 months old now, and none of these issues exist on her car. Its really disappointing how different the NX has been so far after 1 month (not even...) and 750 miles.

So they put me off until next week, but I'm hoping they can fix this. I honestly don't care if they have to tear the entire car down, just make everything work.
Old 06-01-15, 06:39 AM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer... I hope they can replicate the issues so they will be able to find solutions. I know you've got to be disappointed.
Old 06-01-15, 06:55 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the #4 problem too - go from reverse to drive, and a pretty good thunk out of what sound and feels to be the front left wheel well area... happens every single time I change from reverse to drive, and also sometimes when cranking up, putting it in drive and pulling forward.

I have my 5000mile checkup in a couple weeks. That thunk and the rear-center-armrest squeaking are my main issues now. Maybe I will ask them about the loud plastic "thud" of the gas tank door lock when locking the doors too.

I have also had zero problems with my '14 IS350. Really like that car!

Last edited by cb80923; 06-01-15 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 08:24 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cb80923
I have the #4 problem too - go from reverse to drive, and a pretty good thunk out of what sound and feels to be the front left wheel well area... happens every single time I change from reverse to drive, and also sometimes when cranking up, putting it in drive and pulling forward.

I have my 5000mile checkup in a couple weeks. That thunk and the rear-center-armrest squeaking are my main issues now. Maybe I will ask them about the loud plastic "thud" of the gas tank door lock when locking the doors too.

I have also had zero problems with my '14 IS350. Really like that car!
My dealer just got back to me (via email) and stated that if all of my issues are "real", they will want to involve the factory as they have not had these issues raised for any of their other NXs that have been sold.

Of course I get the car that was built on a Friday afternoon lol

And you have the thump also? hmmm I don't know if that's a good thing for me, or a bad thing for both us.

Last edited by Swacer; 06-01-15 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 09:35 AM
ClaudeNX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound you are hearing gaz filler might be the locking of gas filler door
Old 06-01-15, 10:31 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I just made an apt with my Lexus dealer today for next week to address several issues I'm having with the car.

1. Passenger Seat creasing - As mentioned in my previous review, in the first week of ownership, my passenger seat was creased after my wife sat in it for like 1 hr. No idea how this happened, and this has never happened to my wife's IS after 9 months of use. I understand seats will crease with time, my Camaro has 1 crease...but its 3 years old. So I'm wondering if a new seat cover is going to be required.

2. Rattles - This car is COVERED with rattles in the interior. I feel like I'm driving a Hyundai To find the rattles, my wife has sat in all of the seats while I drove around. My back passenger door rattles all the time and its around the speaker we believe. My front passenger side rattles but it only will do it when there is no passenger. I'm not sure why but it sounds like its in the door or at an interface between the door and dash. I have opened the glove box, connected the seat belt, and pushed down on the seat, and nothing stops the rattles. And now, a newly developed one is in my driver side B-pillar area. Needless to say, I'm furious and haven't gotten to experience the interior of a luxury car yet. It actually ruins the drive for me from time to time.

3. Steering Wheel Creasing - My steering wheel is beginning to crease everywhere. It looks like a steering wheel that has sat out in the sun for years. I have a sunshade up at all times when the car is parked, thus there is never any direct light on it, so I'm not sure what is causing this.

4. Front end issues - Ever since I got the car, when I shifted from R to D, and drove forward, I would feel a THUMP in the left front for a second and then it would be fine. I considered this part of a noisy drivetrain and went on. However, I just noticed last Friday I felt a vibration/grind in my steering wheel and pedal that felt like it was coming from the left front side. Its hard to reproduce but noticeable when it happens. I have also lost 2mpg of late (from 30 to 28) on the same drive I do daily. While it may be unrelated, its curious that the 2 are happening at the same time. I question if there is something bad in the drive train.

My wife's IS is 9 months old now, and none of these issues exist on her car. Its really disappointing how different the NX has been so far after 1 month (not even...) and 750 miles.

So they put me off until next week, but I'm hoping they can fix this. I honestly don't care if they have to tear the entire car down, just make everything work.
Remember the rubbing sound I was having...I heard it after turning wheel also backing up and going forward, and it was the rear Differential. You might just mention that as a possibility ? Sorry you are having all this, and hope they get it straighten out.......I'm not feeling great right now either.
Old 06-01-15, 10:35 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swacer, I have seen more than a few folks talk about the THUMP in the front wheel well in the NOISE ISSUES WITH NX and possible INTERESTING DISCOVERIES GOOD/BAD threads.
Old 06-01-15, 10:47 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cb80923
Swacer, I have seen more than a few folks talk about the THUMP in the front wheel well in the NOISE ISSUES WITH NX and possible INTERESTING DISCOVERIES GOOD/BAD threads.
Which post are you referring to? The thud ones I've seen in there are related to the fuel door (?) and it appears they were only audible. This one, as you have yourself, is physically felt in the steering wheel and pedal when the thud/thump occurs. it would certainly help to have a few more examples of this happening and what the dealers did to fix it before I go into my dealer and they think I'm crazy.

Last edited by Swacer; 06-01-15 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 07:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Can you post a pic on the steering wheel creasing?

Did you rule out the rear license plate/frame as the source of the rattle at the rear.

Did you rule out different passenger seat seat positions for the rattle? My past RX passenger seat rattled when raised high while better when lowered.
Old 06-01-15, 08:09 PM
phatm3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody here who have a hybrid NX and also have this thumping issues? I was wondering if this is a six speed issue or not.
Old 06-02-15, 03:44 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

Did you rule out the rear license plate/frame as the source of the rattle at the rear.

Did you rule out different passenger seat seat positions for the rattle? My past RX passenger seat rattled when raised high while better when lowered.
For the Pic - Yeah, I can try to take one later.

For the Rattles - I was actually driving down a ground down road yesterday very slowly and I was able to amplify the rattle enough to get it on video. The loudest one is the plastic panel on the passenger side door below the arm rest. I sent it off to my salesman and he agreed he could hear it in the video. It was louder than a radio at 10 and the road noise of driving on a ground down road.

As for the passenger back door, my wife was back there and had her head against the door when she found the rattles.

As for my B pillar on my side, its inconsistent when it occurs.

Overall, the sound proofing of my car was done very poorly.

The service manager is going to take a ride with me on Friday, so he will get to hear the sounds first hand. Along with the video I sent.

Last edited by Swacer; 06-02-15 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-02-15, 04:00 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phatm3

Anybody here who have a hybrid NX and also have this thumping issues? I was wondering if this is a six speed issue or not.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the transmission. It would be the concern of the diff, half shafts, wheel bearings, and axles.
Old 06-02-15, 08:17 AM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've also discovered my steering wheel has the creases. Not sure whether to complain about it to Lexus but will monitor the OP's resolution with the dealer. I have some rattles but not enough to bother me-YET.

The thump in the front end I'm thinking might be the ABS. Many cars do that. But will also be monitoring OP's resolution with dealer.

Haven't noticed any creasing yet, but the car is mostly driven by the wife alone. Will monitor that.
Old 06-02-15, 08:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

It wouldn't have anything to do with the transmission. It would be the concern of the diff, half shafts, wheel bearings, and axles.
It might not hurt to check a RAV4 owners forum to see if it's something that those AWD owners are experiencing (if the drivetrain is similar).
Old 06-02-15, 01:53 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

Here is the steering wheel. The last 2 days have allowed it to get slightly Better because it has been cold at night. When it was 80F out, I could move the material.

Quick Reply: Appt with Lexus Made - 800 Miles