NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Should I Buy a Used NX 200t?

Old 05-07-15, 12:26 PM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Buy a Used NX 200t?

In the Fall, I was ready to purchase a ES 300H, when I heard about the NX and decided to wait. We haven't test-driven it, but have sat in one of the first ones at a local dealer (it had already been purchased) and loved the interior. We are finally going to test drive the NX hybrid when I noticed online that our dealer had a used 200t with all the features and in the color I've been looking for.

So now I'm considering all the advantages of a used NX 200t, e.g., lower purchasing cost; lower insurance; lower downpayment; no waiting and having to pay close to or @ MSRP for the hybrid. I should note that I've had my BMW 3-series for over 10 years, and it's just time. I will miss the fun driving of a German manual transmission car.

Hubby says there must be something wrong with this used NX for the owner to return it after a month's lease and putting 800+ miles on it. He thinks we should contact the former owner to ask them (sales person did not know why, and would he even want to find out for me). They are selling it Certified, so if there is anything wrong, I guess we would still have to deal with having to take it back until issues are fixed (e.g., NAV screen issues). They are selling it at $43.9K which CarFax says is "$60 above the retail book value.

I can't believe I'm changing my focus to a 200t after all these months of reading up on the hybrid. Of course, I'll know more after the test drive. Just wondering what others' opinions. Should I go back to my original focus?
Old 05-07-15, 12:38 PM
wildeklave
Pole Position

it can be as simple as the prior owner not liking it and switched to an RX or ES. Either way, I would not go for a barely used NX unless you get a significant price discount vs. a new one. If a new one is 46k and you are offered this one for 43.9k then you have to decide. For me personally I wouldn't go with a barely used vehicle unless it was a 10% or more discount vs. a new one.
Old 05-07-15, 01:53 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For a car that is 1 month leased and 800 miles, it could be several things:

1. The person leased something they realized they hated.

2. The person leased a car that didn't meet their needs and didn't realize it until they had it.

3. The person lost their job unexpectedly and couldn't afford the lease.

There are tons of things that could have happened, and very few of them would point that the car is "abused". Any dealership with respect for their customers will NOT put you in contact with the former owner. You dont' really have the right to speak with them directly.

The car is a Toyota, and its a certified used, which means they have inspected the car for potential issues. For the right price, I see nothing wrong with this purchase personally.

With that sad, I would not pay more than $38k for a fully loaded NX used.
Old 05-07-15, 04:10 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First question I would ask is "if I bought a brand new car at MSRP" and brought it back in a couple months with 800 miles on, how much would you give me back?" Start with that and tell them to split the difference. BTW, don't expect more than 5-8% off MSRP as there is too much demand and low supply. If it was an IS, I could see getting 15% as most already give 10% for new unregistered title.
Old 05-07-15, 05:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Some good points above which I agree especially on the price determination My0gr81 points out.

But test drive that specific 200t first. See if you like it and try a 300h if you haven't already so there are no regrets.

Good luck!
Old 05-08-15, 12:16 AM
rumpletzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that a car with 800 miles on it, and what I assume is a full warranty is nothing to shy away from if (1) it's a car (with the options) that you're interested in, and (2) it's at the right price.

For me, it would certainly need to be below invoice. I got mine new at better than 5% below MSRP (1.3% over invoice) with hardly any effort at all. So, I say it needs to be at least 8% under MSRP.
Old 05-09-15, 11:01 AM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Default Follow-Up: Love it!

OK, it's probably not a surprise to many of you that I would love the car. Even my husband is now convinced. We're now looking at the NX 200t, rather than the hybrid version. We want to be green, but with the premium and the low supply, it just doesn't make sense for us.

The dealer has lowered the price to $42.9K, but we said that the figure is too close to a new car, and we wouldn't consider this car unless it went down about $3-4K. The salesperson said that he'll call us by 11AM after he spoke to his manager, but it's been a few hours after, so I'm thinking the dealer probably wants to see whether there is anyone this weekend who would give them that price.

At the same time, another dealer told us he can give me any one he has on the lot at $500 under invoice. I said that Edmunds.com is putting invoice at $42.9K (with Luxury pkg, NAV, pre-collision, blind-side monitor, park assist); was this the invoice price he's referring to. He replies that if I come in, he'll show me the invoice and I can take $500 under that. They do have the cars in the color and options. In fact, they have over 30 on the lot, so they probably want to move some out.

I was willing to wait until the end of the month or August or even December for the prices to go down, but it would be sweet to have one sooner. Should I wait since there seems to be good deals for a new 200t now?
Old 05-09-15, 12:54 PM
rumpletzer
Driver School Candidate

The days when I could go to Edmunds or Kelly Blue Book and get truly useful information as a consumer have seemed to pass. When I bought my last car (in 2004), there were Edmunds forums where many, many folks would share "prices paid" information and you'd get a good sense of whether your local dealer was trying to take you for a ride on pricing.

Either forums like this one or the other forums' need to make advertising money seems to have killed off a lot of that useful stuff. True Car is okay, but if you scroll down to the bottom of the pricing page you'll notice a "Regional Fee" added to invoice and all other prices (except MSRP). It's $690 for the NX in my area, and I believe that that's the advertising fee that they serve up to True Car.

I use the NADA Guides to get the straight-up invoice price. They'll allow you to build up a car on their site with the options that you want, so you can go into a deal with all of the information. For the NX models, this is the Web site: http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2015/Lexus/NX-200t

I'm an Excel fiend, so I took the info from that site and tailored the car that I wanted. I looked at the cars available in my area, and I figured out the common options packages and I knew the invoice price on my target vehicles.

When the dealer offered a non-F Sport with Premium package and navigation at an MSRP of $42,340, I knew the other options that were likely on the car, and I knew that the invoice was $39,554. I sent her the picture below, and she sent me back an excellent deal offer.

Go into the negotiation with all the information and a plan. Bring a calculator, and take as much time as you need. Be prepared to walk if you can't get the deal that you want.

Old 05-09-15, 12:59 PM
rumpletzer
Driver School Candidate

This is the Excel file that I made with all of the options and prices for the NX200t.

Excel NX200t Price File

I was only interested in the base (non-F Sport) FWD car, so I have that price in the file. It's easy enough to find if you want to swap in the F Sport of AWD options.

The tabs at the bottom of the file will show you the cars that I was looking at, and you can build your own in the same manner.
Old 05-09-15, 09:28 PM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rumpletzer
This is the Excel file that I made with all of the options and prices for the NX200t.

Excel NX200t Price File

I was only interested in the base (non-F Sport) FWD car, so I have that price in the file. It's easy enough to find if you want to swap in the F Sport of AWD options.

The tabs at the bottom of the file will show you the cars that I was looking at, and you can build your own in the same manner.

Many thanks!
Old 05-10-15, 03:30 PM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Default Buying CPO on a 2015?

Does it make sense to buy a 2015 (previous owner returned it after a month) Certified Pre-Owned with the 3 Yr/100K warranty. Sure Lexus CPO is great, but on a current model year which should have the 4-yr/50K factory warranty transferable, aren't I just better off with that? Isn't the CPO cutting short the 4-yr warranty? With my driving, I won't read 50K or 100K before either warranty year-limits.

The CPO warranty says it is effective from purchase date. It would be better if it were effective at the end of factory warranty.

Last edited by brendaman; 05-10-15 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 11:08 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

You hit it on the head...there is no reason to really get that kind of car with CPO unless you plan on driving it a ton. It is an easy way for the dealer to tack on extra cost. In fact the dealer can remove the CPO designation and should be able to sell it with a further reduced price.
Old 05-11-15, 11:18 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sarcoptic
You hit it on the head...there is no reason to really get that kind of car with CPO unless you plan on driving it a ton. It is an easy way for the dealer to tack on extra cost. In fact the dealer can remove the CPO designation and should be able to sell it with a further reduced price.
Doesn't the CPO designation mean that the dealer has put the vehicle through some kind of rigorous testing and (if required) refurbishment regimen? If so, those dollars have already been spent by the dealer.

My point is that they might be unwilling to drop the CPO certification and, with it, the sales price.
Old 05-11-15, 12:03 PM
Levin
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, but the price would have to be a decent chunk off a new one.
Old 05-11-15, 02:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So I'll put it out there: the cars a demo cpo means jack to any dealership. The cost for CPO is the cost of printing out a checklist and taping it to the door jam to make it possible buyers to feel all special inside.

Lease on this car can probbaly be easily swapped or sold, due tot the fact this car is so called in high demand.
Anyways if they're selling the car for invoice, and ur getting a better deal on a new car...no brainer there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I Buy a Used NX 200t?