NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Is the NX a Girl's Car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 11:56 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adpock

I'm inclined to think that anything that looks like the NX and performs like the NX is actually a car for people who love good cars, particularly good cars of a certain size. All people. Am I missing something?

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Sure that is not Bruce Jenner in his secret dress?
Old 05-07-15, 12:10 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rayzer57
Sure that is not Bruce Jenner in his secret dress?
I don't think Jenner's "dresses" are secret any more. But we're off topic and I'm already on one s___ list around here.
Old 05-08-15, 05:08 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
In one word.... "YES!!"

There is no secret that there is a certain type of market for cars and SUV's for masculine and feminine traits. Masculine cars are always larger, bigger engines, and faster. Feminine traits in cars always tend to me more practical, safer, economical (even though it just means being smart).

And if you look at the demographic of NX owners, at least from what i've seen in my area which there are quite a few, there are more female NX owners than Male. All often to be housewives
Can I see the poll you took , thanks........

How do you know houswives are buying 40k vehicles do you stop everyone and ask them. I've only seen one NX around here and it was a DUDE driving it. They've only sold 10-12k of them......

I'd almost bet my bippy most are male. But, I'd be speculating.

They are simply marketed to what's hot - and to income - that simple not male or female that's why they have colors and options.
Small SUV's are by far the hottest segment Lexus knew that.
Old 05-08-15, 09:41 AM
PetroVal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adpock

Can someone clear something up for me here.. that Italian NX in the picture has the F-sport extended length but the standard grill insert?

Old 05-08-15, 04:47 PM
scwhitaker
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if I should be agitated by the housewife crack. My partner is the breadwinner and while I carry a professional title on my business card I get a bit annoyed when cars are deemed boy cars and girl cars. That said I got all kinds of grief when I considered a Subaru Outback as it was considered "Lesbian" car...and here I am now with a five day old NX, so I guess I'm not above it all either.
Old 05-08-15, 05:01 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

it's ok, in my household, it;s a Chinese car...
Old 05-08-15, 05:08 PM
DOC4LEX
Pole Position

My take would be maybe the stardard NX is bit feminine , but the Nx200t F-sport is most def a Masclince looking ride.
Old 05-08-15, 06:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by PetroVal
Can someone clear something up for me here.. that Italian NX in the picture has the F-sport extended length but the standard grill insert?

International bumper outside N.A. See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...t-bumpers.html
Old 05-08-15, 10:10 PM
PetroVal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
International bumper outside N.A. See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...t-bumpers.html
Brilliant, thanks. Interesting to read about CAFE #'s shaping (ba-dum-tss) the faces offered.

Any word if Lexus will offer a Sport Appearance Package for NX's next year?
Old 05-09-15, 05:08 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Interesting read about the bumpers, and thanks for changing such a ridiculous thread with some more important finds, instead of worrying about who the car should be for. This women/ guy thing on here is stupid, and I'm really tired of seeing it. To each their own...I think I can speak for others as well that we chose the NX because it is a Lexus, a beautifully designed small SUV that fits many of our families and needs, and it is a fun vehicle to drive.

Last edited by RDLGX; 05-09-15 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-09-15, 10:59 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drifter123
I’m a single male so I hope it does attract females.
Ha! I second that.

the thing about a "girl's car" is that if it truly is a girl's car it will attract the ladies and that's what a guy wants. no?
Old 05-09-15, 12:38 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scwhitaker
I'm not sure if I should be agitated by the housewife crack. My partner is the breadwinner and while I carry a professional title on my business card I get a bit annoyed when cars are deemed boy cars and girl cars. That said I got all kinds of grief when I considered a Subaru Outback as it was considered "Lesbian" car...and here I am now with a five day old NX, so I guess I'm not above it all either.
These designations are usually given to cars by men who are very unsure about their masculanity. My favourite ride is a 4x4 truck besides my RX, but it never crossed my mind driving the truck will add to some pseudo-macho image, I drive it because I'm a petrolhead (or rather a dieselhead in the case of the truck) and enjoy it and have never thought some other motorist will say: "look at that tough guy in the trucjk" These type of threads should be closed, it is really tasteless.
Old 05-09-15, 01:15 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nipponbird
These designations are usually given to cars by men who are very unsure about their masculanity. My favourite ride is a 4x4 truck besides my RX, but it never crossed my mind driving the truck will add to some pseudo-macho image, I drive it because I'm a petrolhead (or rather a dieselhead in the case of the truck) and enjoy it and have never thought some other motorist will say: "look at that tough guy in the trucjk" These type of threads should be closed, it is really tasteless.
I agree and second the motion to close this...very distasteful !!
Old 05-09-15, 01:17 PM
PetroVal
Driver School Candidate

Nippon & Ronn, I disagree, this has been a very civil and respectful discussion on an interesting, if sensitive, subject regarding marketing and gender stereotypes/perception. Only good can come through respectful dialogue.

My $0.02 on the subject:

There's a personal big-picture view, and there's a community big-picture view.

Personally, I could care less if I am judged/discriminated/prejudiced/etc. because of my personal choice in vehicle and not giving a mouses's butt about what others think of my belongings - it's my possession purchased with my money representing my tastes! I think we can all agree on that - personal freedom of choice to select within a defined capitalist market. As the proverbial saying goes: A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.

Now to play devil's advocate: we are humans with funky, complex, evolutionary linked bad habits. Those judgement or more accurately; our impression, can carry consequences. In the context of work - I would be deemed unfit if I show up to meet a business client in a neon-lighted, rainbow painted school bus. Extreme, sure, but for the sake of discussion it gets the point across. Masculinity and femininity I believe also become consequent of marketing constructed attribution whereby the owner is guilty by purchase judgement. Will you get passed up for a promotion because you drive an NX? I highly doubt it, but again, for discussion sake - we are exploring the notion of (confirmation bias?) sweeping generalization in possession judgement.

A side note but the Porsche 911 is an interesting car here, because it's very, very apparent a female car in and of itself and I think it goes further than just the constant labeling by journalists. Its shape that draws upon the female anatomical silhouette. Yet it is not owner-gender-stereotyped. A strangely, the Cayman is seen as the 'little brother' of the 911, but ironically isn't as 'manly' as the 911 is... Although I believe there it becomes an ego struggle of financial ranking.

The Lamborghini Miura for instance did both feminine and masculine traits in one - arguably one of only a few vehicles ever made to be able to pull that off.

But we're not discussing vehicle personification - we're discussing owner-gender stereotype. The new Beetle as someone mentioned is a good example. Marketing efforts made to push a demographic as the 'ideal' consumer/owner of a particular model worked really for them in sales volumes. The Beetle, although curvaceous, is not quite as inherently feminine in shape as the 911, but considered far more a 'girl's car'. Interestingly enough, the Jetta or Scion tC are also considered 'chick' cars, as well. So in those three examples we have a "femme" car for anyone, a "girls" car for women due to marketing efforts, and a "girls" car due to general consumer bias.

It'd be interesting ready some papers on the reinvention of the Beetle and its intended demographic (wasn't it unveiled on Oprah?!) because the original beetle, although well beyond my years, didn't have that stigma as far as I know.

I can't recall if Lexus has ever pushed a lifestyle choice or specific demographic over one another in their marketing efforts. Personally, I don't see the NX's as inherently sexual one way or another - however that center mirror accessory is a unique addition.

I'm neither a mad men nor shrink - just an arm-chair enthusiast
Old 05-09-15, 01:48 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PetroVal
Nippon & Ronn, I disagree, this has been a very civil and respectful discussion on an interesting, if sensitive, subject regarding marketing and gender stereotypes/perception. Only good can come through respectful dialogue.

My $0.02 on the subject:

There's a personal big-picture view, and there's a community big-picture view.

Personally, I could care less if I am judged/discriminated/prejudiced/etc. because of my personal choice in vehicle and not giving a mouses's butt about what others think of my belongings - it's my possession purchased with my money representing my tastes! I think we can all agree on that - personal freedom of choice to select within a defined capitalist market. As the proverbial saying goes: A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.

Now to play devil's advocate: we are humans with funky, complex, evolutionary linked bad habits. Those judgement or more accurately; our impression, can carry consequences. In the context of work - I would be deemed unfit if I show up to meet a business client in a neon-lighted, rainbow painted school bus. Extreme, sure, but for the sake of discussion it gets the point across. Masculinity and femininity I believe also become consequent of marketing constructed attribution whereby the owner is guilty by purchase judgement. Will you get passed up for a promotion because you drive an NX? I highly doubt it, but again, for discussion sake - we are exploring the notion of (confirmation bias?) sweeping generalization in possession judgement.

A side note but the Porsche 911 is an interesting car here, because it's very, very apparent a female car in and of itself and I think it goes further than just the constant labeling by journalists. Its shape that draws upon the female anatomical silhouette. Yet it is not owner-gender-stereotyped. A strangely, the Cayman is seen as the 'little brother' of the 911, but ironically isn't as 'manly' as the 911 is... Although I believe there it becomes an ego struggle of financial ranking.

The Lamborghini Miura for instance did both feminine and masculine traits in one - arguably one of only a few vehicles ever made to be able to pull that off.

But we're not discussing vehicle personification - we're discussing owner-gender stereotype. The new Beetle as someone mentioned is a good example. Marketing efforts made to push a demographic as the 'ideal' consumer/owner of a particular model worked really for them in sales volumes. The Beetle, although curvaceous, is not quite as inherently feminine in shape as the 911, but considered far more a 'girl's car'. Interestingly enough, the Jetta or Scion tC are also considered 'chick' cars, as well. So in those three examples we have a "femme" car for anyone, a "girls" car for women due to marketing efforts, and a "girls" car due to general consumer bias.

It'd be interesting ready some papers on the reinvention of the Beetle and its intended demographic (wasn't it unveiled on Oprah?!) because the original beetle, although well beyond my years, didn't have that stigma as far as I know.

I can't recall if Lexus has ever pushed a lifestyle choice or specific demographic over one another in their marketing efforts. Personally, I don't see the NX's as inherently sexual one way or another - however that center mirror accessory is a unique addition.

I'm neither a mad men nor shrink - just an arm-chair enthusiast
Well, you can have your impressions, and you can care about your community impressions...I could care less. I buy a vehicle because I like it, with my money, and I don't care what other people think. The point is that it shouldn't matter what you drive to go to any place of business etc., or to go anywhere else. I do not think that Lexus built the NX for this type of discussion, nor did they build the RX for just a women or guy. They built these cars in hopes that people will like their product. They added a mirror in the console...so what, i don't use it, but it is there for a women or who ever wants to use it. My girl friend used it today, so it serves a purpose. People need to get a life if they are concerned about what others drive. I have friends, and yes males, that have driven a VW beetle.....I never for once gave it a second thought as to them driving a " femme " car. I have a great male friend who drives a Jetta....so is something wrong with that ? My point...this is ridiculous behavior to be concerned about what another person drives. I love the NX, and I would think that people with the money and education to afford this vehicle, or any Lexus or other Luxury car, would not waste their time with this type of thread. I sure have wasted mine, but not now. Club Lexus has been very informative and helpful before the purchase of mine, and I sure want to hope I can continue to be a part of it, but not this ridiculous thread nor the poll. End of discussion. I have more important things to do than waste my time with this. You do have the right to you opinion , and I have stated mine.

Quick Reply: Is the NX a Girl's Car?