NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Upgrade cargo lights with LED's

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 12:16 AM
HIDPH
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NXOwner
What? $34 for LED cargo lights? That's insane. The lights I used (CLICK HERE) only cost less than $2 per LED bulb.
The link provided appears to be wedge bulbs (921) and we understand that the wedge bulbs are not the proper bulbs for the NX trunk lights. The NX trunk light bulbs fall under the festoon bulb category, specifically, DE3022 to be precise.

Our trunk LED lights for the 2015+ NX provides more light output. Our LEDs are mounted on a printed circuit board, thereby producing a concentrated light beam that is particularly functional for the trunk/cargo area. Our trunk LED lights are also come with a 5 year replacement warranty as we stand behind the quality and engineering of our LED products.

CLICK HERE to learn more about LED lighting as we highlight the key elements when comparing automotive LED products on the market. Not all LEDs are made equally.
Old 11-04-15, 07:24 AM
phatm3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HIDPH
The link provided appears to be wedge bulbs (921) and we understand that the wedge bulbs are not the proper bulbs for the NX trunk lights. The NX trunk light bulbs fall under the festoon bulb category, specifically, DE3022 to be precise.

Our trunk LED lights for the 2015+ NX provides more light output. Our LEDs are mounted on a printed circuit board, thereby producing a concentrated light beam that is particularly functional for the trunk/cargo area. Our trunk LED lights are also come with a 5 year replacement warranty as we stand behind the quality and engineering of our LED products.

CLICK HERE to learn more about LED lighting as we highlight the key elements when comparing automotive LED products on the market. Not all LEDs are made equally.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...go-area-3.html

For some reason, my 2016 NX300h has a different cargo light bulb, it is a wedge. I like the LED on pcb design for reasons given though

Last edited by phatm3; 11-04-15 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 07:27 AM
phatm3
Driver

Originally Posted by typocl
that one is kinda long, and it also shoots light out the end

search ebay for T10 wedge LED bulbs and snag something.. I saw your other post where you had a picture of what you have for stock cargo lights. Not sure why Lexus changed it, or maybe you're just lucky.

these should work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-T10-9-SM...1VuAFv&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-T10-2825...BWOXyw&vxp=mtr

WEDGE! That is the search word I was searching for....thank you very much...I kinda like the lights on pcb, with the adaptor, just want to make sure it doesn't throw an error code like the other bulbs I've read about..

I will check the rest of the bulbs in my 2016 NX300H and figure out what kind of bulbs they take before ordering again. I should have done that first LOL.

Last edited by phatm3; 11-04-15 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 01:10 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by phatm3
WEDGE! That is the search word I was searching for....thank you very much...I kinda like the lights on pcb, with the adaptor, just want to make sure it doesn't throw an error code like the other bulbs I've read about..

I will check the rest of the bulbs in my 2016 NX300H and figure out what kind of bulbs they take before ordering again. I should have done that first LOL.
I think you only have to worry about errors if the car has the capability to alert you if a bulb is out - I think it checks voltages or something. I doubt the 2016 added that option for the cargo lights.
Old 11-04-15, 04:17 PM
HIDPH
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2016 Lexus models, from our understanding, does not have a lamp monitoring CANBUS system from factory. For European automobiles, most if not all of them have a CANBUS system that provides real time monitoring for the vehicle's lighting.

Hence, the 2016 Lexus models would not throw a "lamp out" warning dash light if a bulb is burnt out or malfunctioning.

One may experience a blown fuse triggered by a short circuit and the culprit would be inadequate resistors, bad solder joints or poor circuit design found in low-grade/subpar quality LED bulbs. This would not trigger any warning lights as the light bulb would simply stop working (blown fuse).

We are also aware of low-grade/subpar quality LED bulbs causing damage to BUI control model, again, the cause is a short circuit. The BUI control unit can be expensive to replace, with the part being several hundred dollars excluding labor. Just a heads-up!
Old 11-04-15, 05:04 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HIDPH
Just a heads-up!
Ahh...nothing like throwin' a little F.U.D. around to help increase sales.
The following users liked this post:
Jerry19NX (01-10-20)
Old 01-19-16, 02:41 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

I also did some LED upgrades for my NX!

1. Cargo

2. Vanity mirror

3. Reverse light

So for my 2016 model I can confirm if anyone is interested the bulb sizes:

Cargo: T10 / W5W
Vanity mirror: T10 / W5W
Reversing light: W16W (I think it's also called T15). Note W16W have the same base connector as the T10, only difference is bulb is just longer and larger on the other end. So T10 bulbs/LED fit in correctly too.
Also my NX only has one reversing light. The other side has factory LED rear fog lights.

So, now that all are LED except for the rear turn signals, is anyone here going to help me? What size is the rear turn signal? I think it's a T20?

Last edited by TeaAholic1; 01-19-16 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 07:12 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
I also did some LED upgrades for my NX!

1. Cargo

2. Vanity mirror

3. Reverse light

So for my 2016 model I can confirm if anyone is interested the bulb sizes:

Cargo: T10 / W5W
Vanity mirror: T10 / W5W
Reversing light: W16W (I think it's also called T15). Note W16W have the same base connector as the T10, only difference is bulb is just longer and larger on the other end. So T10 bulbs/LED fit in correctly too.
Also my NX only has one reversing light. The other side has factory LED rear fog lights.

So, now that all are LED except for the rear turn signals, is anyone here going to help me? What size is the rear turn signal? I think it's a T20?
Great upgrade -- I wonder what LED did you use for the trunk? It looks pretty bright.

For the rear turn signal - it is T20

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...686/parts.aspx

And for the reverse light/back light - it is T16 (as usual on Lexus cars)

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...663/parts.aspx

And some more info for the reverse light and controller to avoid hyper flashing.

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...609/parts.aspx

That owner says the light is brighter after upgrade but was frustrated with the placement of the controller/cancellor

Last edited by AndyL; 01-19-16 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-22-16, 11:14 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AndyL
Great upgrade -- I wonder what LED did you use for the trunk? It looks pretty bright.
The LED I used for the trunk look like this:

This one is great because all the LEDs are facing in the right direction. They are made locally in Australia but I hope you can find something in this shape.

Here is the eBay link:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-6-LED-...4AAOxyHE5RscvG

And for the reverse light/back light - it is T16 (as usual on Lexus cars)
Is W16W a T15 or T16? Either way, it is just a larger bulb of the T10 - it has the exact same base/connector as a T10 bulb so T10 bulbs work completely fine too.

For the rear turn signal - it is T20

And some more info for the reverse light and controller to avoid hyper flashing.

That owner says the light is brighter after upgrade but was frustrated with the placement of the controller/cancellor
Ah I see. I am not sure about the placement of the resistor, especially it getting hot in a small space. I might have to wait and see for a bulb that doesn't require a resistor.
Old 01-24-16, 07:50 PM
liquidmate
Driver School Candidate

I got some my LED lighting from Canadian Tire...Phillips LEDS are great. Also, got some from prolightz.com...for those of us living up here in Canada. Bought LEDS for my Subaru STI, works in my NX too.
Old 01-28-16, 08:37 PM
rahuljp
Driver School Candidate

Hey folks.. Hoping someone can provide a recommendation. Would either of the bulbs work or is one better than the other or are they not different other than the shape?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/311366351548?_mwBanner=1
http://m.ebay.com/itm/252256216427?_mwBanner=1
Old 01-28-16, 09:52 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

the 9 LED bulb would only have two LED's pointing directly to the cargo area. The 4 LED one would have all four pointing there. It's a toss up which one might end up being brighter. But these are so cheap - just get both and let us know.

If you wrap the inside enclosure with reflective tape, that would probably make the 9 LED one output more light to the cargo area.
Old 01-28-16, 10:05 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by typocl
the 9 LED bulb would only have two LED's pointing directly to the cargo area. The 4 LED one would have all four pointing there. It's a toss up which one might end up being brighter. But these are so cheap - just get both and let us know.

If you wrap the inside enclosure with reflective tape, that would probably make the 9 LED one output more light to the cargo area.
Nah, I reckon he should get the 4 LED one. Why not get that shape in 6 LED like me? You can see I used that in my previous post, they are bright and great at night.
Old 01-29-16, 04:19 AM
rahuljp
Driver School Candidate

Teaholic, I was trying to find the 6 led flat, but I wasn't finding one shipping from the US an didn't want to wait for a month to come from China or Australia.

Typocl, I had the same thought as you. Flat is probably better unless I get some reflective tape on the inside.
Old 01-29-16, 04:27 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rahuljp
Teaholic, I was trying to find the 6 led flat, but I wasn't finding one shipping from the US an didn't want to wait for a month to come from China or Australia.

Typocl, I had the same thought as you. Flat is probably better unless I get some reflective tape on the inside.
I have another idea. There are these other ones that are called "COB LED". It's basically a cluster of LEDs with a massive diffuser. They look like this:

Here is a link on eBay. The item is located in California.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COB-2X-USA-W...dVpJDD&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Upgrade cargo lights with LED's