NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Rear LED turn signal upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-15, 11:06 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Where to put resistor?

So, this weekend, I removed my taillight assembly in an attempt to replace the turn signals with LED bulbs. I have the proper bulb and a set of resistors to deal with hyper-flashing. I tell you, I'm an expert now at removing those assemblies. Thanks to the manual and the folks on this thread that explain out it's done, it worked. (I totally recommend masking around the whole assembly before beginning!) [see pics below]

Anyway, I didn't install the new LEDs because I was unsure of where I could put the resistors. There isn't a lot of room inside the assembly to put them. My resistors are a couple of inches (or more long). They are the ceramic type.

What resistors are you guys using? Where are you putting them and how are you securing them to avoid rattling, etc? Also, is there a combo LED bulb and resistor unit?

Rear perspective of the masking around taillight assembly before removal to install LED turn signal bulbs.

Rear perspective of the masking around taillight assembly with bolt cover removed before removal to install LED turn signal bulbs.

Side-quarter perspective of the masking around taillight assembly before removal to install LED turn signal bulbs.
Old 09-28-15, 05:22 AM
spyderman3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave up on the project since I was never able to get it to stop hyperflashing.. I dont have time to mess with it and troubleshoot.
Old 09-28-15, 08:11 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe LED bulbs labeled as CANBUS have the built in resistor. I'd try it, but I'm too lazy to yank the whole thing out...
Old 09-28-15, 09:06 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by typocl
I believe LED bulbs labeled as CANBUS have the built in resistor. I'd try it, but I'm too lazy to yank the whole thing out...
Cool. I'll do some and see if I can find CANBUS LED.

By the way, while removing the assembly looks intimidating, it's really not difficult at all. I can now remove one in less than five minutes.
Old 11-10-15, 11:20 PM
phatm3
Driver

So who has the list of light bulbs we can change with LEDs (canbus?) and where to get them?
Old 01-19-16, 05:23 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Okay, now that I finally had my NX for a week, I can start modding it You can see in the "Upgrade cargo lights with LED's" thread that I have replaced all my other lights with LEDs and the rear turn signals are the last ones.

The OP of this thread has gone, I have messaged him about his lights to see how they are going, but he hasn't responded. He said his bulbs didn't require resistors, which would be the perfect solution if it was true.

Anyway I am going to try this mod out myself.

For bulbs, I have found these really nice Philips ones. The beam pattern and brightness matches the filament ones. Problem is they are very expensive at $100 a pair.

You can take a look at them here:
http://www.philips.com.au/c-p/12763X...-lamp/overview

I might go and try some cheaper eBay ones first.

As for the resistors, I actually have used "LED decoders" in my previous car. These are plug and play resistors that don't require splicing any wires or the resistor getting hot as they are enclosed in a heat shrink. Problem would be finding space. You can take a look here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-T20-74...kAAOSwstxVKMW6

I haven't opened the tail light assembly, so I have no idea how much space I am working with. If I have time tomorrow, I will go and open it up and see what I'm dealing with.

Can anyone here confirm the bulb size is a 7440/T20 bulb?
Old 01-19-16, 07:26 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
Okay, now that I finally had my NX for a week, I can start modding it You can see in the "Upgrade cargo lights with LED's" thread that I have replaced all my other lights with LEDs and the rear turn signals are the last ones.

The OP of this thread has gone, I have messaged him about his lights to see how they are going, but he hasn't responded. He said his bulbs didn't require resistors, which would be the perfect solution if it was true.

Anyway I am going to try this mod out myself.

For bulbs, I have found these really nice Philips ones. The beam pattern and brightness matches the filament ones. Problem is they are very expensive at $100 a pair.

You can take a look at them here:
http://www.philips.com.au/c-p/12763X...-lamp/overview

I might go and try some cheaper eBay ones first.

As for the resistors, I actually have used "LED decoders" in my previous car. These are plug and play resistors that don't require splicing any wires or the resistor getting hot as they are enclosed in a heat shrink. Problem would be finding space. You can take a look here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-T20-74...kAAOSwstxVKMW6

I haven't opened the tail light assembly, so I have no idea how much space I am working with. If I have time tomorrow, I will go and open it up and see what I'm dealing with.

Can anyone here confirm the bulb size is a 7440/T20 bulb?
It is T20 for the rear turn signal/winker -- see my response to your other thread regarding the trunk LED upgrade. In fact, your link to Philips Ultinon winker LED is the exact product some other people have used in NX.

Last edited by AndyL; 01-19-16 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 07:48 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AndyL
It is T20 for the rear turn signal/winker -- see my response to your other thread regarding the trunk LED upgrade. In fact, your link to Philips Ultinon winker LED is the exact product some other people have used in NX.
Yeah I saw

Do you know if the Philip's one requires resistors?
Old 01-19-16, 10:00 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah I saw

Do you know if the Philip's one requires resistors?
I believe it still requires the canceller/LED detector as Philips also supplies their own

http://www.amazon.co.jp/PHILIPS-フィリッ...QAW8JR5Y08WR1F
Old 01-19-16, 03:40 PM
NXOwner
Racer

As I previously mentioning this thread, I had my taillamp assembly removed and added the LED bulb only to find that it hyper-blinked. So I went and bought resisters (ceramic) but it turns out that there was absolutely no room for them in the housing.

If your resistors fit, please take photos of your procedure as I would like to finish what I started.

Tip: Be sure to mask-off the area surrounding the light's exoskeleton (as shown in my photos). Although it's not needed to actually remove the assembly, when it came loose (separated from the vehicle), it can scratch the paint. Had I not put tape there, I would have ended up with a deep scratch.

Good luck!
Old 01-19-16, 06:24 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AndyL
I believe it still requires the canceller/LED detector as Philips also supplies their own
The OP of this thread said he didn't need resistors... Have any of you bought the ones from Amazon like the OP?

Originally Posted by NXOwner
As I previously mentioning this thread, I had my taillamp assembly removed and added the LED bulb only to find that it hyper-blinked. So I went and bought resisters (ceramic) but it turns out that there was absolutely no room for them in the housing.
Do you have the premium DRLs with LED turn signals in the front or the standard one?
What LED replacement did you buy for the rear?
Do you have photos of the housing?
Old 01-19-16, 06:30 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spyderman3
wonder if this would solve the problem..

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/12V-Electro...l-p/aa1185.htm
They also sell the proper size LED turn signal bulb with the resistor built in. I have used these on my 2008 LS460 front turn signals with no probs

The CANBUS led's will not stop the hyperflashing, that combats another problem with the difference in resistance causing error messages for primarily European cars. You need to get led bulbs that either have the resistor/anti-flashing built into the bulb, or those that come with an external resistor solution. For most applications, there may not be room for the external resistor so you need to get something with the resistor built in. IJDMTOY.com has them and you may be able to find some on amazon

Last edited by 1Putt; 01-19-16 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 06:59 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1Putt
They also sell the proper size LED turn signal bulb with the resistor built in. I have used these on my 2008 LS460 front turn signals with no probs
The iJDMTOY ones do have a resistor in the form of a decoder like this:

You still need to put that box somewhere. I still need to open the tail light assembly to see if anything can fit in there.
Old 01-19-16, 08:43 PM
NXOwner
Racer

The OP of this thread said he didn't need resistors... Have any of you bought the ones from Amazon like the OP?
Originally Posted by NXOwner
Do you have the premium DRLs with LED turn signals in the front or the standard one?
What LED replacement did you buy for the rear?
Do you have photos of the housing?
I do have the premium DRLs with LEDs on the front. For the rear, I bought the exact LEDs that the OP used, installed them, and they hyper-flashed.

Another owner on this forum did the same and had similar results (after exchanging PMs). Since there isn't enough room for a resistor, I reverted back to the original incandescent bulbs. The other owner did the same.

I didn't take a photo of the inside of the housing, unfortunately.
Old 01-19-16, 08:48 PM
NXOwner
Racer

The iJDMTOY ones do have a resistor in the form of a decoder like this:
[...image removed to conserve bandwidth...]
You still need to put that box somewhere. I still need to open the tail light assembly to see if anything can fit in there.
From someone who has removed the taillight assembly—and from what I can tell by the photo—there's definitely no room for that inside the assembly housing.

Quick Reply: Rear LED turn signal upgrade