NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: Do you like Lexus' new Remote Touch Interface (RTI) Touchpad?
Yes, with haptic feedback ENABLED.
28.57%
Yes, with haptic feedback DISABLED.
36.90%
Somewhat.
17.86%
No, it's a bad input device.
16.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Remote Touch Interface Touchpad - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 05:35 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I like it. Since we have the IS and the NX, I have the ability to see both the joystick and the touch pad. Overall, I like the touchpad because I can just touch anywhere on it to begin moving around the screen. In the IS I have to look away from the road to find where the joystick is at to grab it.

However, the placement could be a LITTLE better. The arm rest thing is neat, but the downward angle from the arm rest can be a little clumsy. I liked the raised design in the RC-F much better.
Old 07-22-15, 05:51 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Finger prints? Main reason is for safety and ergonomics purposes, Lexus chose to place the display as close to the driver's line of site which in fact places it furthest away from arm's reach, hence the "Remote Touch" controls IN arm's reach.

If this works smoothly and accurately, motion-sensing will be the next gen input control manufacturers will want to copy. BMW's upcoming 7-series will have it.

Lol True. Fingerprints would annoy the heck out of my wife as she is OCD about those things. She has a microfiber cloth with her that she uses to constantly wipe down her phone. Me not so much. However, I think there are some materials out there that are less prone to fingerprints.

The Lexus touchpad interface has potential. I just think it needs much more development to get it better.

As for the motion sensing tech, looks neat but again I hope they give it proper R&D for it to be an effective interface..
Old 07-22-15, 06:17 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, my wife has a touch screen ATS and the screen is always loaded with finger prints. I love the touch screen but it did take a couple days to get it down.

Also, you can use your smart phone to input addresses. You can use Bing in the App Suite on your phone or sign into LexusDrivers.com and use eDestinations to send directions to your car. Both work well, just check the Navigation manual.
Old 07-22-15, 08:04 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

as of now, I don't like the interface cause it's way too sensitive. bumps in the road is enough to register a press and engage a function, etc.
Old 07-22-15, 08:16 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
as of now, I don't like the interface cause it's way too sensitive. bumps in the road is enough to register a press and engage a function, etc.
Wow...how hard are you hitting bumps? I drive stupid bumpy roads and I've never seen this happen.
Old 07-22-15, 09:00 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is our first vehicle with such technology so really have nothing to compare it to. I like that you don't have to reach up to the dash and finger prints on the touchscreen would drive me crazy. So for us we like the touchpad. I have to agree that the location doesn't fit with my driving position, but then again, I don't get to drive it very often.

The real fault in all these systems is the inability for the Navigation system to read an address from your contact list and use it as a destination.
Old 08-28-15, 11:31 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I did not like the touchpad at all until I found this thread. I've adjusted the sensitivity to off. The touch pad is much better now. Thanks.
Old 08-29-15, 08:18 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Two things I don't like about the touch pad are:
1. Haptic feedback. At least we can turn it off.
2. The fact that the display will have something highlighted in blue (selected item) and also something highlighted in pink to indicate where the touchpad is focused on. I find this confusing at times.

I have a 2015 Sienna XLE and the touchscreen on that vehicle is perfect. High PPI count = sharp text & images, bright, close to the driver, and responsive to selections. The only problem is smudges.
Old 08-31-15, 08:53 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I've used the touch pad for a couple of days now with the haptic feedback turned off. It is much more user friendly now. Does anyone know what the purpose of the haptic feedback is?
Old 08-31-15, 09:51 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by olgzr
I've used the touch pad for a couple of days now with the haptic feedback turned off. It is much more user friendly now. Does anyone know what the purpose of the haptic feedback is?
let's you know when you're over a clickable item (which you usually get visual feedback if looking at the screen)
Old 08-31-15, 10:14 AM
jeffdawgfa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have only owned the car for one day. Played around with it on the 200 mile trip home. Compared to the input on the Buick Enclave we traded in, it is excellent. Can actually use it without having to take off road so much. Use by touch/feel like my laptop. My guess is it will become second nature just like a track pad.
Old 11-21-15, 04:35 PM
coooolwhip
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the trackpad a premium/optional feature?
I hope so because the NX I took delivery of today did NOT have the trackpad! it had the old ****/joystick .
Old 11-22-15, 04:56 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by coooolwhip
Is the trackpad a premium/optional feature?
I hope so because the NX I took delivery of today did NOT have the trackpad! it had the old ****/joystick .
Yes, the Remote Touch Interface (RTI) Touchpad is an optional feature equipped with the Nav/Enform.

The standard input device is called the Display Audio Controller.

Congrats and enjoy your new NX!

Old 11-22-15, 12:52 PM
jayy178
Rookie

interface and feel doesnt compare to my bmw idrive. nav + touchpad is one area that i was hesitant about when i bought the nx
Old 11-23-15, 12:06 PM
TP88
Driver School Candidate

Didn't like it much during the test drive. But now after driving for a week now, I love it. I haven't even changed the settings yet, so I expect to like it even more once I tweak things. To qualify my statements, I am a tech fan and have always liked touch pads.

It is very easy to operate while driving, and between the touch pad and the "Hey Siri" / Siri Eyes Free it seems to be the most non distracting infotainment system I have come across. I think my Acura MDX had a better sounding system, but as far as interaction using the MDX dial vs the NX touchpad, the NX bests it.

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Interface Touchpad - Yay or Nay?