NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

New RX looks BIG - happy with the NX

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 05:28 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New RX looks BIG - happy with the NX

Just saw some photos and specs for the next gen RX. Looks like a very large NX. Pulled the trigger on an NX last week and glad we did it. My wife's 2012 RX was a bit too large for her and subsequently she swiped our garage door frame a lot. New RX looks to be 6 inches longer so we're glad we didn't wait.

I was also worried I wouldn't like the NX as much since it's a bit of a 'step down' in terms of perceived luxury factor but the driving dynamics way make up for that. I didn't really like driving the 2012 RX but I really enjoy driving the NX!

Overall - glad we didn't wait!
Old 04-02-15, 06:07 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
Just saw some photos and specs for the next gen RX. Looks like a very large NX. Pulled the trigger on an NX last week and glad we did it. My wife's 2012 RX was a bit too large for her and subsequently she swiped our garage door frame a lot. New RX looks to be 6 inches longer so we're glad we didn't wait.

I was also worried I wouldn't like the NX as much since it's a bit of a 'step down' in terms of perceived luxury factor but the driving dynamics way make up for that. I didn't really like driving the 2012 RX but I really enjoy driving the NX!

Overall - glad we didn't wait!
Ditto that exactly. The reason we switched to an NX was overall size. My wife also swiped the garage backing out the RX also. I was bored with the RX also, bad gas mileage and sluggish driving.

So far we love our NX, drives much better. I almost feel like we bought a sports car.
Old 04-02-15, 07:06 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Same reason here on downsizing which is the reason for the switch from the 3RX to the NX. Size difference is a fairly decent 5 inches shorter and almost 2 inches narrower. With the 4RX, we're talking 10 inches longer over the NX, but wow I do love the new polished interior... still very tempting!
Old 04-02-15, 08:01 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded in an older RX330 which I loved. Wondered if I'd regret it after the new RX came out but not at all. In fact it looks a lot like the NX. Just love the NX and no regrets whatsoever!!! Would still make the same decision now that I've seen it!
Old 04-02-15, 12:31 PM
bostonb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I share the opinion that the new RX looks like an oversized NX. Saw the pictures earlier this week and wondered if I pulled the trigger too early with the NX. I love the NX, but size has been a bit of an issue. I liked the size of the RX, but didn't like the look. I wanted something a bit more fresh, sporty, and for younger adults. I felt the NX has all that. Now, it looks like the new RX has the best of both worlds of what I'm looking for... that sporty/fresh look + the size. But... this is always going to happen with every new model that comes out so... in the end, I still very happy with my Smurfy NX.
Old 04-03-15, 12:08 PM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

il prob trade my wifes highlander to this RX and keep the NX
Old 04-03-15, 01:03 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Ditto that exactly. The reason we switched to an NX was overall size. My wife also swiped the garage backing out the RX also. I was bored with the RX also, bad gas mileage and sluggish driving.

So far we love our NX, drives much better. I almost feel like we bought a sports car.
My wife did that too. Smacked a steel pole at a coffee drive through. Picked up my NX wednesday.
Old 04-03-15, 07:03 PM
Xtino
Driver School Candidate

The new RX looks sweet! I really like it, the only thing is that in my personal opinion the IP of the NX looks so much better, it's more modern and flows better, although the interior improvement of the new RX vs the current one is huge! It's way better, looks more premium.

Still like my NX more tbh plus I don't need a bigger car, I think the size of my NX is perfect!
Old 04-04-15, 04:36 AM
leej865
Driver

For those of you whose wives were hitting the garage with their old RX, you might note that the RX is only .6 inches wider than the NX.
Old 04-04-15, 08:58 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by leej865
For those of you whose wives were hitting the garage with their old RX, you might note that the RX is only .6 inches wider than the NX.
The new RX is 74.6" and NX is 73.6", One whole Inch!!!That would probably add up to at least another $1000 in damage when my wife insists on turning the wheel to back straight out
Old 04-04-15, 09:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The new RX is 74.6" and NX is 73.6", One whole Inch!!!That would probably add up to at least another $1000 in damage when my wife insists on turning the wheel to back straight out
That's what I was thinking, but thought it was just me lol.
Old 04-04-15, 09:22 AM
leej865
Driver

I am talking the current RX....some said their wives were hitting their garages driving their RX...and the current RX is 74.2 inches wide...vs NX 73.6...so only .6 inches smaller. Sounds like you guys need wider garages...or new wives.
Old 04-04-15, 10:18 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Being technical here.

In Canada, the NX width is stated at 72.6 in. I saw/read somewhere the US' stated 73.6 in is measured from the edge of the mirrors folded. Having owned the 3RX with a width of 74.2 in (body, not mirror width), it's much wider on the inside and out than just 0.6 in as compared to the US spec. In short, I believe the body width difference is therefore 1.6 in with the 3RX while the 4RX's 74.6 in makes for a substantial 2 in increase in body width.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-04-15 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 12:53 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Originally Posted by leej865
I am talking the current RX....some said their wives were hitting their garages driving their RX...and the current RX is 74.2 inches wide...vs NX 73.6...so only .6 inches smaller. Sounds like you guys need wider garages...or new wives.
I think the width without mirrors is more pronounced.

Either way, it feels smaller so I think I'll keep the NX and the wife
Old 04-04-15, 01:30 PM
Tonyy
Driver

I really like the look of the new RX except for its larger size. The NX gives me all the room I need but still feels like a car when driving it around and parking it in tighter spots.

Those that use that extra space and love the design of the NX will thoroughly enjoy the 2016 RX.

Quick Reply: New RX looks BIG - happy with the NX