NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Running Boards (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 04:15 AM
Gizmo607
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys. The reason why I am thinking about the running boards is because of the issues other owners are complaining about the bottom of the door gap where during the winter time snow will get stuck at the bottom of the door gap. I don't know where if you saw the post of this issue earlier. So I was thinking that the mud guards and the running boards will resolve the issue. from the pics you posted it looks like it makes the care lower?

Drifter did u get the running boards for that price?
Old 04-02-15, 05:37 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

I am thinking of getting them when I buy my vehicle. The reason for me is the other half is only 5 1. The mother n laws on both sides are both barely 5 ft tall. One mother n law has an older RX with running boards to help her get in the vehicle.

I personally never saw the need for them but can understand those who use a roof rack or have height challenged family. I guess it can help with kids as well.
Old 04-02-15, 06:29 AM
drifter123
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gizmo607
Drifter did u get the running boards for that price?

Not yet but I think it’s worth the price if it provides door ding protection. I think they add to the appearance as well.
Old 04-02-15, 07:58 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

it'll provide almost no door ding protection. The NX doors are curved and the running boards stick out just a little bit, but only at the bottom, where you typically don't get dings from other cars. If they do provide protection, it would be a fairly rare occurance. Which is why I got the body side moldings too.
Old 04-02-15, 08:12 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Do the running boards offer a little protection from road debris kicking up? It looks like they maybea little similar to mudflaps where loose stones or winter road salt may not kick up into the doors as easily when you drive over it. I have seen vehicles with small chips in the paint because of this.

Last edited by wildeklave; 04-02-15 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 08:40 AM
typocl
Instructor

Originally Posted by wildeklave
Do the running boards offer a little protection from road debris licking up? It looks like they may a little similar to mudflaps where loose stones or winter road salt may not kick up into the doors as easily when you drive over it. I have seen vehicles with small chips in the paint because of this.
I can see it providing some protection from rocks being kicked up by the front wheels. I'm probably well protected on that front since I got the mud guards too.
Old 04-07-15, 06:12 PM
Speedblade
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have pictures of running boards on a black/obsidian F sport? I'm trying to decide if the running boards would look good with or complement the silver lip on the F sport front bumper.
Old 04-09-15, 03:02 PM
VipVip
Rookie

I Too would like to see pics on black.

are these oem or afterarket. called my dealer, said they didnt have it
Old 04-09-15, 03:43 PM
typocl
Instructor

the ones I got (above photos) are OEM - dealer installed post purchase
Old 04-17-15, 03:43 PM
typocl
Instructor

driving today and something got kicked up, I could hear it hit the bottom of the running boards. Glad I got them.
Old 05-09-15, 04:13 AM
rsmccleary
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bottom line

So... bottom line, do the running boards stop the issue of having dirty door jams?
Old 05-09-15, 05:16 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

If you live in a climate where you have snow, I would not get the running boards. We have found that snow piles up on them making it harder to open the doors, especially if there is ice. Also, it got inside easier and was hard to keep clean. We have experienced this here in VA. Now as in the pic above, they do look great, and if you don't have winter weather much, they might work well for you. On the NX, they don't stick out as far, so what I mentioned may not be an issue at all.
Old 05-09-15, 05:18 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by typocl
I had the dealer install running boards, it's in the recent photos I posted in the Pics Of Your NX Now thread, but here they are as well:

They don't really extend past the doors in the center much at all, you don't get a lot of surface to stand on until you open the doors.

Cost me nothing, but then again, I paid MSRP. I had the dealer throw in the running boards, body side molding, mud guards, and bumper protector. Took over a day for them to install it all as the running boards seem to be a little complicated to install.

The car is low enough that you don't really need them to get in and out. I mainly got it for the future when I might get roof cross bars. I found the running boards on my RAV4 helpful when throwing things on the roof and tying things down.
Your running boards look great on the NX...if we didn't have the snow we do, I would get them as well, but harder to keep clean, and it gets inside.
Old 05-09-15, 04:31 PM
typocl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ronn1
Your running boards look great on the NX...if we didn't have the snow we do, I would get them as well, but harder to keep clean, and it gets inside.
that's interesting, as there's issues with snow/dirt accumulating under the door, and the running boards resolved that problem for another user

my granddaughter is able to get out of the back by using the running board
Old 05-10-15, 09:57 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by typocl
that's interesting, as there's issues with snow/dirt accumulating under the door, and the running boards resolved that problem for another user

my granddaughter is able to get out of the back by using the running board
The running boards might have resolved the snow/dirt with the NX ....my running boards were on a different vehicle, which could make a difference. Yours look sharp, and the cross bars will complete the look

Quick Reply: NX Running Boards (Merged Threads)