NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2016 nx

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 10:45 AM
drifter123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 nx

Hi guys, I知 looking at the 2015 NX 200t F sport. After a test drive I feel in love but with one catch. I知 not fond of the track pad controller on the infotainment center. I just saw pictures and a video of the new 2016 RX and notice that it does not have the track pad, it uses a joy stick type controller. I知 thinking the more expensive redesigned RX would certainly have the track pad if it were superior to the joy stick. So I plan on waiting for the 2016 NX now to see if Lexus changes the controller.
Questions:
  • When would you estimate info on the 2016 NX will come out?
  • When is it likely to be able to place an order?
  • How long does it normally take to get a Lexus from time of order to delivery?
Thanks!
Old 04-01-15, 11:08 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

go try an NX again, but disable the haptic feedback and see if it's better

I did that and now I'm fine with the track pad. The haptic feedback is interesting, but it's not like you can maneuver without looking at the screen.
Old 04-01-15, 11:19 AM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you post the video. Didn't like the trackpad either, but picking my 2015 up today.
Old 04-01-15, 11:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Awhile back someone on here (can't remember who) stated that Lexus was intending on using the track pad for products that appeal to the younger owners and the traditional stick RTI for those models with an older demographic. I have no idea if it's true, but the RC and NX have the pad, while the new RX has the stick, so it seems to fit. I would be incredibly surprised if that changes on the 2016 NX.
Old 04-01-15, 11:57 AM
leej865
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Awhile back someone on here (can't remember who) stated that Lexus was intending on using the track pad for products that appeal to the younger owners and the traditional stick RTI for those models with an older demographic. I have no idea if it's true, but the RC and NX have the pad, while the new RX has the stick, so it seems to fit. I would be incredibly surprised if that changes on the 2016 NX.
I don't think this would be true...Lexus changed to the haptic pad because their original mouse-like controller was so bad. The haptic pad is not getting any more praise. In fact some reviews call it even worse and more difficult to use. Maybe they are finally getting the message and getting a more universally accepted type of controller.
Old 04-01-15, 11:59 AM
drifter123
Rookie

Originally Posted by typocl

I did that and now I'm fine with the track pad. The haptic feedback is interesting, but it's not like you can maneuver without looking at the screen.

I tried the controller without haptic feedback and various other settings to full power, I actually preferred haptic feedback. However I did not try out the joy stick type controller like in the RX. I guess I need to compare the two directly but it痴 interesting that the 2016 RX is using a joy stick. After much research online the main complaint was the track pad controller. I知 not saying the track pad was terrible by any means but I don稚 want to have regrets if the 2016 NX comes equipped with the joy stick controller.
Old 04-01-15, 12:41 PM
filippos
Driver School Candidate

Do you mind telling me the steps to disabling it ?? i want to try the track pad without the haptic feedback because it seems too sensitive for me...

thanks,
Old 04-01-15, 01:05 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

click the Menu button, then Setup, General, scroll down to Feedback Force. Change it to the lowest setting, which disables it.
Old 04-01-15, 06:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

OP.

- '16 NX likely in early Q4. Info may be available mid to late summer
- mid/late-summer likely the time when orders will begin to be taken for the '16
- typical 3-4 month lead time.

Probability of the NX getting the physical RTI in '16 - very unlikely. Lexus typically reserves moderate changes for its mid-cycle refresh which is three years away still. As typocl has mentioned, try the touchpad again without the force feedback as this is also my preferred mode of operation.
Old 04-01-15, 08:24 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Picked up my NX today and found the touch pad pretty distracting to use while driving. I imagine after continued use it will become more intuitive. I find I have to look down to find the pad, then the screen, find the cursor, then attempt to hit the right icon. Kind of miss the **** on my RX. At least it has an A/C button without having to scroll through menus.
Old 04-01-15, 08:33 PM
drifter123
Rookie

Is there a setting for curser sensitivity, not haptic feedback?
Old 04-01-15, 09:07 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care for the touch pad but it's not too bad. We traded an RX with the older 'joystick' and I think it was much easier to use. Getting used to the touchpad after some driving so it likely won't seem too bad after a while I would guess.

I would bet that Lexus went back to the joystick because of the complaints from a number of reviewers. Again, they don't spend a ton of time in the cars so they don't 'learn' how to get used to poorly designed interfaces. Humans can adapt to a lot and the touch pad is no different.
Old 04-02-15, 12:03 AM
bostonb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. Hated that haptic technology in the touchpad of the NX. It was instant hate. I disabled it the moment I got into the vehicle while they were showing me all the controls. Haven't turned it back on since.
Old 04-02-15, 05:50 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
OP.

- '16 NX likely in early Q4. Info may be available mid to late summer
- mid/late-summer likely the time when orders will begin to be taken for the '16
- typical 3-4 month lead time.

Probability of the NX getting the physical RTI in '16 - very unlikely. Lexus typically reserves moderate changes for its mid-cycle refresh which is three years away still. As typocl has mentioned, try the touchpad again without the force feedback as this is also my preferred mode of operation.
This is just a guess but I have a feeling the 2016 model will come out after the RX. Also, I wouldn;t expect any major changes from the 15 to 16. The only changes may be if they detected inefficiencies that need correcting. For example it is possible they may have an updated software release for the nav system since some have reported freezing in the current version. If a particular sensor, screw, shock, or other part seemed to have inefficiencies they may correct that too.

Part of the updates is based on sales cycles. Those who are leasing a 2015 NX will typically have a 24 to 36 month lease. Car companies like to refresh / redesign vehicles so that the returning leasees have something new to lease. I would guess there may be some minor changes for the 2017 model. It may be as simple as the Executive trim, HUD, Pano roof, or other features not in North America yet.

The reason I am seriously looking at the NX over Acura RDX is because Acura made 0 changes between the 2013 and 2015 RDX. The 2013 Accord and recently released CRV have features not even available in the RDX until the 2016 model year that will be released in the next month. Being overly conservative like that will allow a segment of buyers to go to the competition. Acura was trying to not cannibalize sales from the MDX and TLX but those who didn't want those vehicles were easily able to go to a Jeep Cherokee, Ford Escape, Lincoln MKC, and now Lexus NX with all the features Acura was slow to implement in the RDX.
Old 04-02-15, 06:02 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The touchpad is awful. No setting I've tried works for me. It's just too sensitive. I didn't like the joystick on my RX either at first but grew used to it. Hopefully this will be the case with the NX. I doubt if Lexus will change it.

Quick Reply: 2016 nx