NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Child seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 06:57 AM
LI Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Child seat

Anyone with little kids purchase an NX yet?

Would love some feedback on how a booster and a rear facing convertible fit in the back with driver and passenger seats at a comfortable position
Old 03-31-15, 07:16 AM
Darkside81
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to know the answer as well. I know there have been complaints about the center seat belt not being ideal. I placed this exact setup comfortably in a 2014 Rav 4 without issue so I'm hoping that there isn't a drastic difference in the NX that I am hoping to pick up in the coming months.
Old 03-31-15, 08:24 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I came from a 2002 RAV4 using a front facing carseat/booster and a small booster:

Graco Nautilus and Graco booster

Fitting a teen in the middle was a squeeze.

Surprisingly, given the NX is wider than my RAV4, it was more of a squeeze. I think the doors take up more interior space. I ended up replacing both with a Diono R120 and BubbleBum booster:

The Diono (used to be Sunshine Kids) is the narrowest front facing car seat brand. No arms and no fixed cupholder.

I can't speak about a rear facing car seat though.

Oh, if you just need to worry about two, and not worry about a third person being comfortable, then you're good...
Old 03-31-15, 08:48 AM
gdcheng
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I moved from an IS250 to a NX because I needed the extra room for my growing kids. I have one in a forward facing Britax seat and one in a high back booster. The room for the car seats and the kids is great and there is definitely enough leg room. If you talk to the kids, they are happy. It is wider than what they had in the IS and the seats fit well. The only thing I had to do is buy a seat belt extender for the booster side because the seat belt clasp was a little lower than he could reach. But < $20 off of Amazon is no issue. Hope that helps!
Old 03-31-15, 08:50 AM
atowerlexs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second all above and Amazon is the way to go!
Old 03-31-15, 10:38 AM
rjw972
Driver School Candidate

Check out this YouTube video about child seat(s) for the NX.

Old 03-31-15, 10:49 AM
LI Lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by gdcheng
I moved from an IS250 to a NX because I needed the extra room for my growing kids. I have one in a forward facing Britax seat and one in a high back booster. The room for the car seats and the kids is great and there is definitely enough leg room. If you talk to the kids, they are happy. It is wider than what they had in the IS and the seats fit well. The only thing I had to do is buy a seat belt extender for the booster side because the seat belt clasp was a little lower than he could reach. But < $20 off of Amazon is no issue. Hope that helps!
My wife has 6 months to go on her MB C300 lease, we too had a get a seat belt extender for the booster seat side, my 4 year old could not get to the buckle and I was tired of cutting my knuckles reaching over her to click it in
Old 03-31-15, 08:19 PM
typocl
Instructor

I forgot, the Diono can be rear facing too.
Old 03-31-15, 10:18 PM
Pangoo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alex on autos is solid and I love his child seat reviews. He's very technical.
Old 04-01-15, 07:25 AM
slckrck
Driver School Candidate

I currently have my little guy(1.4yo) rear facing in a Recaro Performance Ride seat. It is much bigger than most Graco ones BUT there is plenty of leg space for the kid especially if you recline the seat. The front passenger has PLENTY of leg space.

SOOOO the rear facing car seat test PASSED. The # 3 reason why I bought the car. I can take pics if you need.
Old 04-02-15, 07:12 AM
LI Lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by slckrck
I currently have my little guy(1.4yo) rear facing in a Recaro Performance Ride seat. It is much bigger than most Graco ones BUT there is plenty of leg space for the kid especially if you recline the seat. The front passenger has PLENTY of leg space.

SOOOO the rear facing car seat test PASSED. The # 3 reason why I bought the car. I can take pics if you need.
Picture would be much appreciated
Old 04-02-15, 09:35 AM
bostonb
Rookie

I have a 2-year old and we're still doing rear-facing. We have a Britax Boulevard G4 Convertible Car Seat and I have to say the thing is huge. It limits my ability even more toward the blind spot areas, but I heavily rely on the blind spot monitors anyway.

When rear-facing, and due to the way the backseat of the NX angle upwards a bit, it raises the Britax seat a bit high so every time I put my daughter in, I have to angle her a certain way to get into the car and then into her seat. It's not the most ideal, but that's what we have to deal with. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with in terms of comfort. My daughter never complains while sitting in it and in fact, always falls asleep when I pick her up and drive home... says a lot about the smooth ride of the NX!
Old 04-03-15, 05:50 AM
slckrck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LI IS
Picture would be much appreciated
The only thing that is less desirable is the sloping door opening toward the back seat. I have to turn my son a little bit sideways to get him in. The towel is a trick I learned for legs pace and also prevent any scuffing on the leather.

As you can see, PLENTY of front passenger leg space.
Attached Thumbnails Child seat-img_1004.jpg   Child seat-img_1005.jpg  
Old 04-03-15, 06:22 AM
LI Lexus
Driver

Thanks a million for taking the pictures.. I feel a little better after seeing that, Now I just have to wait for there to be some deals on the NX, the current lease offers are pretty high
Old 04-03-15, 09:12 AM
typocl
Instructor

so for us older folks...can you remember growing up in smaller cars and kids were just bouncing around in the back seat...

That Recaro looks huge.

I'll try to take some photos this weekend with rear facing car seats I have.

Quick Reply: Child seat