NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 05:31 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My NX200t is now a year old (a May, 2015 build) and is really solid. Reports from the field indicate universally that frequency of repairs and associated difficulties for the NX are very low. I confess to being a bit nonplussed by the comments to the contrary posted here.

Happy motoring.
Old 11-15-16, 09:29 AM
sseaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to the info on this thread I was able to locate the rattle we had since buying with 14k miles, it was caused by the plastic shield underneath the car below the drivers seat, the plastic clip was allowing it to knock when hitting bumps in the road. For now I put a small piece of foam to stop and will have the deal check at the next service.
Old 12-02-16, 01:37 PM
RRedline
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Me, earlier in this thread
And mine is the least. Car has more rattles and squeaks than any car I've ever owned. Dealer trips are massively inconvenient, so we live with it. My neighbor just picked up a new RX and it is silent inside -- wish my NX was like that. Overall, as my first Lexus, not a great impression for build quality.
This car is my wife's daily driver -- she drives about 75 miles a day round trip to work. We've had the car 10 months and it's got almost 20k on it. I stand by my initial assessment above. The latest rattle in this car is coming from -- of all things -- the rear view mirror. The plastic housing rattles like crazy and no amount of switching the position stops it. Drives me nuts when I drive the car -- I think my wife is just used to all the noises. Between the two of us, we've had several Nissans, Infinitis and Hondas over the years and this NX really is the most disappointing Japanese car we've owned -- especially for the price.
Old 12-02-16, 02:05 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

my left knee rests against the driver door right under the window controls and I noticed it squeeks at the end of the leather section

passenger side door doesn't have that

I'm going to bring it up during my next service to see if they can somehow tighten that up
Old 12-02-16, 11:33 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RRedline
This car is my wife's daily driver -- she drives about 75 miles a day round trip to work. We've had the car 10 months and it's got almost 20k on it. I stand by my initial assessment above. The latest rattle in this car is coming from -- of all things -- the rear view mirror. The plastic housing rattles like crazy and no amount of switching the position stops it. Drives me nuts when I drive the car -- I think my wife is just used to all the noises. Between the two of us, we've had several Nissans, Infinitis and Hondas over the years and this NX really is the most disappointing Japanese car we've owned -- especially for the price.
I had rattle from my rearview mirror area too. Some people experienced the same in the IS forum (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ew-mirror.html).

However, my rattle was not coming from the mirror body it self but from the plastic cover on the base of the mirror where it meets the windshield. I applied some light pressure on the cover to seat it properly and the rattle was gone.
Old 12-11-16, 11:02 AM
Randy20g
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sseaman
Thanks to the info on this thread I was able to locate the rattle we had since buying with 14k miles, it was caused by the plastic shield underneath the car below the drivers seat, the plastic clip was allowing it to knock when hitting bumps in the road. For now I put a small piece of foam to stop and will have the deal check at the next service.

I found the same noise, and did the exact same thing. That one clip is loose and causing the plastic shield to vibrate at speed. It makes a sound like a loose piece of trim on the door of the car rattling.

I have also heard the gas sloshing sound when sitting on a hill at a red light. The car has the be very quiet inside to hear it, but it IS there.
Old 01-10-17, 01:02 PM
RaStr519
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by t6falmas
We purchased a 2015 Lexus 2015 NX200t this year. Its the base model.we have 600 miles on the clock. We absolutely love the car! however, there is a rattling sound coming out of the dashboard passenger side/could also be from the front passenger door panel. a sound that could be coming for the plastic trim piece(the carbon fiber look a like) on the dash above the glove box. it sounds like plastic rubbing on dash. Its driving us insane!!! of course you only hear it intermittently!! and depends on the road you drive on. Any ideas? Noise was there from day 1. The SUV was ordered and delivered to us. We test drove a different car.

Wind noise is there but expected. no other issues.
Did you bring this to a Lexus dealer to fix? I have the same exact issue and adjusting the vents didn't help. It is driving me crazy since it became cold out. It has gotten worse. I need it fixed ASAP but want to know what they did for you, if anything.
Old 01-16-17, 08:20 PM
snleoNX
Driver School Candidate

Default RE: Rattling/Ticking Noise Front Passenger Door

Hi, I noticed your post when doing a Google search for this exact problem. I have a 2016 NX F-Sport with the same issue. The rattling sound starts at around 40 MPH and continues to get louder at various points and directions. It's incredibly annoying for sure! I brought the car back to the Lexus Dealer and had the service manager ride with me. He could hear the noise but told me that they would have a hard time trying to figure out where to start looking. He told me to bring it back for the 5,000 mile service, and they would take a good look at it then. He mentioned that he hoped it would get louder by then. I'm not sure if I can wait! In your case, were they able to find out what the cause was? It sounds like something is loose inside the door frame itself, however, there is nothing to the naked eye that would confirm this of course. I was just curious as maybe it would help the service Techs at my Lexus dealer to figure out what is going on with my NX. I have 33,000 Miles and a little less than 3 years to go on my lease, and already I am questioning my decision...

Originally Posted by LBCDan
I noticed a slight rattle/ticking noise coming from the front passenger door. At first it was only above 40 mph but now it is at lower speeds as well and getting louder. When I press on the top of the door card, the sound seems to dissipate a lot but doesn't go away completely. It must be an ill-fitting door molding or a loose cable inside the door. I'll have the dealer check it out. It is really disappointing to hear this noise in a brand new Lexus NX. I was going to wait until my 5k service but it is starting to drive me crazy, I may have to deal with it before then.
Old 01-17-17, 04:59 AM
RaStr519
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by snleoNX
Hi, I noticed your post when doing a Google search for this exact problem. I have a 2016 NX F-Sport with the same issue. The rattling sound starts at around 40 MPH and continues to get louder at various points and directions. It's incredibly annoying for sure! I brought the car back to the Lexus Dealer and had the service manager ride with me. He could hear the noise but told me that they would have a hard time trying to figure out where to start looking. He told me to bring it back for the 5,000 mile service, and they would take a good look at it then. He mentioned that he hoped it would get louder by then. I'm not sure if I can wait! In your case, were they able to find out what the cause was? It sounds like something is loose inside the door frame itself, however, there is nothing to the naked eye that would confirm this of course. I was just curious as maybe it would help the service Techs at my Lexus dealer to figure out what is going on with my NX. I have 33,000 Miles and a little less than 3 years to go on my lease, and already I am questioning my decision...
I am about 2.5k miles away from my 10k service, so I might wait. But I really would like to drop it off sooner, but I feel bad just bringing it in for that noise. I did scroll through this entire forum and found where someone opened the speaker (at the far right corner of the dash) and put in insulation, and the sound went away. It sounds like it could be coming from there, but who knows.

Also, I am hearing a rattle or crackling from the back right window area when it's extremely cold. It's very annoying. I am also hearing a vibration/rattle from my driver's seatbelt area while driving. Do you think they will be able to fix all of these problems? I noticed some people in here had those exact problems too. When I first got my NX, the car was completely silent and I loved it. Now almost 8K in, it's a rattling mess!
Old 01-17-17, 05:54 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a little over 1,000 miles on my 2016 NX.

So far I have not noticed any significant rattles. However, I was noticing a noise in the rear area and found that the bottom of the storage net was rubbing against the all-weather floor mat. I moved it around a bit to solve the issue.
Old 01-17-17, 02:54 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

For those with the passenger door rattle. Roll down the passenger window so that it's about 1/5 of the way down & see if the rattle disappears. If so, it's your seal between the window and the trim. I fixed mine by simply not rolling up the window to the point it stops on it's own, I roll it up just to the point of stopping and leave it. Solved my issue.
Old 01-23-17, 07:32 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Was driving yesterday and my father asks me to open the window in the passenger seat in the back, I rarely open the rear windows so I didn't notice the issue till now. So I opened it about 2-3". Then I came across some rough pavement and I start hearing glass clattering. I closed the window and its gone. I opened it again to about the same as before and going on rough pavement, again there's a glass clattering noise. I then opened the other side passenger window and the same result. Is anyone else having this glass clattering issue when opening the window slightly and going on rough pavement?
Old 01-25-17, 03:00 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Brought my car to the dealer to have the rattles looked at. Of course some of the issues don't occur when the technicians are there. They did note the subwoofer rattle, which seem like a surprise to them. They only know of the license plate rattle, in which I responded, I dynamat the whole plate and foamed, there's no way its the plate. Are NX owners simply not telling dealers that the subwoofer plastics rattles like crazy? Anyways, also they noted the passenger rear window rattle. The technician in the back made the comment that when its opened slightly the glass is most vulnerable. I wanted to say, maybe for Fiat, I don't expect any glass rattles from a Lexus. But they'll look to see if any seals are loose. The guy also mentioned that when you listen to high bass music its normal it would rattle. I told the main technician, does volume level 16 sound too ridiculous? I understand if it was 30, but its no excuse. The service consultant told me he'll call me tomorrow, so we'll see.
Old 02-12-17, 11:26 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Decided to take some time out to fix the subwoofer rattling myself today. I first got inside the back, close the door and listened to where the rattles were coming from. The main annoying subwoofer rattle was from the plastic tab that you can pry out and see the locking mechanism to the lift gate. There was a lot of "play" with that plastic. So like what I did with my license plate rattle, I used moleskin and mole foam. After the process, the main annoying subwoofer rattle issue I had was gone. Now there is a slight rattle inside the lift gate left hand bottom area where the lift gate curves. When I hold it gently, the rattle goes away. I'll have to address it another day. When I'm using plugged in music source, I can notice that bottom gate area rattle, but when I use BT source, I can't really hear it, so I can live with it for now.

Pried out the plastic tab and this is what you'll see. No felt or anything to prevent rattles.

As you can see here, Lexus thought adding these two small and thin felt stickers would address the rattling issues.

I cut out the mole foam for the surface, and cut moleskin for the surrounding walls. I also used a black marker to color in the skin tone material, so that I can hide it better. If you can find black moleskin or foam that would be great. Yes, I went overkill and just wanted to make sure this area won't make a peep of sound anymore.

So I thought I would use moleskin on these tabs on the top, but it didn't quite fit back in the slot, so I had to remove it. I did however, added more moleskin on the bottom tabs and wrapped it from front to the back of the tab.

This is the finished look. Yes, the fuzzy skin tone material is still a little visible after using a black marker, however, the rattling is gone completely from this area. I'm happy.

Last edited by aztr0; 02-12-17 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-13-17, 09:52 AM
IvanDt
Driver School Candidate

Default strange noice

After 10,000 miles, i noticed a strange noise coming from left front wheel. while i am making right turn and applying the brake the same time, i can hear the clunking noise. it only happened when i step on the brake.

Quick Reply: NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread