NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 06:11 AM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have the same engine noise i posted? thank you.
Old 05-12-15, 07:20 AM
KarmaNina
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yeah I had the same squeak that was driving me nuts over winter until I also discovered it to be the center arm rest too. Moving it "Resets" it until it comes back. I haven't heard it in a while and it's probably due to the warmer temps now but I plan on putting some leather conditioner (even if Nuluxe) but only along the contact points. Hoping that will alleviate the squeak longer term.

Now I know what that noise is and where it resides. Ugh, I thought I was going to lose it a couple times.
Thanks, as always for sharing your findings... cb80923 and corradoMR2
Old 05-12-15, 07:50 AM
Ngkeith18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ngkeith18
I had that sound too!! All the way in Singapore. I shall try it again out later
And the armrest trick works!!! Thanks!!
Old 05-12-15, 08:04 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marlon177
It's the turbo
Old 05-12-15, 09:15 AM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
It's the turbo
it is not the turbo.

first, that sound comes on with or without the turbo kicks in.
second, this is not the first turbo car we've own (1.8T jetta, 2 1.8T A4, 2.0T GLI, and currently Audi S3, we also have friends that owns MK7 GTI 2.0T, B8.5 2.0T A4, B7 2.0T A4, STI and EVO, none of those turbo sounded like that), unless the turbo in this lexus sounds like that drilling sound every time i visit my dentist.
third, the non F sport NX we test drove prior the purchase and the F sport i test drove few weeks ago do not have the same noise.

if you have the same noise as i posted on youtube, please let me know. thank you in advance.

Last edited by Marlon177; 05-12-15 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-12-15, 09:58 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

it is not the turbo.

first, that sound comes on with or without the turbo kicks in.
second, this is not the first turbo car we've own (1.8T jetta, 2 1.8T A4, 2.0T GLI, and currently Audi S3, we also have friends that owns MK7 GTI 2.0T, B8.5 2.0T A4, B7 2.0T A4, STI and EVO, none of those turbo sounded like that), unless the turbo in this lexus sounds like that drilling sound every time i visit my dentist.
third, the non F sport NX we test drove prior the purchase and the F sport i test drove few weeks ago do not have the same noise.

if you have the same noise as i posted on youtube, please let me know. thank you in advance.
I have the same noise when I start driving from a cold start. It's the turbo or the wastegates. I only hear it when I am lightly accelerating from a cold start. Your video shows it's happening when you are cruising and aren't accelerating. When the gauge is showing 0 or "negative boost" the engine is actually sucking in air to the manifold since it's a natural vacuum. That's probably what the sound is.

Last edited by Rdcrow; 05-12-15 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-12-15, 10:20 AM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

I have the same noise when I start driving from a cold start. It's the turbo or the wastegates. I only hear it when I am lightly accelerating from a cold start. Your video shows it's happening when you are cruising and aren't accelerating. When the gauge is showing 0 or "negative boost" the engine is actually sucking in air to the manifold since it's a natural vacuum. That's probably what the sound is.
first, thank you for your input.

so you only have this same noise from a cold start? this sound present from a cold start or after a 2 hours trip, basically all the time. how loud is yours? ours is pretty loud. we can still hear it with music on, it is extremely annoying.
Old 05-12-15, 10:46 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

first, thank you for your input.

so you only have this same noise from a cold start? this sound present from a cold start or after a 2 hours trip, basically all the time. how loud is yours? ours is pretty loud. we can still hear it with music on, it is extremely annoying.
I can hear it with the radio and climate control on. I've only noticed it when I start driving, it either goes away or gets quieter after the engine heats up to its regular operating temperature.

I'll pay close attention to it on my drive home from work today.
Old 05-12-15, 10:49 AM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

I can hear it with the radio and climate control on. I've only noticed it when I start driving, it either goes away or gets quieter after the engine heats up to its regular operating temperature.

I'll pay close attention to it on my drive home from work today.
thank you.
Old 05-12-15, 03:42 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I watched your posted video on Page 1 of this thread and I definitely don't have that dentist drill sound which is accurate in your description.

To be clear, the up and down sound you hear is done purposely by engaging the throttle and releasing it? What does the boost read when this is going on? And at what speeds?

In short, I would have it checked out.
Old 05-12-15, 04:40 PM
Rdcrow
Driver

I heard the sound during the first couple minutes of driving, when slowly accelerating. I kept an eye on the boost gauge and once I got in to positive boost the sound went away.
Old 05-13-15, 06:07 AM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I watched your posted video on Page 1 of this thread and I definitely don't have that dentist drill sound which is accurate in your description.

To be clear, the up and down sound you hear is done purposely by engaging the throttle and releasing it? What does the boost read when this is going on? And at what speeds?

In short, I would have it checked out.
basically when i press on gas pedal and let go, that sound comes on. any speed. it became harder to hear when it get above 50mph, but it is still there.

I heard the sound during the first couple minutes of driving, when slowly accelerating. I kept an eye on the boost gauge and once I got in to positive boost the sound went away.
my car is definitely acting differently than yours, this sound comes on either i slowly or quickly accelerating. the sound wont go away until my foot off the gas pedal.
Old 05-13-15, 08:17 PM
Gizmo607
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone notice that when turning the steering wheel when reversing out. For example u are reversing out from your driveway and u switch it to drive and turn the steering wheel There is a noise, the noise sounds like a rope is running again something?
Old 05-14-15, 05:50 AM
Ngkeith18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gizmo607
Does anyone notice that when turning the steering wheel when reversing out. For example u are reversing out from your driveway and u switch it to drive and turn the steering wheel There is a noise, the noise sounds like a rope is running again something?
Sorry but I don't get what you mean?
Old 05-14-15, 06:44 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

basically when i press on gas pedal and let go, that sound comes on. any speed. it became harder to hear when it get above 50mph, but it is still there.

my car is definitely acting differently than yours, this sound comes on either i slowly or quickly accelerating. the sound wont go away until my foot off the gas pedal.
Same noise, but different behavior. It hasn't bothered me to go to the dealer about it. I'll bring it up when I take it in for the first service and see what they say about it.

Quick Reply: NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread