Lexus tops Consumer Reports once again

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 05:27 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunebuggy
Btw...
Does anyone else find it strange the Yahoo article bangs on about Tesla being "top", when that only refers to model itself - not the brand?

Surely the bigger story is which brand is the best overall? Lexus isn't even mentioned in the headline.
I noticed the same thing happening with other news outlets, but this time harping about how Buick is on "top", even though it's only in 7th place and Lexus is actually number 1.
Old 02-25-15, 05:54 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
I noticed the same thing happening with other news outlets, but this time harping about how Buick is on "top", even though it's only in 7th place and Lexus is actually number 1.
Yeah, the article is poorly titled. But keep in mind that no US company had cracked the top 10, so for Buick to make the top 10 is a big deal for GM.

However, given how they positioned Scion and Chevrolet, I question Consumer Reports.

I'm sure the recall BS caused a lot of issues for Chevrolet, but when you consider the stupid stupid premise of some of those recalls, its a "blown out of proportion" issue. Heck, there is an existing recall on my camaro that I have no intention to fulfill. That key issue...my knee is NO WHERE near that ignition, and I'm not letting them ruin my flip key and give me a set of keys that look like a 1990 Cavalier.

I'll take my chances
Old 02-26-15, 01:31 AM
dunebuggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IgorUA
I totally agree with old jeeps the quality wasn't something you would expect from a jeep. However, now jeep makes some great cars, well at least they are trying. My father leases a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and i love that damn car. With the NY winter this year i haven't touched a shovel once to try to get out of snow. The car is comfortable, drives great and it looks awesome inside out.
As much as I make fun sometimes, I sincerely hope Jeep is on the improve. In fact, I even hope Land Rover is on the improve.

I noticed this today however - Jeep Wrangler rated by CR as the #1 Worst car you can currently buy.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...r-reports.html
It's interesting to see that the Wrangler Unlimited heads a list where all the others in the top 5 are little cost-cutting hatches.

The Lexus dealer I spoke to recently told me he used to work for Jeep, and that in Australia their marketing is really doing wonders for them. But behind the scenes, he said that when he worked there, the number of cars that arrived with factory-fresh flaws on them, was astonishing. Somewhere between 1 in 5 and 1 in 10 cars, had factory fresh flaws with build, panel fit, paintwork etc etc. These issues had to be rectified before passing the vehicles on to their new owners.

Keep in mind he wasn't trying to convince me to buy a Lexus over Jeep, as I had expressed zero interest in Jeep as an alternative. But he said that in his time at Lexus, selling over 100 cars to date, he had only had one occasion where a car arrived from the factory with a minor flaw.

DB.
Old 02-26-15, 08:35 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dunebuggy
Btw...
Does anyone else find it strange the Yahoo article bangs on about Tesla being "top", when that only refers to model itself - not the brand?

Surely the bigger story is which brand is the best overall? Lexus isn't even mentioned in the headline.
The article probably was not clear (I didn't read it). CR named the Model S as the top overall car for the second straight year. However, they chose not to list Tesla in the brand rankings because they only produce one car right now. Tesla is also click-bait gold, so it makes more sense for them to put it in the title.

Buick was not only the top American brand, but was abnormally high for a US brand. That's why some publications were going on about Buick.