Features that are available on NX internationally but not in US

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 10:20 AM
ghylxdw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Features that are available on NX internationally but not in US

Hi,

I have been looking at the NX 200T F SPORT for a while, but noticed that there are many features available internationally (like in Australia, Japan, Taiwan, even mainland China) but not available in US (even not optionally), I listed some of them as below:

1. Mark Levinson Audio System: This is available in Australia, but not even an option in US.
2. Auto folding side view mirror: As I know this is available in China, but again not an option in US.
3. Heads up display: This is available in many countries, but not an option in US market...

Also another thing I am confused is there are many options I cannot add after adding the F Sport Package, for example:
1. POWER-FOLDING AND RECLINING* REAR SEATS: This is available on 200T, but not available on 200T F SPORT??
2. All features in Luxury package: I cannot add the luxury package after adding the F SPORT package, which means I lose the Rain Sensing Wipers, which is something that should be a must-have for a 50k SUV....

I don't know what Lexus is thinking.... Why removing so many optional feature in the US market? (Even not provided as Optional), and why I must make a choice between the Luxury package and the F sport package? I cannot find any contradiction or conflict between these two packages..

Does anyone know any details about it? Really appreciated since I may hardly buy the NX if it doesn't have the Mark Levinson and even the rain sensing wiper

Thanks,
Chun
Old 02-16-15, 10:29 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ghylxdw
Hi,

I have been looking at the NX 200T F SPORT for a while, but noticed that there are many features available internationally (like in Australia, Japan, Taiwan, even mainland China) but not available in US (even not optionally), I listed some of them as below:

1. Mark Levinson Audio System: This is available in Australia, but not even an option in US.
2. Auto folding side view mirror: As I know this is available in China, but again not an option in US.
3. Heads up display: This is available in many countries, but not an option in US market...

Also another thing I am confused is there are many options I cannot add after adding the F Sport Package, for example:
1. POWER-FOLDING AND RECLINING* REAR SEATS: This is available on 200T, but not available on 200T F SPORT??
2. All features in Luxury package: I cannot add the luxury package after adding the F SPORT package, which means I lose the Rain Sensing Wipers, which is something that should be a must-have for a 50k SUV....

I don't know what Lexus is thinking.... Why removing so many optional feature in the US market? (Even not provided as Optional), and why I must make a choice between the Luxury package and the F sport package? I cannot find any contradiction or conflict between these two packages..

Does anyone know any details about it? Really appreciated since I may hardly buy the NX if it doesn't have the Mark Levinson and even the rain sensing wiper

Thanks,
Chun
Couple things that might make you feel better.

1. Mark Levinson isn't that great. You can do better in the aftermarket world.

2. Auto folding mirrors - While I'm sure this is "helpful" sometimes, your hands are fully functional. Its an extra second, but hardly a deal breaker.

3. Heads up - I'm sure it will be available in a couple of years. So you have an option of buying a new dash (or cutting a hole in your current), and install it yourself. The harness is there to be plugged into, so just need the unit and wiring. This is my plan when the warranty is gone.

4. Autowipers - Maybe I'm in a minority here, but why are these a must for people? Its a lever to your right, that you can decide on the wiper speed and adjust accordingly. Honestly, I think this is one of the dumbest features in a car. My current DD (mazda3) has autosensing, and I don't use it because I find the computer's response to be obnoxious. Furthermore, there are times where it will run the wipes for a couple drops, in which it drags the dirty wiper across the windshield and scratches the windshield.

5. Power folding seats - this does suck.

Last edited by Swacer; 02-16-15 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-16-15, 11:17 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think there was a thread on this subject already, but to add to the list:
1. pano roof
2. different non-F-Sport front - better than US
3. AVS
4. Surround View system

I really like auto-fold mirrors because my wife and I park opposite directions in the garage. Our rear doors often tap the other's mirror when we open them. It's stupid for us to push them in and out all the time if there are cars available that do this automatically.

Lexus is so dominant in the luxury SUV segment in the US, I think they wanted to make sure the NX had excellent reliability ratings and didn't encroach on the RX price point too much here. Things may change once the new RX comes out, we'll see.

Last edited by sg021; 02-16-15 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-16-15, 11:36 AM
ghylxdw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
Couple things that might make you feel better.

1. Mark Levinson isn't that great. You can do better in the aftermarket world.

2. Auto folding mirrors - While I'm sure this is "helpful" sometimes, your hands are fully functional. Its an extra second, but hardly a deal breaker.

3. Heads up - I'm sure it will be available in a couple of years. So you have an option of buying a new dash (or cutting a hole in your current), and install it yourself. The harness is there to be plugged into, so just need the unit and wiring. This is my plan when the warranty is gone.

4. Autowipers - Maybe I'm in a minority here, but why are these a must for people? Its a lever to your right, that you can decide on the wiper speed and adjust accordingly. Honestly, I think this is one of the dumbest features in a car. My current DD (mazda3) has autosensing, and I don't use it because I find the computer's response to be obnoxious. Furthermore, there are times where it will run the wipes for a couple drops, in which it drags the dirty wiper across the windshield and scratches the windshield.

5. Power folding seats - this does suck.
Thank you Swacer, although Mark Levinson may not be perfect, but it's much better than the current system on NX, hmm, so for aftermarket sound system, does it mean I will lose my warranty?

For rain sensing wipers, since I live in Seattle and it's raining all the time, so an auto rain sensing wiper is pretty helpful.

The other features are definitely not deal breaker, but, just feel uncomfortable why these features are available at most non-US markets

Thanks!
Old 02-16-15, 11:43 AM
ghylxdw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sg021
I think there was a thread on this subject already, but to add to the list:
1. pano roof
2. different (ugly) non-F-Sport front.
3. AVS
4. Surround View system

I really like auto-fold mirrors because my wife and I park opposite directions in the garage. Our rear doors often tap the other's mirror when we open them. It's stupid for us to push them in and out all the time if there are cars available that do this automatically.

Lexus is so dominant in the luxury SUV segment in the US, I think they wanted to make sure the NX had excellent reliability ratings and didn't encroach on the RX price point too much here. Things may change once the new RX comes out, we'll see.
Thank you so much sg for adding to the list! I didn't realize the Surround View System and pano roof are also available outside of US/N.A, that's truly absurd!

So wait for the new RX to come out then! Do you know what's the latest release of the RX? Will there be a release of the new version of RX in 2016? Or this year?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-15, 12:02 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you Swacer, although Mark Levinson may not be perfect, but it's much better than the current system on NX, hmm, so for aftermarket sound system, does it mean I will lose my warranty?

For rain sensing wipers, since I live in Seattle and it's raining all the time, so an auto rain sensing wiper is pretty helpful.

The other features are definitely not deal breaker, but, just feel uncomfortable why these features are available at most non-US markets

Thanks!
Changing out speakers will not impact a warranty.

It concerns me how car companies have scared people into "losing their warranty" by changing anything from factory. The Magnusson Moss Act is a federal law that states that a car company can not void your warranty unless they can provide proof that the mod caused the issue. I have used my warranty for various things, and if you look at my signature, I change parts of my camaro often. Thus, for example, if your heater fails, they can not say "well, your speakers did it". No, those two have nothing to do with each other, and they will warranty your heater.

If you change your speakers, there is nothing that will be voided, just make sure you make sure your amp is providing enough power. If its not, don't be afraid to upgrade that as well. Keep in mind though, as your amp draws more, you may need to look into a stronger upper pulley to keep the alternator charging the battery. however, that should only become an issue with a large system (which I get the feeling youre not interested in)

And I understand you live in Seattle (hope to go there in the next year or so), but you can just as easily flip the switch on the right hand side of yoru steering wheels and save the money of a computer doing it! Money saved in one place always you to spend it somewhere else!

i agree its dumb they leave them out, but that decision was made by someone making more money than most of us haha.
Old 02-16-15, 12:04 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Thank you so much sg for adding to the list! I didn't realize the Surround View System and pano roof are also available outside of US/N.A, that's truly absurd!

So wait for the new RX to come out then! Do you know what's the latest release of the RX? Will there be a release of the new version of RX in 2016? Or this year?

Thanks!
You could wait another 6 months or so and see if the 2016 NX will add anything, but there's no guarantees. It's hard to decide when to take the plunge as new features are being added to cars every year. You also have to ask yourself if you are really going to be willing to pay for these extras anyway.

The new RX is being revealed at the NY Auto show in April (supposedly), and will go on sale in 2015 as a 2016 Model Year car (supposedly).
Old 02-16-15, 12:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Many, if not all, of these missing features can easily be added to NX's sold in the US at the mid-cycle refresh, but that's probably three years off. I agree that all of the ones listed here are pretty much expected these days on a certain level of vehicle. I'm sure the Lexus division considered them but as mentioned the decisions were made by people above our pay level.
Old 02-16-15, 12:54 PM
wildeklave
Pole Position

I am surprised that Lexus doesn't offer the Executive trim in the US. I understand keeping the price down but that is what the Base and Premium trims are for. Features like HUD and power folding mirrors are true nice to haves. If you are trying to win customers from Audi, BMW, and Mercedes you have to make sure that you can match features. I don't believe the 2016 Acura RDX will have these features either.

As for the 2016 NX, I doubt there will be major changes. My guess is they will include these features in the RX and then roll them down to the NX. Since the RX is being shown at the NY auto show (this is when the NX was shown last year) my guess is the RX comes out in August. This is about the same time the 2016 NX will be released (international release of the 2015 was last summer). What they may do is have a short 2016 cycle with no changes from the summer to spring of 2016 where they may release a 2017 version with improvements.
Old 02-16-15, 01:15 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wildeklave
I am surprised that Lexus doesn't offer the Executive trim in the US. I understand keeping the price down but that is what the Base and Premium trims are for. Features like HUD and power folding mirrors are true nice to haves. If you are trying to win customers from Audi, BMW, and Mercedes you have to make sure that you can match features. I don't believe the 2016 Acura RDX will have these features either.

As for the 2016 NX, I doubt there will be major changes. My guess is they will include these features in the RX and then roll them down to the NX. Since the RX is being shown at the NY auto show (this is when the NX was shown last year) my guess is the RX comes out in August. This is about the same time the 2016 NX will be released (international release of the 2015 was last summer). What they may do is have a short 2016 cycle with no changes from the summer to spring of 2016 where they may release a 2017 version with improvements.
Winning over customers from the german companies can be as easy as saying "HEY! Look! Our cars last more than 3 years without costing you and arm and leg to maintain!" Done.

Acura is going to have to continue to compete with that ugly beak. I think the only competition for the NX is the RX.
Old 02-16-15, 01:37 PM
dunebuggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I have been looking at the NX 200T F SPORT for a while, but noticed that there are many features available internationally (like in Australia, Japan, Taiwan, even mainland China) but not available in US (even not optionally
Regarding features in Australia, well, I genuinely feel for you guys in the US. But then, the car does cost more here in Australia, relative to currency. So we get more stuff as standard.

To me, by far the biggest thing US buyers are missing out on is the:
- "Sport S+" driving mode and AVS, in the F-Sport models.

Some reviews have decried the US F-Sport as not being a "true" Lexus F-Sport without it.

What's more, because everyone in the world tends to read reviews on the internet and assume the car is basically the same everywhere, I fear some overseas buyers will read US reviews (which will in some cases down-rate the car based on having no Sport S+ and AVS) and not realize the review is unfair (based on the NX they would buy in their own country).

So it was really silly of Lexus/USA/Obama whoever () not to keep the F-Sport the same.

Also note that if you compare the fastest, top-line luxury compact SUVs in the class, with the NX. So...
- Porsche Macan
- Audi SQ5
- BMW X4
- Lexus NX F-Sport

The NX F-Sport (outside US) and the Macan are the only ones with AVS.
So it is cool feature to have.
As I mentioned in another thread, the 0-100 times of these 4 cars are:

- Porsche Macan 6.3 seconds
- Audi SQ5 5.7 seconds
- BMW X4 6.0 seconds
- Lexus NX F-Sport 6.9 seconds

But the NX time comes from an F-Sport tested by caranddriver.com (all the others are from drive.com.au). So I assume that was without Sports S + and AVS. Who knows, there might even be another 0.1 in there if you cane it, and websites like torquenews have speculated about "mid-high 6s" (I'd have to find the quote).

The other thing to consider is that all the other 3 have bigger engines, and cost at least $20,000 more in Australia. You'll pay $20,000 more for a car that's only about a half to 1 second quicker, and does not have Lexus reliability.

Excuse me for just a moment.

In terms of features not available in Australia, well the only thing we absolutely cannot upgrade to, beg for, borrow or steal is:
- Panoramic roof

Go figure. We do have a moon roof option. But I didn't get it on mine as, after having Toyota moonroofs for the past decade, I think I've used them exactly 5 times. They are impeccable though and never leak, unlike others.

DB.

Last edited by dunebuggy; 02-16-15 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 01:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Winning over customers from the german companies can be as easy as saying "HEY! Look! Our cars last more than 3 years without costing you and arm and leg to maintain!" Done.

Acura is going to have to continue to compete with that ugly beak. I think the only competition for the NX is the RX.
The NX and RX will certainly compete with each other but there is no denying that the NX, RDX (currently the best seller in the segment), Q5, X3, GLK, MKC will all be competing for buyers. This segment is hot and very competitive. It's good for the consumer.
Old 02-16-15, 05:04 PM
ghylxdw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dunebuggy
Regarding features in Australia, well, I genuinely feel for you guys in the US. But then, the car does cost more here in Australia, relative to currency. So we get more stuff as standard.

To me, by far the biggest thing US buyers are missing out on is the:
- "Sport S+" driving mode and AVS, in the F-Sport models.

Some reviews have decried the US F-Sport as not being a "true" Lexus F-Sport without it.

What's more, because everyone in the world tends to read reviews on the internet and assume the car is basically the same everywhere, I fear some overseas buyers will read US reviews (which will in some cases down-rate the car based on having no Sport S+ and AVS) and not realize the review is unfair (based on the NX they would buy in their own country).

So it was really silly of Lexus/USA/Obama whoever () not to keep the F-Sport the same.

Also note that if you compare the fastest, top-line luxury compact SUVs in the class, with the NX. So...
- Porsche Macan
- Audi SQ5
- BMW X4
- Lexus NX F-Sport

- Audi SQ5 5.7 seconds
- BMW X4 6.0 seconds

But the NX time comes from an F-Sport tested by caranddriver.com (all the others are from drive.com.au). So I assume that was without Sports S + and AVS. Who knows, there might even be another 0.1 in there if you cane it, and websites like torquenews have speculated about "mid-high 6s" (I'd have to find the quote).

The other thing to consider is that all the other 3 have bigger engines, and cost at least $20,000 more in Australia. You'll pay $20,000 more for a car that's only about a half to 1 second quicker, and does not have Lexus reliability.

Excuse me for just a moment.

In terms of features not available in Australia, well the only thing we absolutely cannot upgrade to, beg for, borrow or steal is:
- Panoramic roof

Go figure. We do have a moon roof option. But I didn't get it on mine as, after having Toyota moonroofs for the past decade, I think I've used them exactly 5 times. They are impeccable though and never leak, unlike others.

DB.
Hi dunebuggy,

Thank you so much for the detailed information from Australia

Yeah I understand these features will cost me more money, but what I don't understand is why Lexus doesn't put them as options, rather than making them unavailable in US

By the way, can you have both F sport and luxury package in Australia? (It's impossible to have both features from F Sport package and luxury package here in US, which is something I don't understand either)

One more question, what's the driving experience with the AVS? Is it significantly helpful?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-15, 05:13 PM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more question, what's the driving experience with the AVS? Is it significantly helpful?

Thanks!
I can tell you for the little over 2 weeks that I've had it, the AVS makes a big difference when driving in "Sport +" mode. Minimizes body roll on cornering, stiffer suspension when needed (on road imperfections). In the end, it makes the F Sport that much more fun to drive...and in Montreal there are a lot of imperfections on the roads.

Last edited by Pesttt; 02-16-15 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 06:14 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dunebuggy

- Audi SQ5 5.7 seconds
- BMW X4 6.0 seconds

DB.
It is interesting to see how cars are positioned differently in different markets. We don't have diesel options on the Macan and SQ5 yet as that fuel is only starting to become popular on mainstream vehicles here.

Here an SQ5 or Macan S gas version with much better options than a "loaded" NX200t AWD F-Sport would be about $20k more. These are both a hair over 5 secs to 100km, though. The X4 I'm not as familiar with, but it is listed at 5.2 0-60 mph for the larger engine. Lexus doesn't have an engine upgrade on their SUVs, so in that aspect they lag the other brands here.

Porsche also tends to score well in reliability, which I think is pretty commendable given the type of vehicles they make.

Last edited by sg021; 02-16-15 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Features that are available on NX internationally but not in US