NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official NX Roof Rack Options (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 10:23 PM
debosteebo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there any drilling involved? are the bars easily removable without tools?
Old 03-12-15, 11:13 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

When I purchased my 2002 RAV4, I would hear a whining noise when driving at speed. The Toyota techs weren't helpful. Finally figured it out that the cross bars (they had an arrow on them that was supposed to point forwards) were installed backwards. Once I flipped them, no more noise.

I'm hoping for aftermarket cross bars that look a little more curved at the sides versus the Lexus cross bars.

Originally Posted by philwojo
I just put mine on for the first time last night, so I could bring home a new kayak from Costco!

The initial install took my about 20-30 minutes, but I was taking my time and I probably could have done it quicker if I knew what I was doing before hand.

Now that I know how they go on and off it takes about 3 minutes to do it.

I will say this though, and I don't have a picture of it yet, but there is a right way and wrong way to put them on, they are not 100% reversible. By this I mean that you can use either bar front or back, that isn't an issue, but there is a passenger side and drivers side to the bars and they do have to go on correctly. There are stickers on the cross bars under the locking caps that show you, but I overlooked them at first. But now that I know it is easy enough to see it and do it right the first time.

As for them being like the Thule Whispbars I have not seen those in person, but from what I can tell on google images it appears they are similar. These are basically flat from Lexus and are kind of like an airplane wing, though not exactly like that if we are being sticklers.

Phil
Old 03-13-15, 07:26 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by debosteebo
is there any drilling involved? are the bars easily removable without tools?
No drilling no tools really required. There are 4 strips of plastic to put on the roof rails to go over the rails near the holes on the front (3 holes) and rear (2 holes) so you don't scratch up the rails when putting on the cross bars.

For the cross bars themselves you have to put on the rubber non-slip strip on the top, very easy and then there is an opening on the bottom I didn't put those in yet as you have to measure and cut them and I didn't have time to do that the other night. I think that is just to keep water and dirt out, they are on the bottom of the cross bars.

Other than that they just have basically a giant wing nut/bolt in them under the locking cover. You loosen that up and then fit them in place. The holes (dimples) on the inside of the roof rails match-up to pins on the cross-bars. You only have 2 pins on each cross bar (per side) and you use the 2 rear holes on the front area that has 3 holes on the roof rails. Just fit them in place, make sure that the front and rear parts are catching over the roof rails from the cross bar and tighten down the large plastic wing nut/bolt until it clicks on each side. Then drop the cover down and lock it and you are good to go.

Probably takes me longer to type this up than to do it now.

Phil
Old 04-06-15, 07:12 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Default Pics of our NX with the roof racks being put to work!

Just thought I would post a few pictures that I took quickly of our NX with the roof racks being put to work. Brought home a new kayak the other night and here is what it looked like. It was getting late so the pictures aren't great as it was pretty dark out already. Just thought I would share so others can see what it looks like for themselves. This is a 10ft long kayak that is on top.

Oh, and in the 2nd pictures you can also just make out the Curt 13149 hitch that I put on as well. I forgot to take pictures of just the hitch to be honest.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 04-06-15, 08:01 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

sorry, but I had an evil thought "what if he forgot and just drove into the garage..."

certainly must have been an eye catcher as you were driving home
Old 04-06-15, 11:25 AM
caruhgah
Driver School Candidate

Nice, thanks for the pics. My dealer does not have the racks in stock until July. I'm not sure I'm convinced about the look and if I should get them. I would use the racks only occasionally but they seem a little overbearing...?

How do you like the look when not in use, Phil?
Old 04-06-15, 12:18 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

I don't keep them on when not in use to be honest. They go on and off in less than 5 minutes. The only downside to that is having to store them in the garage, but I have a place for that so not a big deal.

If I had my choice I wouldn't keep them on as I don't like the look of them all that much, though I don't hate it either.

Here is a link to pics I took while at the Chicago Auto Show of an NX with roof racks on as well:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8919282

Phil
Old 04-06-15, 01:32 PM
joeyd27
Driver School Candidate

I have a Matador Red Mica 200t and the same kayak! I don't have the rack yet but am getting it beforelong. I was wondering how hard it was to take the rack on and off. The vehicle looks way better without the racks and I will not be leaving them on. I'll just install them for each beach/kayak trip. Your gonna love that kayak! good choice!
Old 04-06-15, 01:37 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

After the initial install of the roof racks it has gotten super easy to take them on and off. I even leave the J-Racks for the kayaks on the cross bars now. It takes me less than 5 minutes to put them on or take them off.

During the initial install you have to put on 4 pieces of plastic over the holes on the roof rails, it is just to prevent any scratching while you line up the cross-bars with the holes in the roof rails to put them on.

After that you just crank down a wing nut under the outer locking covers until they click, starting with the passenger side.

One note though, there is a right way and wrong way to put on the cross bars, there are pictures under the locking covers showing you the correct position for them, front and rear and passenger and drivers side locations. Again, really super easy once you see it and know about it.

We are just getting in to kayaking, so that is brand new from REI, and my wife has one from Costco, way cheaper, but harder to find spray skirts and stuff for hers since the cockpit is so wide.

We are looking forward to the weather warming up and getting to use them though.

Phil
Old 04-06-15, 06:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Nice pics. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-06-15, 06:41 PM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by philwojo
Just thought I would post a few pictures that I took quickly of our NX with the roof racks being put to work. Brought home a new kayak the other night and here is what it looked like. It was getting late so the pictures aren't great as it was pretty dark out already. Just thought I would share so others can see what it looks like for themselves. This is a 10ft long kayak that is on top.

Oh, and in the 2nd pictures you can also just make out the Curt 13149 hitch that I put on as well. I forgot to take pictures of just the hitch to be honest.

Thanks,
Phil
Thank you for sharing the pictures and info!

The Mrs and I were also looking into roof rack, and tow hitch to haul a small boat, and paddle boards/skis.
Also happy to hear its not complicated or time consuming to attach/remove.
Old 04-07-15, 07:08 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Kelmin, the roof racks are super easy, as I stated above. And the Curt 13149 hitch is really easy to put on as well, and there is another thread on here about that already. But, with the Curt, keep in mind that does not have any wiring with it, it is just the hitch. You can get wiring, but I have no idea how easy or hard that is to do.

Phil
Old 04-12-15, 04:31 PM
francoisb
Driver School Candidate

Not a great pic but here you go, this time hauling my MTB for the first ride of the season. Kayak carrier not installed yet, but this NX will also haul two touring kayaks, road bikes, skis et all...

BTW, had to drive to Buffalo, NY, to pick up a set of cross bars, they are not available in Canada yet, which is strange for this kind of vehicle.

Cheers.

Old 04-13-15, 06:49 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Thanks for posting francoisb, love the pic and the other uses for the cross-bars!!

Would love to see a pic when you put the kayaks up as well. We are totally new to that sport. What mount do you have for the kayaks?

Phil
Old 04-13-15, 09:15 AM
francoisb
Driver School Candidate

I use the Yakima Big Stack for now, but I'm thinking of getting the cradle type carriers from Thule once they come up with wider bars for the NX. The factory bars are very narrow, trying to put bikes and kayaks at the same time will be a challenge this summer..

I'll try to put up a few pictures when we take the kayaks out.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Official NX Roof Rack Options (Merged Threads)