NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official NX Roof Rack Options (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 09:08 PM
rwong8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the thule aeroblade bars and not the edges? tried googling and haven't seen anything yet.

Last edited by rwong8; 05-24-16 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 04:40 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

I went to my deanship for my free car wash and the had the OEMs one on display. How much are they in the US?

Here it's only $320 which I thought was pretty cheap.

Old 06-06-16, 06:45 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Installed Thule AeroBlades ARB47 over the weekend with the Rapid Poduim 460R. Took advantage of the Sports Chalet closeouts and REI discounts/dividends and pretty much paid 300$ on a $600 retail kit. Only qualm was the KIT4060 that was required to mount the Rapid Poduim onto the rails; they came with only 4 screws when you need 8. Thule customer service is terrible and I waited 3 days for a response, I ended up going to Lowe's to get 4 M6x1.0mm x 30mm for $5. Next up would be either the Sidearm or Paceline (for road bikes). <br > <br > <br >
Old 07-06-16, 11:37 PM
Phun4GS
Driver School Candidate

Default Yakima Skybox 16

Here is my attempt at estimating if a Yakima Skybox 16 would fit on an NX. Blue line is the closed rear door. Red line is the estimated open door position. I think it should fit. Yakima site has the Skybox 16 as a fit for the NX. Everything is drawn to scale based on NX and Skybox dimensions.

Old 07-07-16, 07:48 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

you can adjust the rear door open height so it doesn't open that high (you need a power rear door though)
Old 11-13-16, 07:47 PM
Red Square
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed the Thule 7601 and 7602 Aeroblades. They are low profile and set close to the sunroof when open. Here are my setting position just so you guy know what to expect. Less than 1/2 inch clearance when open.

Name:  DSC_0982.jpg
Views: 4164
Size:  194.3 KB
Name:  DSC_0981.jpg
Views: 4174
Size:  206.0 KB
Old 11-14-16, 04:46 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

can you post some pics from a distance too?
Old 11-14-16, 05:30 PM
LNXT200
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like it looks good, Red
Old 11-14-16, 08:13 PM
Red Square
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
can you post some pics from a distance too?

Ok I'll post some more pics later. Also In the first picture, if you zoom on the inner stock rail there are 3 notches. The footing is near the second notch, to give you a proximity where I mounted it.

Last edited by Red Square; 11-14-16 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-15-16, 02:11 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Here are some shots from further away. I have the Thule Aeroblade ARB47's and Rapid Podium 460R.

The following users liked this post:
tishy (08-03-23)
Old 01-22-17, 11:06 AM
mjfavs
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,

I have a 2017 NX200T, and chose to install the OEM cross bars myself. I have 3 questions:

1. The rubber stripping you install into the top slits of the bars does not seem to be centered. Does it matter whether the stripping is aligned towards the front of the vehicle or to the rear of the vehicle?
2. Step 5 of the installation manual states "measure the four openings under the cross bars where the end cap meets the side rails...cut 4 pieces of trim 1mm shorter than the measured gap and install them into the openings." Is this step necessary? It appeared my bars already had this gap filled in.
3. Did anyone else have trouble tightening all ***** to 'click'? I got 1 side of both the front and the bank to 'click', but the remaining side for each was physically impossible, the dials simply stopped turning, and I never got a click on the second sides.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-17, 05:19 PM
LNXT200
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mjfavs
Hi all,

I have a 2017 NX200T, and chose to install the OEM cross bars myself. I have 3 questions:

1. The rubber stripping you install into the top slits of the bars does not seem to be centered. Does it matter whether the stripping is aligned towards the front of the vehicle or to the rear of the vehicle?
2. Step 5 of the installation manual states "measure the four openings under the cross bars where the end cap meets the side rails...cut 4 pieces of trim 1mm shorter than the measured gap and install them into the openings." Is this step necessary? It appeared my bars already had this gap filled in.
3. Did anyone else have trouble tightening all ***** to 'click'? I got 1 side of both the front and the bank to 'click', but the remaining side for each was physically impossible, the dials simply stopped turning, and I never got a click on the second sides.

Thanks!
1.I don't think it will matter where it points, no issue centering the rubber strip.
2.I'm pretty sure I didn't measure anything. don't remember reading that part.
3.Nope it worked fine. Mine clicked 4x.

Install was smooth and easy.
Old 01-23-17, 08:19 AM
mjfavs
Driver School Candidate

1. Went back out and checked, the rubber stripping is located closer to the front of each bar, but also checked the graphics on the side of the bars. There are arrows which clearly point to which side of the car and location that specific point belongs, and I lucked out and had them aligned.
2. I'm hoping this was just a step from previous builds, whereas the newer cross bars already have this slot filled in and completed for you. The instructions I printed were from the 2015 manual.
3. Still no clicks for me. I unwound everything and restarted just to be safe, and no clicks. The dials physically stopped turning, and everything is super tight, but no noise.
Old 02-10-17, 10:21 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Installed a Yakima LoadWarrior last few days ago. Took some time to adjust the load bars to get optimal position and I think I found one that works. I originally had the Thule ARB47 loadbars in the factory positions, but since the roofline of the NX tapers a bit at the basket was sloping down a bit. At this position, the wind noise was extremely loud as well, especially if you cracked the moonroof. I was able to open the sunroof, but it got stuck trying to close because it kept hitting the brackets.

So I moved the entire system much closer to the front of the car, and it solved ALL problems. The basket covers about 75% of the moon roof, which is fine. You hear wind noise if you are listening for it, but with the moonroof closed and music on, the sound almost disappears. Sunroof comes about 1 mm from touching the brackets, but opens and closes with ease. AND the basket is very close to level.

Overall, love the functionality it adds and the look it creates. I can’t comment on the gas mileage loss just yet, but I read that it drops 1-2 MPG. If it’s a problem, I will just remove it, as it has a quick release system built in.

First order of business: Haul the shipping box to the dumpster!
Old 02-10-17, 10:37 AM
datpimp007
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by d8168055
Installed a Yakima LoadWarrior last few days ago. Took some time to adjust the load bars to get optimal position and I think I found one that works. I originally had the Thule ARB47 loadbars in the factory positions, but since the roofline of the NX tapers a bit at the basket was sloping down a bit. At this position, the wind noise was extremely loud as well, especially if you cracked the moonroof. I was able to open the sunroof, but it got stuck trying to close because it kept hitting the brackets.

So I moved the entire system much closer to the front of the car, and it solved ALL problems. The basket covers about 75% of the moon roof, which is fine. You hear wind noise if you are listening for it, but with the moonroof closed and music on, the sound almost disappears. Sunroof comes about 1 mm from touching the brackets, but opens and closes with ease. AND the basket is very close to level.

Overall, love the functionality it adds and the look it creates. I can’t comment on the gas mileage loss just yet, but I read that it drops 1-2 MPG. If it’s a problem, I will just remove it, as it has a quick release system built in.

First order of business: Haul the shipping box to the dumpster!
Looks good! Out of curiosity, with the space of a mini-SUV compared to a our 4-passenger car, is the roof rack more for aesthetics or function? I have the bike rack and I honestly find myself putting the bike in the rear cargo space versus up top. Was also thinking of getting the Thule Trail Roof Rack but who am I kidding. I just like the look of it and don't see myself ever hauling items up top.

Quick Reply: Official NX Roof Rack Options (Merged Threads)