NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Test drive NX 3 times, cannot decide, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-15, 05:02 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
turbo lag is what you are feeling. Torque won't kick in until it builds some revs
I don't think it's turbo lag, it's just lack of power.

CT200H does the same thing.
Old 01-30-15, 07:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Takeoff is not as snappy as the RX and especially my IS 250. Part of it is due to the fact that it's a 2.0L 4 cyl, small turbo lag and other is the tranny gearing is how it feels to me, but once you give it more throttle and the turbo kicks in, it's faster than both.
Old 02-02-15, 10:17 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We looked at the NX and test drove it. Then we looked at Acura and Honda. My wife ended up choosing the Touring model of the Honda CR-V, which has every technology upgrade available, including the radar tracking on the freeway to allow pacing behind another car. For comparable options, the NX would cost $15K more. The Touring model has upgraded seating and lots of good stuff. The NX has more power, though, but is probably heavier. $15k pays for about 225,000 miles worth of gas
I already have a gs350, so it should work out fine.
Old 02-04-15, 04:40 AM
hoonie74
Driver School Candidate

Default thx 4 the info.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
turbo lag is what you are feeling. Torque wont kick in until it builds some revs
I hated the feeling of hesitation when try to start with full acceleration. I felt a moment of pause, then kicks in. Now I know that it is a turbo lag, however what do I do if I need my car to respond quickly for instance, I need to make a left turn and the car is coming at me. I happen to find many instances that I need a quick response from a car but because of that turbo lag, I almost got hit by a car coming from the opposite.
Old 02-04-15, 05:27 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonie74
I hated the feeling of hesitation when try to start with full acceleration. I felt a moment of pause, then kicks in. Now I know that it is a turbo lag, however what do I do if I need my car to respond quickly for instance, I need to make a left turn and the car is coming at me. I happen to find many instances that I need a quick response from a car but because of that turbo lag, I almost got hit by a car coming from the opposite.
You are acting like the boost lag is several seconds. if you put your foot down, the lag is a split second.
Old 02-04-15, 06:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonie74
It sounds like a turbocharged vehicle may not be for you. In certain instanes they do feel dfferent.
Old 02-04-15, 10:20 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

I have an Audi SQ5 and absolutely love it. It is actually much more sportier than our GS-350 F-Sport. However, for long road trips, there is no beating the comfort of the Lexus.
Old 02-05-15, 06:22 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a RX300, the turbo lag takes a little to get used to in city driving. The turbo shines on the highway though. It's fun being able to press the gas and zip right by other cars.
Old 02-05-15, 08:01 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I still don't think turbo lag is the main culprit here. I've test driven a bunch of similar sized and designed turbos and they are much more responsive off the line. Even my nearly 10 year old VW turbo gets moving better.

Just in general the type of turbo in the NX shouldn't have a lot of lag, and when you switch to sport mode it improves the problem. I really think it is an intentional design in the transmission to make the acceleration very smooth. Local sales manager thought the same, assuming he wasn't just being agreeable with me.
Old 02-05-15, 12:43 PM
leej865
Driver

This is good to know about the off the line acceleration. I have not driven the NX yet, but from these descriptions, I can tell you that I will not appreciate the hesitation since 95% of my driving is in the city...and getting off the line quickly is important the way a lot of these traffic lights are timed. I will test drive to be sure, but this does not sound promising.
Old 02-05-15, 01:14 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sg021
I still don't think turbo lag is the main culprit here. I've test driven a bunch of similar sized and designed turbos and they are much more responsive off the line. Even my nearly 10 year old VW turbo gets moving better.

Just in general the type of turbo in the NX shouldn't have a lot of lag, and when you switch to sport mode it improves the problem. I really think it is an intentional design in the transmission to make the acceleration very smooth. Local sales manager thought the same, assuming he wasn't just being agreeable with me.
I'd tend to agree, I think the lag is a design feature (flaw) as I've experienced it in my car as well. Nonetheless I'm a big fan of the NX. I've heard that the BMWs have even more lag, and it's designed that way to improve fuel economy.

To the OP, if you have to test drive a car 3 times and you still aren't sure, it's probably not the one for you.
Old 02-06-15, 12:37 PM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
To the OP, if you have to test drive a car 3 times and you still aren't sure, it's probably not the one for you.
Exactly. It's not as if you don't have any other choices in this segment. There are also some newer launches in compact premium SUV due this year. We get that you love the NX styling. But you are the customer and you have the money. So you decide when and where to spend it. Yes money is the king. But once you hand it over to Lexus, Lexus becomes the king and you become his slave .