Upgrading Speakers in NX

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 12:23 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinhead
Hi fellow NX owners,

Im planning to upgrade the speakers for my car. This is by far the worst sound system of any car I've owned and there is no Mark Levinson option available sadly. I have done some research but I've never DIY speakers before and I usually like to DIY myself but not sure how to tackle this. It seems Focal makes some factory replacement speakers for our cars, but reading some previous comments some say without a DSP (digital sound processor?) and an amplifier, changing speakers won't improve sound? My main issue with the factory premium 10-speaker system is clarity. I listen to mostly classical and some jazz so I don't really need much bass but the vocals just seem so....crap. Listening to Adele's new album was..painful in the NX compared to my other cars.

I am interested in Focals because I love their bright sound.

Anyone have any input? Will changing the 4 tweeters and 4 low frequency woofers in the doors improve clarity?
Im not looking for sound that matches the Burmeister in my Porsche or the BMW Individual in my M3, but just some improvement, cuz this is seriously some crap system. Just looking for improvement in clarity, don't really need any more bass.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thank you.
i seriously dont think the factory system is that bad. i added a sub, set the treb +2, mid flat and bass -2 and it sounds clean and clear. i have a 15k system in my gs and won many competition and it sounds only a little better. i also have a 50k home hifi system, so i know my sound.
The following users liked this post:
TXLexusNX (07-31-23)
Old 11-23-15, 12:40 AM
ramses974
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rozay604
i seriously dont think the factory system is that bad. i added a sub, set the treb +2, mid flat and bass -2 and it sounds clean and clear. i have a 15k system in my gs and won many competition and it sounds only a little better. i also have a 50k home hifi system, so i know my sound.
some people do not have the same opinion about clarity,
when i was with my 802 B&W i thought it was clean and clear ,...
after listening an old Fred (Quad ESL 63 pro) and some Apogee,my 802 now appears to me not so clean and clear ...Some peopel when talking about clarity is close to a bright sound ...
Old 11-23-15, 01:09 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ramses974
some people do not have the same opinion about clarity,
when i was with my 802 B&W i thought it was clean and clear ,...
after listening an old Fred (Quad ESL 63 pro) and some Apogee,my 802 now appears to me not so clean and clear ...Some peopel when talking about clarity is close to a bright sound ...
Sorry but to me b&w don't sound good. He wants the focal sound I get it but my theory the 10 speaker premium isn't a bad system. I had is350 with mark levinson for a loaner on the weekend and to me it ain't any better. If someone jus try and add a sub to the nx. I promise it's a night and day difference. Overall sound will be better. As for u, your doing it right, dsp and all the other goods. Most ppl don't even have a clue on how to tune the dsp. So that's my 2 cent
Old 11-23-15, 01:15 AM
ramses974
Pit Crew

Sorry but to me b&w don't sound good. He wants the focal sound I get it but my theory the 10 speaker premium isn't a bad system. I had is350 with mark levinson for a loaner on the weekend and to me it ain't any better. If someone jus try and add a sub to the nx. I promise it's a night and day difference. Overall sound will be better. As for u, your doing it right, dsp and all the other goods. Most ppl don't even have a clue on how to tune the dsp. So that's my 2 cent
You could be right as you do not like the b&w sound , but this british sound was a god for me for 2 decades , and after that i switched to electrostatic speakers and i learnt really about clean,clearity and depth.
Now i do not own any B&w speakers , i all sold them i am with the Quad,apogee and Klipsch (rf 7 II) .For me now, B&w is overpriced for what they are...

I have already eard the Macan Burmester , and yes i can understand why he think that the LExus does not sound very right , Burmeister adds a lot of Sound field processor (dsp style) with Rear effect (like a strange PRologic II) and at first listening it can surprise us
Old 11-23-15, 01:42 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

I won't doubt that I lack experience in this department. My only experience with car audio has been factory system. I had the individual audio (BMW's factory upgrade option) in my M3 and Burmeisters in my Cayanne and I love how they sound. The vocals sound really crisp and clear without tweaking with any settings. The lexus, just sounds really unclear to me. The only aftermarket I have had extensive listening in is the Focal K2P in my cousins car and I love how those sound.

Ramses could be correct. I really am going by my limited experience but even then I think the lexus is just...so trash
I had the focal k2p in my Mazda beater and it's nice as long as u don't face the tweeter towards u. By the way focal now has speakers that are direct bolt on to factory Toyota systems. U might want to take a look at that.
Old 11-23-15, 01:48 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ramses974
You could be right as you do not like the b&w sound , but this british sound was a god for me for 2 decades , and after that i switched to electrostatic speakers and i learnt really about clean,clearity and depth.
Now i do not own any B&w speakers , i all sold them i am with the Quad,apogee and Klipsch (rf 7 II) .For me now, B&w is overpriced for what they are...

I have already eard the Macan Burmester , and yes i can understand why he think that the LExus does not sound very right , Burmeister adds a lot of Sound field processor (dsp style) with Rear effect (like a strange PRologic II) and at first listening it can surprise us
I love British made speakers like proac, monitor audio. Those are great brands. Quad and harbeth are great too. I heard the Macan burmester it sounds great. Can't wait until u finish your install I wanna see. I jus finish my trunk in my GS.
Old 11-23-15, 02:12 AM
ramses974
Pit Crew

I did, and it was what I was planning to do (IS165 TOY) but Ramses mentioned that it does not have a mid-range. I thought it was perfect because it seemed to be more plug & play than other stuff (meaning I don't have to buy a bracket, maybe only have to do some wiring).
what i want to say , is that the mid-range problem can appear with the distance of the woofer and the tweeter . IF they were close , there will not be a problem ...
Old 11-23-15, 02:13 AM
ramses974
Pit Crew

I love British made speakers like proac, monitor audio. Those are great brands. Quad and harbeth are great too. I heard the Macan burmester it sounds great. Can't wait until u finish your install I wanna see. I jus finish my trunk in my GS.

will you do a thread ?
Old 11-23-15, 03:52 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

I did, and it was what I was planning to do (IS165 TOY) but Ramses mentioned that it does not have a mid-range. I thought it was perfect because it seemed to be more plug & play than other stuff (meaning I don't have to buy a bracket, maybe only have to do some wiring).
If u don't care bout imaging. The focal Toyota bolt on will go loud and bright. Plus if u seal off the doors using focal bam sound deadner it will help your mid bass a lot. Also I use to own a Benz 2015 ml 350 with the hk logic 7 system and I found it very clear and nice vocals but lack on the loudness. Same goes for the bmw 5 series I had with the logic 7. Jus not loud.

Last edited by Rozay604; 11-23-15 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-31-15, 11:51 PM
Shatty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading thru the whole tread, I am now convinced that I need a DSP to upgrade the 10 speaker system in my FSport. I honestly think the radio isnt that bad. I think the clarity is ok but the system is very loud. I dont like that the sub kicks out when its turned up. I was thinking about just replacing the speakers with an amp, but it looks like I would need a DSP as well. I want to utilize the surround sound features of the HU also. I was looking at the Helix DSP Pro. What do you guys think? Its a little pricey at $1,000 but I guess you get what you pay for. From what I understand the DSP Pro has only 8 inputs and 10 outputs. The NX has 10 speakers, so what should be done? Link the front hi's with the rear hi's and the front mids with the rear mids? And as far as the center channel speaker, what size is it? Thanks in advance
TXLexusNX (07-31-23)
Old 01-01-16, 01:53 AM
ramses974
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Shatty
After reading thru the whole tread, I am now convinced that I need a DSP to upgrade the 10 speaker system in my FSport. I honestly think the radio isnt that bad. I think the clarity is ok but the system is very loud. I dont like that the sub kicks out when its turned up. I was thinking about just replacing the speakers with an amp, but it looks like I would need a DSP as well. I want to utilize the surround sound features of the HU also. I was looking at the Helix DSP Pro. What do you guys think? Its a little pricey at $1,000 but I guess you get what you pay for. From what I understand the DSP Pro has only 8 inputs and 10 outputs. The NX has 10 speakers, so what should be done? Link the front hi's with the rear hi's and the front mids with the rear mids? And as far as the center channel speaker, what size is it? Thanks in advance
Hi,
the Helix DSP PRO is certainly for me the best aftermarket DSP. For the center chanel: litle , it is a 3.5" speaker , you can fit a 4" it will be better

Last edited by ramses974; 06-05-16 at 08:55 PM.
TXLexusNX (07-31-23)
Old 01-03-16, 02:57 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Helix dsp pro as he said. Best dsp in the market right now.
Old 06-05-16, 11:46 AM
francois57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for this great post. I changed the dashboard speakers for Alpine one and was on the way to change the front door speakers.

And then... a shock

Seems the Lexus speaker has a special shape: how did you install standard speakers ?

Thanks for your help!

Francois
Old 06-05-16, 06:24 PM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by francois57
Hi,

Thanks for this great post. I changed the dashboard speakers for Alpine one and was on the way to change the front door speakers.

And then... a shock

Seems the Lexus speaker has a special shape: how did you install standard speakers ?

Thanks for your help!

Francois
U need speaker adapters. Meaning u need someone who is good with wood and make u some or u can use the plastic ones that comes with your alpine speakers.
Old 06-05-16, 08:58 PM
ramses974
Pit Crew

Exactly what Rozay said , u need speaker adapter or do it yourself ...
can we have some pics ?

Quick Reply: Upgrading Speakers in NX