NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

grinding noise when braking?HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 04:24 PM
yzhou24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry grinding noise when braking?HELP!

Hi guys so I just bought my new nx 200t a month ago. Everything started off fine. I liked the car except for one thing: braking noise. Last week I visited my friend and parked my car on a sloped road. I think I didnt hit the brake hard enough when shifting from P to R, and there was a collision sound. Ever since then, I have been hearing grinding noise(not always) whenever I hit brake at low speed. It only happens when I hit it pretty hard tho. I took it to the dealership and got it back today the manager told me this happened on all NX 200t models and they filed a complaint and will work on new pads. I knew it was a lie upfront. But since they told me its good to go, I just drove home. Do you guys think I should take it to independent mechanics to check it out? Will it go away with time?
Thanks!
Old 01-20-15, 04:34 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Hi. Welcome to the forum. I have not experienced the issue you describe. Have they checked out the parking brake? It's a long shot since you mention you only hear the noise on hard braking which leads me to believe the pads/rotors could be the issue...

Post a pic of your NX as pics are always welcome!
Old 01-20-15, 04:36 PM
yzhou24
Driver School Candidate

I will post a picture and thanks for the comment. So I should take it back? But the manager told me it was good. They look like they dont wanna deal with the problem since its within warranty.
Old 01-20-15, 04:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

What would help if possible is a video of the noise if you can upload it to youtube and post the link here.

Also, try another dealer to see if they are more forthcoming. Good luck!
Old 01-20-15, 05:58 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You can sign up at Lexus for their Service Bulletins, Recalls & etc. TIS Technical Information System.

http://techinfo.lexus.com
Old 01-20-15, 06:38 PM
yzhou24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crankshaft
You can sign up at Lexus for their Service Bulletins, Recalls & etc. TIS Technical Information System.

http://techinfo.lexus.com
Ok,can I just go to star or authorized Toyota dealership?
Old 01-21-15, 03:42 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
What would help if possible is a video of the noise if you can upload it to youtube and post the link here.

Also, try another dealer to see if they are more forthcoming. Good luck!
This please^
Old 01-21-15, 10:22 AM
yzhou24
Driver School Candidate

First of all thank you guys for all the help! I went to another dealership today and asked them to check and noise. They let me test drive another new model of NX. it was weird but it made the same noise. So I was pretty sure its a new car/model thing. But thx for all the replies! cheers
Old 01-21-15, 10:32 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please post video to youtube and link to it here if able... I have not had this problem on my new NX.
Old 01-23-15, 10:11 AM
bostonb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yzhou24
Hi guys so I just bought my new nx 200t a month ago. Everything started off fine. I liked the car except for one thing: braking noise. Last week I visited my friend and parked my car on a sloped road. I think I didnt hit the brake hard enough when shifting from P to R, and there was a collision sound. Ever since then, I have been hearing grinding noise(not always) whenever I hit brake at low speed. It only happens when I hit it pretty hard tho. I took it to the dealership and got it back today the manager told me this happened on all NX 200t models and they filed a complaint and will work on new pads. I knew it was a lie upfront. But since they told me its good to go, I just drove home. Do you guys think I should take it to independent mechanics to check it out? Will it go away with time?
Thanks!
I have heard the noise you are talking about on a couple of occasions. Similar to you, it is when I gently apply the brakes. At first, I was concerned because it sounded like when you drive with the emergency brakes on. I also live on a slopy hill and my driveway has a slope so when I drive down, I do have to apply the brakes harder than compared to on a flat road. Anyway, one day, I was in park and figured I would play with the emergency brakes button.. turning it on, off, on, off... etc.. and I have to say, I haven't heard the noise since.
Old 01-23-15, 10:23 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonb
I have heard the noise you are talking about on a couple of occasions. Similar to you, it is when I gently apply the brakes. At first, I was concerned because it sounded like when you drive with the emergency brakes on. I also live on a slopy hill and my driveway has a slope so when I drive down, I do have to apply the brakes harder than compared to on a flat road. Anyway, one day, I was in park and figured I would play with the emergency brakes button.. turning it on, off, on, off... etc.. and I have to say, I haven't heard the noise since.
Two things come to mind. 1, do you hear the sound after it has rained or severe moisture? Your rotors will rust over and your pads will clean it off after the first brake application.

Second thought is your parking brake is sticking in the cold weather. On severely cold days, do not leave your parking brake on as the pads can potentially freeze up to the rotor and you'll be dragging the brake.
Old 01-24-15, 05:02 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

E-brakes sometimes are self adjusting so maybe its that.
Old 01-24-15, 08:56 PM
bostonb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swacer
Two things come to mind. 1, do you hear the sound after it has rained or severe moisture? Your rotors will rust over and your pads will clean it off after the first brake application.

Second thought is your parking brake is sticking in the cold weather. On severely cold days, do not leave your parking brake on as the pads can potentially freeze up to the rotor and you'll be dragging the brake.
1. I can't recall if it was raining, but back when I had the problem, I know I was driving for quite some time and could still hear the grind when I applied the brakes lightly.

2. I actually never use the parking brakes (aside from that time I was playing with it as mentioned earlier) and I've always parked in my garage (flat surface) ever since I've had the vehicle. I believe the temp is about 30 degrees on average in there since I've had it.
Old 01-26-15, 07:57 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonb
1. I can't recall if it was raining, but back when I had the problem, I know I was driving for quite some time and could still hear the grind when I applied the brakes lightly.

2. I actually never use the parking brakes (aside from that time I was playing with it as mentioned earlier) and I've always parked in my garage (flat surface) ever since I've had the vehicle. I believe the temp is about 30 degrees on average in there since I've had it.
Exactly , try using it for awhile see if it goes away. Nothing to lose.
Old 03-28-16, 12:41 PM
racy
Driver School Candidate

Hi yzhou24,
You are not alone! I bought a 2016 NX 200t recently; it has 2600 miles on it. My wife slowed down to turn into our driveway and she heard this grating, noise. Sounds like metal on metal screeching. We had it towed to the Lexus dealer. Of course now it's not making noise.... They've had it 2 days. I'll let you know what happens.

Quick Reply: grinding noise when braking?HELP!