NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Warranty on the NX

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 05:10 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My CA knew I wanted to keep the car for about 10 years. Still the extended warranty discussion never came up because I told him flat I am not interested and I am choosing Lexus over BMW because of the reliability Lexus is known for. My 2014 Prius was trouble free during 10 year ownership and I expect NX to be as reliable.
Old 01-13-15, 01:59 PM
bostonb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Correct, no extended warranty purchase. For reference, I don't buy it for my appliances and electronics either.

If this is not yet firmed up, ensure you clearly understand what is covered and what is not since some items that may "break" are considered wear and tear as opposed to an abnormal failure due to a defect.
Thanks Corrado. I ended up canceling my warranty. I feel good about it.
Old 01-13-15, 06:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

A+. Most important thing is enjoying your NX! Congrats.
Old 01-14-15, 09:24 AM
bostonb
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
A+. Most important thing is enjoying your NX! Congrats.
Thanks, definitely enjoying it now, but in the back of my mind, I do think about those crazy technical issues with the Nav that people are reporting about while driving. Hopefully everything keeps working as great as it has been for the past week.
Old 01-14-15, 04:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonb
Thanks, definitely enjoying it now, but in the back of my mind, I do think about those crazy technical issues with the Nav that people are reporting about while driving. Hopefully everything keeps working as great as it has been for the past week.
Similar Nav freezing issues have also occurred with some owners of the new '14 IS within their first year of ownership. If you do encounter this issue with your NX, it will highly likely occur within the first few months vs a few years from now post-warranty.
Old 01-14-15, 04:57 PM
lexusfan05
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonb
There are two categories of major failure/issue - electronics and mechanical.
- Electronics tend to fail or surface issues pretty quickly, most likely within the first year or so. You are covered by regular warranty.
- Mechanical has a tendency of failing late in the game, but you have powertrain warranty of 7 years 70k miles to cover for most of the major ones - namely engine, turbo and transmission.

Extended warranty is a lucrative business on Japanese cars because they make money on almost all of them. That's why the sales commissions are high and the finance manager are so eager to sell them. You made the right decision, enjoy the car.
Old 01-16-15, 01:16 PM
bostonb
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusfan05
- Electronics tend to fail or surface issues pretty quickly, most likely within the first year or so. You are covered by regular warranty.
- Mechanical has a tendency of failing late in the game, but you have powertrain warranty of 7 years 70k miles to cover for most of the major ones - namely engine, turbo and transmission.

Extended warranty is a lucrative business on Japanese cars because they make money on almost all of them. That's why the sales commissions are high and the finance manager are so eager to sell them. You made the right decision, enjoy the car.
Thanks for the reassurance, lexusfan05.
Old 02-01-15, 11:04 PM
scubarobin
Driver School Candidate

Default Other option for extended warranty purchase

When I contacted my insurance company (USAA) to transfer coverage to my new NX I was surprised to find out they offer extended warranties that are not only better in terms of what they cover they are MUCH less expensive. Well over 2/3rds less expensive and even covers key replacement among many other extras that the very expensive dealer warranty does not cover. May want to check with your insurance company to see what they offer.
The following users liked this post:
Robb79 (10-25-21)
Old 02-02-15, 04:06 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusfan05

For the electronics, you realize you ruined your own point, right? By saying the the electronic will fail within the first year....what are they going to replace it with? The exact same electronic, which will also have a short functional life. Then the cycle will begin again. The more tech in the car, the higher chances of component failure.

And extended warranty is a ripoff on all car companies, regardless where the company comes from.
Old 02-09-15, 06:27 AM
lexusfan05
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
For the electronics, you realize you ruined your own point, right? By saying the the electronic will fail within the first year....what are they going to replace it with? The exact same electronic, which will also have a short functional life. Then the cycle will begin again. The more tech in the car, the higher chances of component failure.

And extended warranty is a ripoff on all car companies, regardless where the company comes from.
I was referring to statistical failure models, not bad design. I have not seen much bad chip design in a Japanese car, and 4 years is plenty of time for manufacturer to fix that sort of thing.

Statistical failures usually follow a so called bathtub curve where failure rate is high in the early life and in the late life, but is low in the middle. Chip makers run parts through burn-in test to catch the early failures but some may escape the test and then fail in the field.

So, a replacement electronic component is not exactly the same same as the one that failed. No two chips are exactly the same, there is always some variation in the manufacturing process.
Old 02-09-15, 06:40 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, they shouldnt deny a warranty bc you missed an oil change or a service.

As far as purchasing asing the warranty, **** happens so you have two options, 1. Keep it, most likely 95% you are not going to need it for the first 5-7y, simply bc extended warranty only covers majors: engine, tranny and some other major things which rarely break on cars like Lexus.

Your second option is to go back there and throw the contract in their faces and tell him you want that crap off your contract! I've done it and its doable, but you will loose the nice relationship if you had one!
Old 02-09-15, 06:44 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just read that you canceled the warranty, good for you! Enjoy ur new ride
Old 02-10-15, 07:34 AM
bostonb
Rookie

Originally Posted by FastTags
First of all, they shouldnt deny a warranty bc you missed an oil change or a service.

As far as purchasing asing the warranty, **** happens so you have two options, 1. Keep it, most likely 95% you are not going to need it for the first 5-7y, simply bc extended warranty only covers majors: engine, tranny and some other major things which rarely break on cars like Lexus.

Your second option is to go back there and throw the contract in their faces and tell him you want that crap off your contract! I've done it and its doable, but you will loose the nice relationship if you had one!
Originally Posted by FastTags
Just read that you canceled the warranty, good for you! Enjoy ur new ride
Thanks, I didn't quite "throw the contract in their faces", but I did go back and the finance guy wasn't happy. He actually said to me, "You're making me lose money" with a look of huge disappointment before catching himself and then seemingly being in a better mood about it and willing to do whatever it takes to make me happy. It was obvious that he wasn't thrilled and just holding everything back aside from that first statement and reaction. He told me it would take over a month for the warranty stuff to be removed from my account and that I'd still see the original payment amount in the first month, but not the second.
Old 08-12-16, 08:11 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

When I bought my NX recently, the finance guy at the dealer brought up the extended warranty. He let us know what its all about and that at any time we can cancel and we will be refunded the whole thing if before the period occurs, or if at any time during the extended warranty period, a prorated refund will be made. The total added interest on that was not significant to us for the life of the auto loan. I'll revisit it again a few years down the line before the basic warranty ends, to see if we still need this extended warranty. It does add some value to the car if we ever decide to sell it with the warranty still intact I guess.
Old 08-12-16, 08:34 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aztr0
When I bought my NX recently, the finance guy at the dealer brought up the extended warranty. He let us know what its all about and that at any time we can cancel and we will be refunded the whole thing if before the period occurs, or if at any time during the extended warranty period, a prorated refund will be made. The total added interest on that was not significant to us for the life of the auto loan. I'll revisit it again a few years down the line before the basic warranty ends, to see if we still need this extended warranty. It does add some value to the car if we ever decide to sell it with the warranty still intact I guess.
All very true with the Lexus warranty. When I sold my 2005 RX I had them refund my extended warranty prorated. I did not buy it until the last year of the regular 4 year warranty.
I did not roll it over to the 2010 RX I purchased. I sold the 2010 just prior to the regular 4 year warranty expiring.
I would not recommend buying the Lexus warranty until the last year of the regular warranty however.

Quick Reply: Warranty on the NX