NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Qi charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 06:14 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I use it quite a lot. My only gripe (other than its location) is that it doesn't regulate the heat. My battery gets up to 119°+.

My QI Chargers at home and at the office senses when the temperature get too hot and slows down the charge until it cools down.

Last edited by NXOwner; 12-02-15 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-22-16, 04:45 PM
DAngeline
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qi charger removed

I finally got my Qi charger removed by the dealer. They wanted to charge me 2 hours labor to remove it but I complained and they agreed to remove it free of charge. I posted it for sale on ebay if anyone is interested. Not sure how easy the install would be. They claimed they had to remove the center console to get it out but I'm skeptical. I posted pics of the fasteners on the ebay listing.
Old 01-22-16, 08:19 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I use it quite a lot. My only gripe (other than its location) is that it doesn't regulate the heat. My battery gets up to 119°+
See that's interesting. My NX just happened to have it, and I have an iPhone. So I ended up grabbing a QI charging case online. It charges my phone fairly rapidly, and never overheats. Whereas my home charging pad seems to get my case hotter than I'd like. I wonder if that's the difference from having the charging element in the phone itself, vs. having it in an external case. More thermal dissipation... I enjoy having the Qi charger, minus the fact I forget my phone in the car about 50% of the time now lol
Old 01-23-16, 07:47 AM
bjhegstad
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know what they had to do to remove it. One Lexus service member told me they would have to remove the console to get it out. 2 hours seems like a long time. I need to go back to a dealer and see if a NX without that option has the holes in the console for the tray and it the wiring is there. Thanks for the update
Old 01-28-16, 04:12 PM
bjhegstad
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its out and I'm happy.

I was able to cut the back of the tray and that provided the flexibility to remove it. It turns out the tray is the female part, the posts fixed to the console are around 1/2 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch in length. Out with minimal damage, I could re-install and for the most part hide the cut.

Now according to Lexus I have to hope my wheels don't fall off, or my car burst into flames.
Old 05-27-16, 08:57 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an HTC One M8 with metal body. No way to add a module inside the phone because of the metal case. I ordered a DigiYes Ultra Slim Micro USB Wireless Charging Receiver Module ($10 on Amazon.com) and a couple of Qi compatible chargers for home. The adapter is taped to the exterior of the phone and covered by a plastic case protector. At first it worked very well. The Lexus charger was really fast and my home chargers were pretty good as well. However, after about a week I realized that my phone was always very hot when taking it off the chargers, too hot for my comfort level. I did not want to damage the phone so I removed the DigiYes and went back to regular charging. I will make sure my next phone does have built-in Qi charging.
Old 05-27-16, 11:58 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bjhegstad
Its out and I'm happy.
I was able to cut the back of the tray and that provided the flexibility to remove it. It turns out the tray is the female part, the posts fixed to the console are around 1/2 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch in length. Out with minimal damage, I could re-install and for the most part hide the cut.

Now according to Lexus I have to hope my wheels don't fall off, or my car burst into flames.
What happened to the wiring for the charger? Did you cut into any wires?
Old 06-06-16, 01:33 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an HTC One M8 with a DigiEye ultra slim Qi adapter. At home I have several Qi chargers. After trial and error, the best one I found is the Seneo 3 coils charger stand. It costs Cad$34 on Amazon.ca (probably much cheaper in the USA, as usual!). No problem finding a sweet spot it always works! I even tried with the stand still wrapped in it's bubble wrap and, with this extra space between the phone and the stand, it still worked. The best thing is that it keeps the phone cool during the charge. On the other hand, my phone does not fit the space provided on the Qi charger in the NX! The phone is just a bit too long. There is plenty of space on that charger, why did they make the space so small? It still charges my phone but it also produces way too much heat! I won't be using it, as I don't want to fry my phone, and will be adding a iOttie HLCRIO132 Easy One Touch Wireless Qi Standard Car Mount Charger instead! So much for integrated Qi charging!
Old 10-08-16, 01:11 PM
kaka22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bjhegstad
Its out and I'm happy.

Can you provide us with more pictures or videos to show how to remove it? my dealer said they would find out if they remove it for me and would charge me labor to do it.
Old 10-09-16, 02:15 PM
TProfit
Driver School Candidate

Crazy but does anyone have the charging tray and wiring still for sale?
Old 10-12-16, 07:28 AM
kaka22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TProfit
If I can take mine out, I'll sell it to you.
Old 10-12-16, 08:09 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

rather than go thru that, you might want to look at something like this that would kill two birds with one stone (magnetic vent holder/qi charger) - you have the cable hanging around though

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Nill...qi+car+charger
Old 10-13-16, 04:54 AM
TProfit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
rather than go thru that, you might want to look at something like this that would kill two birds with one stone (magnetic vent holder/qi charger) - you have the cable hanging around though

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Nill...qi+car+charger

Yeah that's the problem. I was trying to achieve a seamless, clean look. No exposed wires at all.
Old 10-13-16, 08:09 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

it'll give you the benefit of not forgetting your phone and allowing you to use the phone for navigation...
Old 10-13-16, 04:24 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah that's the problem. I was trying to achieve a seamless, clean look. No exposed wires at all.
Most of the panels pop off by hand. If you look at the thread about the navigation lock up override, there's a video in there detailing the whole process. You could have a USB charger plugged into your 12v supply in the center console and run the cable under all the panels so it pops out just at the aircon vent for that seamless clean look. Seriously, it's not hard to do, cos you're not popping off ALL the panels like the video, just the ones you need. At most, 5 panels. Unless you're going for the center vents. Then you need to get the silver trim piece that sits around the radio off. That would be the same process as the video then.

bla bla bla TL;DR -> run cable behind panels for clean look.

Quick Reply: Qi charger