NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

F-Sport Seats - Holy Bolstering!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 05:58 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport Seats - Holy Bolstering!

Finally got a chance to sit in the F Sport today. They are REALLY bolstered. Even more than I anticipated. More than the IS for sure. Has me really concerned about overall comfort and comfort for larger passengers. I'm gonna have to do some more thinking. Hmmmm ... I'm certainly not extremely overweight but am wider across the hips (5'11" 195 lbs) than some and I'm not sure how I felt about them for myself. Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 01-07-15, 06:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

You too, eh?

I'm a tad shorter and lighter than you and it's only the right bottom bolster the "problem" for me and cb80923 so far reported. Very stiff and intrudes in your right thigh/butt. All else regarding seating comfort is fine.
Old 01-07-15, 06:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

For clarity, here's the problem area.
Attached Thumbnails F-Sport Seats - Holy Bolstering!-nx_bolster.jpg  
Old 01-07-15, 06:32 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As thorough as Lexus is with their testing I'm surprised the bolstering wasn't noticed. It's my understanding they test across various body sizes, ethnicities, etc. During the development of the LS400 they had their engineers wear false fingernails to simulate women operating the window/lock controls.
This may sound extreme but I wonder if a person couldn't take a 30-35 lb. hex dumbbell, wrap it a towel and leave it on the bolster for a few nights to soften it up a little.
I never sat in the F-Sport before ordering the NX for my wife though I had an IS F sport loaner for a day. Seeing this issue raised makes me concerned for my wife. She really likes her 14 RX but I pushed her to the NX because I liked the styling. I may be in the doghouse for a while unless I can make that bolster comfortable for her.
Old 01-07-15, 06:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Funny enough, my wife senses no issue with the bolstering despite being (naturally) a tad wider at the hips.

I've been pushing on it with my hand and body weight and it seems to have softened a tad (or perhaps it's my imagination). Suprising since the seat shape is the same as the IS F-Sport's though they obviously used firmer foam. But like all foam, eventually it softens over usage, but I like your idea of keeping weight on it while not in use to attempt to further accelerate the softening.
Old 01-07-15, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I'm 6' 205lbs and I found them snug, but comfortable. I have power bolsters in the GS and I set them fairly snug too. I'm a 42L suit jacket, so that will give you some idea of the size of my frame.

But my only seat time has been at the dealership, I haven't driven one.
Old 01-08-15, 04:09 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'm 6' 205lbs and I found them snug, but comfortable. I have power bolsters in the GS and I set them fairly snug too. I'm a 42L suit jacket, so that will give you some idea of the size of my frame.

+1 I am 6' 210lbs and I found them comfortable also. These seats are very close to what I have in my camaro and those are good for long drives without an issue.
Old 01-08-15, 07:18 AM
Greenspoon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALE81
As thorough as Lexus is with their testing I'm surprised the bolstering wasn't noticed. It's my understanding they test across various body sizes, ethnicities, etc. During the development of the LS400 they had their engineers wear false fingernails to simulate women operating the window/lock controls.
This may sound extreme but I wonder if a person couldn't take a 30-35 lb. hex dumbbell, wrap it a towel and leave it on the bolster for a few nights to soften it up a little.
I never sat in the F-Sport before ordering the NX for my wife though I had an IS F sport loaner for a day. Seeing this issue raised makes me concerned for my wife. She really likes her 14 RX but I pushed her to the NX because I liked the styling. I may be in the doghouse for a while unless I can make that bolster comfortable for her.
Seems to me that is what had to be done because of the seat belt receiver.. . . . the extra stiffness keep your leg off of that. . . . I could not sit more than 20 min on the test drive. I think they designed this for the 120 -175 pound driver. Not for the Wide body driver.
Perhaps; now that you are committed, you can check with a local custom shop that deals with car seats( leather upgrades etc..)
Old 01-08-15, 10:54 AM
DenM54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS

I am about the same size and find the seats comfortable. They are snug, but that's the design and it feels nice.
Old 01-08-15, 12:11 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

Somehow I did not notice bolster much during test drive but after having owned NX for about a month I definitely feel them. I feel them against my thighs but I would not call them uncomfortable. Having said that left bolter gets in a way a little when I exit NX. I am 6' 180lbs.
Old 01-08-15, 04:23 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Yes, I have only sat in one F Sport but that was my conclusion. The height of the bolstering was enough that egress was a bit awkward. I am 5'8" at 160 pounds and they fit me like a glove, but there is no way they would fit my wife. Definitely not the version for us. I would like to see how the seats in the 300H compares.
Old 01-08-15, 11:37 PM
bostonb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been driving my NX 200t AWD F Sport for about 3 days now and the seats feel very comfortable to me. I'm 5'10" and 195 lbs. I'm liking most things about this car so far.
Old 01-09-15, 01:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

for long, people have complained about not enough bolstering in Lexus, when compared to other brands sports seats, thats why... I would probably prefer standard version as well.
Old 01-09-15, 06:35 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Funny enough, my wife senses no issue with the bolstering despite being (naturally) a tad wider at the hips.

I've been pushing on it with my hand and body weight and it seems to have softened a tad (or perhaps it's my imagination). Suprising since the seat shape is the same as the IS F-Sport's though they obviously used firmer foam. But like all foam, eventually it softens over usage, but I like your idea of keeping weight on it while not in use to attempt to further accelerate the softening.
i don't think i can convince my wife any further on getting the NX F Sport. This is mainly due to the fact that the seat shape is very similar if not identical to the 3IS F Sport seats. My wife complains being 5'4" average build, that the 3IS seats are low and deep. So when she sits back on the passenger side, the massive lower side bolsters push her arms and elbow a little forward while she's sitting and it makes it an uncomfortable ride when in the car for more than 15 mins. Good thing I'm garaging it and just bought an Altima as my dd. I think we may just go for the MDX instead, bigger engine, good styling, extremely comfortable, and the SH-AWD beats practically every competitor except for Land/Range Rovers.
I think regarding the foam you're right about that. I recall reading any article mentioning that part of the reason why the 3IS seats are so comfortable to most is because they put the cover on, then inject the gel expanding foam into the NuLux, making it much more plush. I don't think they used to the same engineering practice on the NX, therefore must of used regular foam agents thus the harder feel in material.
I also think its ridiculously funny the number of guys on the forum who mentions they need their wife's support/concurrence before getting the NX or other vehicle (myself included lol)
Old 01-09-15, 08:03 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
i don't think i can convince my wife any further on getting the NX F Sport. This is mainly due to the fact that the seat shape is very similar if not identical to the 3IS F Sport seats. My wife complains being 5'4" average build, that the 3IS seats are low and deep. So when she sits back on the passenger side, the massive lower side bolsters push her arms and elbow a little forward while she's sitting and it makes it an uncomfortable ride when in the car for more than 15 mins. Good thing I'm garaging it and just bought an Altima as my dd. I think we may just go for the MDX instead, bigger engine, good styling, extremely comfortable, and the SH-AWD beats practically every competitor except for Land/Range Rovers.
I think regarding the foam you're right about that. I recall reading any article mentioning that part of the reason why the 3IS seats are so comfortable to most is because they put the cover on, then inject the gel expanding foam into the NuLux, making it much more plush. I don't think they used to the same engineering practice on the NX, therefore must of used regular foam agents thus the harder feel in material.
I also think its ridiculously funny the number of guys on the forum who mentions they need their wife's support/concurrence before getting the NX or other vehicle (myself included lol)
We have a new generation MDX (2014). If you have any questions please feel free to message me.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Seats - Holy Bolstering!