NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Fuel Reserve (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 10:06 AM
Bill93001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX Fuel Reserve (Merged Threads)

How much gas is there left in the tank when the reserve light goes on?
Old 01-03-15, 11:55 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I haven't hit my first empty tank and I'll let you know more precisely then.

But based on past numerous Toyota/Lexus vehicles I've owned, the light goes on when you have about 10-12 L (2.5-3 Gallons) left.
Old 01-03-15, 01:58 PM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My "Low Fuel" light came on around 30 miles left on the range during my cross country trip. I didn't push it too far past that. But then gassing up was usually 12-13 gallons a fill up during my trip and it is a 14.9 gallon tank if I'm not mistaken. The most I gassed up when the fuel light was on was 13.367 gallons. So another 1.5 gal in there.
Old 01-03-15, 09:49 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

If the specs say it's a 14.9 gallon tank, that's not useable gallons, that's probably the tank's capacity. There's always a certain amount of fuel that can't be pumped to the engine because there's a standpipe to prevent the dregs at the bottom of the tank from being sucked into the pump inlet. Then again, maybe this is old-school, and there's a sock-like filter on the inlet. Anyone else?
Ray A.
Old 01-11-15, 07:51 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default 10-11L or 2.75 US Gallons Left When Fuel Light Goes On

Here's an accurate figure, consistent with other Lexus/Toyota models.

Light came on and 3 kms (hwy driving) later I fueled up. I put in 49.5 L after the first pump click and added another 0.5L after 3-4 clicks more.

Tank holds 60L so when the light goes on, there is about 10-11 L left (~ 2.75 US Gallons).
Attached Thumbnails NX Fuel Reserve (Merged Threads)-nx_fuelrefill1.jpg   NX Fuel Reserve (Merged Threads)-nx_fuelrefill2.jpg   NX Fuel Reserve (Merged Threads)-nx_fuelrefill3.jpg  
Old 01-11-15, 09:40 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill93001
How much gas is there left in the tank when the reserve light goes on?
When the reserve light comes on, the question I ask myself is "How many miles are left."
I usually figure about 40 at most and refill around 20 after the light comes on in our RX350.
This is in line with what others have said, figuring about 20 MPG.
Back in the day, I ran out of gas with money in my pocket. I vowed never to let that happen again.
Ray A.
Old 01-11-15, 09:56 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by raylor4
When the reserve light comes on, the question I ask myself is "How many miles are left."
I usually figure about 40 at most and refill around 20 after the light comes on in our RX350.
Back in the day, I ran out of gas with money in my pocket. I vowed never to let that happen again.
Ray A.
This is a fair cautious ballpark. If one wants to get a more accurate assessment, it will depend on what your instantaneous mpg fuel consumption average readout is. For instance, if you're on the hwy for a long stretch on a downhill incline, you may be at 32 mpg versus in a worst case jammed in stop and go traffic at 14 mpg, it's a noticeable difference.

32 mpg x 2.75 gallons = 88 miles (to empty)
14 mpg x 2.75 gallons = 38 miles (to empty)
Old 01-11-15, 03:22 PM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

Ray A.
I assume this is just for information purposes and not the usual practice of refuelling when fuel light comes on...I've never done this practice since it is not good for your car let alone if you are driving a premium-luxury model where people assume you can afford an expensive vehicle and $30-40 worth of gas is nothing.

Other reason too is where I live (gets extremely cold) that condensation can build up inside fuel tank that's why during winter my indicator is when fuel gets to half a tank i already fill up and all other seasons when fuel goes down to a quarter tank I refuel...I never wait for fuel light to come on.
Old 01-11-15, 10:11 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tekbiss
...I never wait for fuel light to come on.
Never? You don't know what you're missing

I have this weird pleasure out of going as far as possible without fueling up.

On a recent drive in a rental camry, I drove from Las Vegas to the south end of the grand canyon, about 270 miles one way. With a full tank, the light came on on the way back with about 170 miles to go. Got within city limits of Las vegas before I chickened out...

Note that Im not stupid, I have Amex's road side assistance with me at all times
Old 01-11-15, 11:06 PM
raylor4
Instructor

tekbiss- Yes, informational purposes only. I agree, in your situation, you should fill the tank when it reaches half. The winter temp in our garage overnight is around 50F where we live, fortunately.
I agree with RXSF and I too have a tendency to see how close to the cliff I can get with the low gas yellow light on. At my age, this is all I have left for excitement. Just kidding. Love this forum.

I assume this is just for information purposes and not the usual practice of refuelling when fuel light comes on...I've never done this practice since it is not good for your car let alone if you are driving a premium-luxury model where people assume you can afford an expensive vehicle and $30-40 worth of gas is nothing.

Other reason too is where I live (gets extremely cold) that condensation can build up inside fuel tank that's why during winter my indicator is when fuel gets to half a tank i already fill up and all other seasons when fuel goes down to a quarter tank I refuel...I never wait for fuel light to come on.
Old 01-12-15, 04:05 AM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
Never? You don't know what you're missing

I have this weird pleasure out of going as far as possible without fueling up.

On a recent drive in a rental camry, I drove from Las Vegas to the south end of the grand canyon, about 270 miles one way. With a full tank, the light came on on the way back with about 170 miles to go. Got within city limits of Las vegas before I chickened out...

Note that Im not stupid, I have Amex's road side assistance with me at all times
Answer is No, never because I do not let it get to that point and I do have my own reasons just like everyone else here...I am not trying to hit a nerve here just stating my opinion and preference

I do however understand the point of trying to "squeeze out" as much as you can from a tank as you try to experiment or drive as efficient as possible...trust me I know 'coz I do also drive a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid which is more fuel efficient than the NX 200T

Last edited by tekbiss; 01-12-15 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 04:07 AM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

tekbiss- Yes, informational purposes only. I agree, in your situation, you should fill the tank when it reaches half. The winter temp in our garage overnight is around 50F where we live, fortunately.
I agree with RXSF and I too have a tendency to see how close to the cliff I can get with the low gas yellow light on. At my age, this is all I have left for excitement. Just kidding. Love this forum.

Good for you that you don't have to worry about condensation...I also understand the feeling and excitement of trying to drive as efficient as possible and squeezing out as much as you can from a tank of gas....
Old 01-16-15, 08:38 AM
bostonb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread. Glad I found it. I was just complaining to my brother the other day about how I was disappointed with the NX fuel tank capacity. I've only filled up the gas once and that was when I had 30-40 or so miles remaining. When I filled up the tank, it said 11.697 gallons. Since I was getting 24 miles per gallon on average, I calculated that the tank capacity was somewhere between 12-13 gallons. I've heard of some sedans with a 19 gallon capacity so I was pretty disappointed by the NX in comparison. I looked at the manual today and it said 15.9 gallons, so that confused me, but what you guys are stating in this thread makes sense. I'm guessing the 30-40 or so miles was only until the light came on and I still have a few more gallons remaining after that.
Old 01-16-15, 09:00 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, 15.9 is a little small for an SUV IMO. Heck, my camaro has a 20 gallon tank (which disappears much too quickly lol).

I would assume the tank size was chosen on chassis size, along with weight concerns. Since gasoline is around 6lbs/gallon, to get up to 20 gallons is adding another 24lbs to the car in fuel, plus the additional metal for the fuel tank. By the end, to get another 4 gallons would increase the car's weight ~40-50 lbs. But i am not sure 50 lbs would have changed much though, because that only impacts the lbs/hp by ~1%. So i would put my money on chassis constraints.

Is this a 2 stage exterior fuel pump, or an internal fluid cooled fuel pump?

Reason I bring that up, is if its an internal pump, running this near empty is putting overheating issues on your fuel pumps. So if you want that pump to have a long life, you gotta keep that thing submerged in fuel.
Old 01-17-15, 07:08 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

Yesterday fuel lamp came on when I had about 10 miles remaining in range. I drove about 3 miles not having any idea how far I can go without refueling. (Prius could go about 70 miles but I know that is out of the question). When I put over 13 gallons fuel started spilling.

Quick Reply: NX Fuel Reserve (Merged Threads)