NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-16, 06:20 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
I think you may have misunderstood me - or it's my bad wording. I'm aware that the radar emblem is flat and shiny compared to the "normal" which is actually 3D and has depth. I meant to change the one from the 200t to the 300h. This is the non-radar one: This is the radar one: http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMG_1449.jpg
If what you meant is to replace the emblem of NX300h with the one from NX200t, I would assume it is okay as the emblem is always the flat and shiny one and not the normal/regular 3D one for NX. But putting a non-clear Lexus sticker on top of the logo probably interfere the radar function. A clear paint protection film, on the other hand, works okay since this is the case on my 3IS with PCS.

Last edited by AndyL; 03-27-16 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-27-16, 06:05 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
If what you meant is to replace the emblem of NX300h with the one from NX200t, I would assume it is okay as the emblem is always the flat and shiny one and not the normal/regular 3D one for NX. But putting a non-clear Lexus sticker on top of the logo probably interfere the radar function. A clear paint protection film, on the other hand, works okay since this is the case on my 3IS with PCS.
I've also noticed, the NX 200t has a normal badge on the rear while the 300h has a flat 3D badge. I assume it's there so they have have the blue glow around the logo.

_________

Another thing I've noticed, is that there is LED footwell lights in the front and when you put the car out of park they dim. Is there a way to keep them on full brightness?
Old 04-04-16, 02:53 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Two interesting things I found out this week.

Our family just got a new 2016 Subaru Forester and as I was using the infotainment system it looks EXACTLY like the one on the NX. I'm guessing it's the same system but optimised for touch.

Even the Bluetooth menus is the same with the same options.

The other thing I found out about my NX hybrid is that if you put the car in reverse, usually it stays in EV mode but if you push the accelerator enough to have the gasoline engine run, it won't turn off again until you have it in drive again (not even neutral gear) no matter how full the battery is. I supposed they designed it so if you are reversing up a slope, you always have the gas engine ready if you already needed it before.

Which makes me wonder, one of the gripes is that the hybrid system doesn't keep the gas engine on when it needs to recharge the battery, it just charges it up to 3 bars. If I were to put the car in neutral and step on the gas pedal to turn the engine in, it will stay on and recharge the battery?
Old 04-04-16, 05:12 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that Toyota hybrids all used electric motors for reverse. Can anyone confirm that? If it is accurate, I cannot understand TeaAholic1's observations.

As to the questions posed, I'm afraid I don't have any idea. We have had hybrids for 10 years now, and currently have two, but I never used reverse for more than backing out of the garage or a parking space, and the gas always kicks on if the car has been off for more than a few minutes. I can't say I am familiar with your observation, but it seems contrary to my expectations.
Old 04-05-16, 04:55 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I thought I read somewhere that Toyota hybrids all used electric motors for reverse. Can anyone confirm that? If it is accurate, I cannot understand TeaAholic1's observations.

As to the questions posed, I'm afraid I don't have any idea. We have had hybrids for 10 years now, and currently have two, but I never used reverse for more than backing out of the garage or a parking space, and the gas always kicks on if the car has been off for more than a few minutes. I can't say I am familiar with your observation, but it seems contrary to my expectations.
Same here--no mechanical link for reverse. I've read that, too, have had 4 Toyota/Lexus hybrids.

Maybe the battery needed a recharge, so the ICE came on. Temperature of the radiator and cat converter also play a role.

Also, I seem to recall if you have it in N and stopped you get a warning that the car will not be charging. Also, I recall you don't get any ICE response with the gas pedal if you are in N.
Old 04-05-16, 04:59 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jim256
Same here--no mechanical link for reverse. I've read that, too, have had 4 Toyota/Lexus hybrids.

Maybe the battery needed a recharge, so the ICE came on. Temperature of the radiator and cat converter also play a role.

Also, I seem to recall if you have it in N and stopped you get a warning that the car will not be charging. Also, I recall you don't get any ICE response with the gas pedal if you are in N.
Nope. The car's battery was full as I just got off the highway. When I put the car back in D, the car instantly shut the engine off.

I tried it again today. Put the car in reverse. If I feather the gas pedal, it stays in electric mode. If I give it a sharp shove, the engine kicks in if the meter goes pass the "ECO" range.
Old 04-05-16, 07:58 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Nope. The car's battery was full as I just got off the highway. When I put the car back in D, the car instantly shut the engine off.

I tried it again today. Put the car in reverse. If I feather the gas pedal, it stays in electric mode. If I give it a sharp shove, the engine kicks in if the meter goes pass the "ECO" range.
My experience has been with FWD, perhaps the second Motor Generator on the rear wheels changes how it operates.
Old 04-05-16, 05:04 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

My experience has been with FWD, perhaps the second Motor Generator on the rear wheels changes how it operates.
Ditto here. This is my first hybrid AWD. I will have to experiment a bit and see if I can duplicate that. I'm going to have to really think about it as that isn't a driving pattern/maneuver that I would typically perform.
Old 04-06-16, 02:08 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

So are you saying in a Prius, if you put it in R and floor it, it will stay in EV mode?

That's pretty cool, can you imagine driving backwards on a race track in EV mode only
Old 04-06-16, 05:34 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

So are you saying in a Prius, if you put it in R and floor it, it will stay in EV mode?

That's pretty cool, can you imagine driving backwards on a race track in EV mode only
No idea what happens--the tech info says it's only on electric power in Reverse, no gearing for the ICE. I suppose it would still cut off at 25 mph, as it does in EV mode.
Old 04-06-16, 06:07 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

As far as I know, it will reverse to whoever speed the electric motor is capable of. That's just a guess on my part. But if my understanding is correct, no ICE power to reverse gear on a Toyota hybrid.
Old 04-08-16, 02:21 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

As far as I know, it will reverse to whoever speed the electric motor is capable of. That's just a guess on my part. But if my understanding is correct, no ICE power to reverse gear on a Toyota hybrid.
I'm here to prove to you that my NX does use the ICE to reverse.

Engine warmed up, battery full, reverse gear and when accelerator pushed past ECO:

Put the car back to D:

Old 04-08-16, 08:41 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

You have the sport mode on. That may keep the ICE running in different circumstances. Try it again in ECO mode.

I have no direct knowledge, so I can only share or quote what I have heard or read. There is a Wikipedia page on Toyota hybrids. In a discussion of the eCVT transmissions used it states "Reverse gear (equivalent): There is no reverse gear as in a conventional gearbox: the computer reverses the phase sequence to AC motor-generator MG2, applying negative torque to the wheels."

Furthermore, discussions from another CL forum suggest the same thing: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...reversing.html

So I am no mechanic, but I have read a number of posts and discussions even from automotive periodicals that support the argument that there is no reverse gear in Toyota hybrid eCVT units. That still doesn't explain your observation, but I am still wondering if it is related to the fact that your test was in sports mode?
Old 04-08-16, 09:22 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

That still doesn't explain your observation, but I am still wondering if it is related to the fact that your test was in sports mode?
If I'm not mistaken, the Toyota hybrids are all FWD?

The configuration of the AWD hybrid system may be different.

Also, the sports mode doesn't change the way when the engine is turned on. If you really want, I can show you with it turned off, but the car was still in EV mode while in reverse before I stepped hard on the gas pedal and turned on.

That being said, the engine will always turn on when you step past the pedal. I am wondering if the engine is on, but it's not actually driving the wheels back. It would be a bit counter-intuitive if that was the case right?
Old 04-09-16, 04:14 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

If I'm not mistaken, the Toyota hybrids are all FWD?

The configuration of the AWD hybrid system may be different.

Also, the sports mode doesn't change the way when the engine is turned on. If you really want, I can show you with it turned off, but the car was still in EV mode while in reverse before I stepped hard on the gas pedal and turned on.

That being said, the engine will always turn on when you step past the pedal. I am wondering if the engine is on, but it's not actually driving the wheels back. It would be a bit counter-intuitive if that was the case right?
Sport mode alters the characteristics of the car in various ways. I wonder if sport mode is programmed to keep the engine at a higher base temperature, so as you press it harder it kicks on the ICE? I would still recommend you give it a try in ECO. There are numerous subtle differences between the different operating modes. And yes, I agree that the configuration of the AWD systems may be different, however we know the rear wheels in the NX and RX are electric only, so I would expect the main driven wheels to behave very much like a traditional FWD. I suppose it could also just be a programming error? Wouldn't be the first one one an automotive system...

As for your question about Toyota hybrids, here in the states we have the AWD Toyota Highlander and the AWD Rav 4 hybrids. My personal experience has been with Priuses so I can't speak intelligently about the AWD models, and I think the Rav hybrid may be new to either the 2015 or 2016 model year. I'm not sure I understand your question though, since Lexus hybrids are using Toyota drivetrains. There may be some subtle differences, like liquid filled motor mounts to reduce vibration (at least there were at one time) but the basic components are the same.

Last edited by TechNut; 04-09-16 at 04:20 AM.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)