NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 06:12 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure Toyota could save a LOT of money if they would just maintain a single car design for all countries....
Old 02-04-16, 08:22 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I wonder if the arrows are on RHD models because most people are right-handed, so familiarity and accuracy with a touch pad could be a problem. It would be for me. Anybody with a LHD with the arrows?
Old 02-04-16, 01:06 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
I wonder if the arrows are on RHD models because most people are right-handed, so familiarity and accuracy with a touch pad could be a problem. It would be for me. Anybody with a LHD with the arrows?
That's what I was thinking, too. I had to drive a stick-shift in London once. Talk about confusing and frustrating! It was bad enough driving on the other side of the road; shifting with a non-dominant hand was just as bad!
Old 02-04-16, 02:13 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a "Back" button (reverse arrow icon) on the right, Home left, Menu middle.
Ahh I see. I was wondering the other day why Lexus didn't put a back button.

I'll say that I use the back button a lot more than going up/down in a list or using the map zoom control. But I argue that those are harder via pinch-and-zoom so it's useful to have. I wish it was a volume button in the audio screen though.

Originally Posted by Swacer
I'm sure Toyota could save a LOT of money if they would just maintain a single car design for all countries....
Yeah I was think that too, but remember Lexus is a luxury brand, we pay more for convenience and quality, not a mass market product designed to be as cheap as possible. Lexus is very expensive (relatively) outside the US.

Originally Posted by NXOwner
That's what I was thinking, too. I had to drive a stick-shift in London once. Talk about confusing and frustrating! It was bad enough driving on the other side of the road; shifting with a non-dominant hand was just as bad!
Another thing I found annoying with British cars is that the indicator stalk is on the left (for some reason) even though it is a RHD car. So you need to shift and indicate with the same hand.

My Honda Civic is imported and made in the UK and it has the stalk on the left too! I have trouble switching from the Civic to the NX. I seem to operate the wipers on both cars for the first 2 minutes of driving but I think I have gotten better at that. Still need to think when operating the wipers though.
Old 02-09-16, 09:20 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

just noticed the other day, when I get an incoming call (Android phone), the nav display shows the incoming number.

if I don't answer by hanging up, it then shows the name associated with the number. Don't know why it doesn't start with the name.
Old 02-09-16, 09:33 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1

Yeah I was think that too, but remember Lexus is a luxury brand, we pay more for convenience and quality, not a mass market product designed to be as cheap as possible. Lexus is very expensive (relatively) outside the US.
Being a luxury brand doesn't change the fact that they are out to make money. You are getting no more quality or convenience with your up/down than I am with my back button (my wife's IS has the up/down, and I find it useless personally).

You don't think the NX is a mass produced car? The NX is absolutely a mass produced model. There is NOTHING special about it, its a Lexus model, just like all the others (except maybe the LFA). There are more NXs produced a month than Chevy Camaros. Having inconsistency amongst the demographics only causes issues as that means they have to deal with several different vendors, have to deal with several different types of programming, and leave themselves open to issues that won't be consistent or predictable across the board.

They should have produced a standard car for everyone that was a consistent across the board. It would have been better for the customer and their bottom end.

Last edited by Swacer; 02-09-16 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-09-16, 10:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Good point. The NX is definitely a high volume model for the Lexus division. In the U.S. alone they sold over 3k in January, and last year 44K. Add in Canada and international markets and you have big volume.
Old 02-09-16, 11:30 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by typocl
just noticed the other day, when I get an incoming call (Android phone), the nav display shows the incoming number.

if I don't answer by hanging up, it then shows the name associated with the number. Don't know why it doesn't start with the name.
What phone do you have? I have a Samsung S6 edge and it does show the name in the nav display but only the number (I think) in the multifunction display. It also shows text messages when the arrive, but I don't know where the menu option is to read current messages.

Originally Posted by Swacer
Being a luxury brand doesn't change the fact that they are out to make money. You are getting no more quality or convenience with your up/down than I am with my back button (my wife's IS has the up/down, and I find it useless personally).

You don't think the NX is a mass produced car? The NX is absolutely a mass produced model.
When i was talking about "mass produced" I was referring to another class of car meaning something like a Toyota Corolla, something designed to be as cheaply as possible, vs something like the NX which is designed in mind or the higher end market.

I guess I used the term "mass market" incorrectly - even the 7 series and S-Class is a mass market car.

A car of this class, while striking balance between cost and luxury, still has luxury in the mind of the designers trying to work out how to make our lives easier. if the controls would benefit LHD but not RHD, then Lexus is in the position to design a second touchpad for the RHD market (of course then passing the cost of the development to consumers).

In a Toyota, they would have to compromise, either leaving it as it is for the relatively small RHD market or to design a controller that would work in both markets to reduce the number of different parts.
Old 02-22-16, 05:36 PM
NX200T
Driver School Candidate

Maybe I'm doing something wrong (hope I am) but are we not able to lock the door while leaving the car engine running in park? I had to go back into the house after starting the car but noticed the car does not lock while it's running. This is pretty stupid unless I'm doing something wrong
Old 02-23-16, 03:17 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NX200T
Maybe I'm doing something wrong (hope I am) but are we not able to lock the door while leaving the car engine running in park? I had to go back into the house after starting the car but noticed the car does not lock while it's running. This is pretty stupid unless I'm doing something wrong
You can't lock the car with the key fob if the car is on. That's the same with most cars.

I don't understand why though, there are many situations where I've wanted to do that. Must be some safety thing I don't understand.

One thing I've noticed, is that when you first start the car, the DRLs remain off until you move out of park. But once you've done that and return to park the DRLs remain on.
Old 02-23-16, 07:30 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

One thing I've noticed, is that when you first start the car, the DRLs remain off until you move out of park. But once you've done that and return to park the DRLs remain on.
Is your parking brake on? I think if you engage the parking brake in Park they will go off as well (have not tested on the NX).

"■ Daytime running light system
● To make your vehicle more visible to other drivers, the front parking lights turn on automatically
(at an increased intensity) whenever the engine is started and the parking
brake is released."
Old 02-23-16, 08:14 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I think Lexus has a design flaw at least for me with the seat memory buttons location.

The buttons are located exactly at my knee height. Almost every time while I'm driving my knee will bump into the buttons and instantly my seat will start moving, sometimes to my wife's setting that cramps me up against the steering wheel. This very aggravating but i don't think there is anything I can do other than tying down my left leg.

On my last RX, the buttons were much higher on the door way out of the way of my leg. Why Lexus would put the buttons so low is beyond me.

Has anyone else had this problem? It could be considered a safety issue I think.
In addition to the location of the seat memory buttons being awful, it sure would be nice if they would put some kind of braille-like, tactile indicator on each button (like one, two or three dots) so that I don't have to count from the front or back (because you sure can't see the buttons very well when sitting in the seat with the door closed!)
Old 02-23-16, 08:47 AM
NX200T
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
You can't lock the car with the key fob if the car is on. That's the same with most cars.

I don't understand why though, there are many situations where I've wanted to do that. Must be some safety thing I don't understand.
Can't lock with the FOB or the door handle either or manually locking it, it'll just unlock on its own. I thought you should be able to lock the car as long as the fob isn't inside the car. Must be a Lexus/Toyota thing. Because I'm capable of doing this with my Infiniti g37. I can lock from the FOB or the door handle.
Old 02-23-16, 01:56 PM
NX200T
Driver School Candidate

Just talked to the technology assist personnel from Lexus, can't lock the car from the outside while the car is running. This is totally stupid IMO. She states that its a safety feature so your car can't be driven away if it's broken into which makes sense if you leave your car running for a long time in a not so safe area. But if you just want to go quickly in and out of your car its actually safer to keep your car running
Old 02-23-16, 03:35 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Is your parking brake on? I think if you engage the parking brake in Park they will go off as well (have not tested on the NX).

"■ Daytime running light system
● To make your vehicle more visible to other drivers, the front parking lights turn on automatically
(at an increased intensity) whenever the engine is started and the parking
brake is released."
My parking brake is automatically released when I move out of park. But you may be right, maybe it's linked to the parking brake and not shifting out of P.

But when it engages in Park subsequent times, I don't think the DRLs turn off - they remain on.

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
In addition to the location of the seat memory buttons being awful, it sure would be nice if they would put some kind of braille-like, tactile indicator on each button (like one, two or three dots) so that I don't have to count from the front or back (because you sure can't see the buttons very well when sitting in the seat with the door closed!)
Yeah that's strange. Every car I've seen has the buttons on either the seat base or I would prefer on the door near the handle. You really have to crouch down and look at the buttons. I've never had an issue of accidentally pressing them as they are quite small and also require a long press to activate.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)