NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 07:30 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cycleman6
Has anyone discovered a digital clock? I know we have the analog clock in the center of climate controls but my wife is looking for a digital clock???

Don't have an NX but I would guess there is a setting to have the time displayed in the main screen.?
Old 01-05-15, 12:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Cycleman6
Has anyone discovered a digital clock? I know we have the analog clock in the center of climate controls but my wife is looking for a digital clock???
Unfortunately, the only digital clock available requires navigating to General Settings every time you start the car or are in another screen (NAV, Radio, etc.)
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_digital1.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_digital2.jpg  
Old 01-05-15, 01:07 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, one of my wife's dislikes with the car is the analog clock on the dash. I personally love it, but since it is her car it would have been nice to add a clock to the "home" screen display as well if you wanted.
Old 01-05-15, 01:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ if it's really a must, get a small stick on or vent clip digital clock that can be discreetly viewed only by the driver. We wouldn't want any visible tacky add-ons now for the passengers.
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_clock.jpg  
Old 01-05-15, 02:51 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

Thanks, that is a good idea. It isn't like it is a deal breaker for her not wanting the NX, but she wishes there were other options. I can now, at least, float this to her and see what she thinks.

Thanks!
Phil
Old 01-05-15, 05:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Large felt-lined glovebox

NX has a really deep and large nicely finished (felt-lined) glovebox. Easily fit the thick manual set, a laptop, and a kleenex box.
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_glovebox.jpg  
Old 01-06-15, 02:56 PM
Waymok
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by philwojo
Thanks, that is a good idea. It isn't like it is a deal breaker for her not wanting the NX, but she wishes there were other options. I can now, at least, float this to her and see what she thinks.

Thanks!
Phil
Sell her on the fact that all the classy cars have an analog clock! like all the Jags, and Mercedes have them!
Old 01-06-15, 02:57 PM
Waymok
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Another really interesting feature that I found was the Fog lamps on the F sports, they brighten up when you turn your wheel, and when you put your signal lights on!
Old 01-06-15, 06:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Waymok
Another really interesting feature that I found was the Fog lamps on the F sports, they brighten up when you turn your wheel, and when you put your signal lights on!
+1. There's an additional area on the side of the fog light that lights up to brighten up the road around the corner.
Old 01-07-15, 02:02 PM
BuzLteBeer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
Still not sure how I feel about this turbo spin down time. I'm wondering, is this because Lexus didn't put a big enough cooling system in teh car? Or is that we need a large aftermarket intercooler?

I've personally never seen a boosted car require that.

However, my father's 7.0L powerstroke diesel requires a spindown time (single turbo), but that is only after towing 10,000+ lbs on highway for a long period of time.

hmmm
Yeah, it gives me a little pause too. I don't think it will ultimately be something that keeps me from getting an NX when the time comes, but I can imagine that it is something that will take a lot of getting used to for me - I can easily envision myself forgetting to do it quite a bit...
Old 01-07-15, 04:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default NX Heat Up Features and Time

With frigid temps the last three days, a nice discovery is the quick NX warm-up time

Heated Steering Wheel: heat felt in 20 seconds. Full warmth in about 1 min.
Seats: heat felt within 1 min. Full warmth in about 3 mins.
Engine/Heater: within 3 mins of normal driving, engine temp is at about a quarter up, fully warmed (halfway) in about 5-6 minutes. Heater gives off some heat within this time and full heat when engine warmed.
Windshield wiper de-icer: within 2 minutes, used my wipers and windshield frost clears up more quickly. Only small negative is no dedicated button - you need to navigate to Climate and another menu to activate it.
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_climate.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_climate1.jpg  
Old 01-07-15, 10:13 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Bummer that there is no dedicated button. Locating the wiper de-icer in the climate controls doesn't seem completely intuitive to me. Probably guessed it, but what the does the last button with the filtered air do?
Old 01-08-15, 04:02 AM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
With frigid temps the last three days, a nice discovery is the quick NX warm-up time

Heated Steering Wheel: heat felt in 20 seconds. Full warmth in about 1 min.
Seats: heat felt within 1 min. Full warmth in about 3 mins.
Engine/Heater: within 3 mins of normal driving, engine temp is at about a quarter up, fully warmed (halfway) in about 5-6 minutes. Heater gives off some heat within this time and full heat when engine warmed.
Windshield wiper de-icer: within 2 minutes, used my wipers and windshield frost clears up more quickly. Only small negative is no dedicated button - you need to navigate to Climate and another menu to activate it.
I thought that if you push the rear defroster button on the dash will activate both rear and side mirrors' defroster as well as the windshield wiper de-icer area...when I used to have an older Toyota minivan that had wiper de-icer it did work....
Old 01-08-15, 08:53 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Smile S-FLOW feature - air control to front only

Originally Posted by computerwi
Bummer that there is no dedicated button. Locating the wiper de-icer in the climate controls doesn't seem completely intuitive to me. Probably guessed it, but what the does the last button with the filtered air do?
Agree - a little cumbersome; but like the RX...
In my IS and prior CT (both non-Nav versions) they have the dedicated wiper de-icer button on the bottom left of the dash where the secondary controls are, but I believe the NAV versions lose the physical button in favor of the similar menus in the NX and RX.

The feature I believe you're referring to is S-FLOW. There is also a dedicated button on the HVAC button stack for this. It's a nice convenience that enables all heated or AC air flow focused entirely on the front passengers if it's only you and a front passenger in the car.
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_sflow1.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_sflow2.jpg  
Old 01-08-15, 09:12 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Agree - a little cumbersome; but like the RX...
In my IS and prior CT (both non-Nav versions) they have the dedicated wiper de-icer button on the bottom left of the dash where the secondary controls are, but I believe the NAV versions lose the physical button in favor of the similar menus in the NX and RX.

The feature I believe you're referring to is S-FLOW. There is also a dedicated button on the HVAC button stack for this. It's a nice convenience that enables all heated or AC air flow focused entirely on the front passengers if it's only you and a front passenger in the car.
S-FLOW is available in NX sold in Canada? That is nice. Lexus has decided to skip S-FLOW in IS probably because of cost as S-FLOW is available in IS (and GS) for some other countries.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)