NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Headrest Too Close / Uncomfortable w/Proposed Solution (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-15, 03:58 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by gloamin
But some of us don't like the seat leaning back a little. I never noticed this problem when I took the NX for a test drive, but even when I sit in my car, my head doesn't hit the head protector, but I think what happens is that my brain knows where it's at and therefore kicks my head forward. I feel the tightness in my shoulders and neck after I drive for a half hour or more. It's frustrating. I guess I'll have to stop in and visit the dealer. I've tried to blame it on other things, but it's the car.
You probably saw the post above on the IS F Sport Headrest being a viable solution, but at a premium price. Ask the dealer to work something out for you on the IS Headrests or as an alternative, check your local scrap yard.

I just checked online in Canada, and one IS F Sport headrest is $538 CAD, half of what my SA ballparked it to be at 1K (unless he meant it for both). This would be around $400 USD which might be reasonable if it means finally enjoying and being comfortable in your NX.

http://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/p/Lex...1053590C0.html

http://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/a/Lex...S/8918430.html

Something to think about.
Old 09-23-15, 07:54 AM
gloamin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will give that some thought. The first thing I'll do is haggle with the dealer about it. I'm leasing so I'm not sure if that will be an advantage or not. Thank you for the links, I appreciate it.
Old 12-16-15, 10:07 AM
ajdenver
Driver School Candidate

Have you found a solution for your issue. I am having the same experience.
Old 01-12-16, 06:15 PM
HillaryMae
Driver School Candidate

Default Major problems with NX headrest

I'm having the same issue. Major neck and back problems. Just started a 3 yr. lease. Miserable! Took less than a week of short commutes back and forth from work to cause major muscle tightness and spasms. I'm now driving with the headrest on backwards. It provides no comfort or support, but I figure it may provide some protection if I'm involved in a collision/rear ended. My headrest doesn't even adjust in height. I have the 2016 NX 200t. Has anyone found a solution!?!
Old 01-12-16, 06:28 PM
ajdenver
Driver School Candidate

Default NX headrest issue.

Originally Posted by HillaryMae
I'm having the same issue. Major neck and back problems. Just started a 3 yr. lease. Miserable! Took less than a week of short commutes back and forth from work to cause major muscle tightness and spasms. I'm now driving with the headrest on backwards. It provides no comfort or support, but I figure it may provide some protection if I'm involved in a collision/rear ended. My headrest doesn't even adjust in height. I have the 2016 NX 200t. Has anyone found a solution!?!
I went to a Relax your Back store and got a back support with memory foam of some kind that leans against the entire back of the seat. Just get the back part, not the seat part. It pushes you forward just enough that the headrest is ok and your shoulders don't sink into the curve of the back. That's what I think is the real problem.
Old 04-12-16, 06:39 PM
akaido
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you guys sure USA models F Sport have front/back tilt. I just got mine 2 days ago and the headrest does not tilt or move front/back.
Old 04-12-16, 07:07 PM
akaido
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never mind, found the adjustment, but at its farthest back position still tilt too forward for our preference. oh well...
Old 06-16-16, 09:26 AM
jdigga99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by akaido
never mind, found the adjustment, but at its farthest back position still tilt too forward for our preference. oh well...
Unfortunately after less than a week of ownership i'm starting to find this to be an issue as well...
Old 06-28-18, 01:59 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I was annoyed with the position of the headrest as well. Ended up tilting the backrest back a bit to compensate. Seems to work alright.
Old 01-02-19, 07:15 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

2019 F-Sport. I was able to click it four times but for the life of me can’t figure out how to get it back.

Also, the notches on the posts seem to be on the wrong side as it doesn’t stay up when I raise it.
Old 01-02-19, 12:34 PM
slypx
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ross7777
2019 F-Sport. I was able to click it four times but for the life of me can’t figure out how to get it back.

Also, the notches on the posts seem to be on the wrong side as it doesn’t stay up when I raise it.
Try to go for a fifth one... it will release the tension and bring it back to position 1
Old 01-02-19, 02:00 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Not sure if this will help anyone or what it may look like but my parents bought a new CRV and had the same issue. We switched the headrests around where they now lean against what was the back of the headrest. Just enough difference to make it comfortable again.
Old 02-01-22, 12:18 PM
Poshkat
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Headrest in NX 300h (2021) VERY UNCOMFORTABLE

I agree that the headrest is super uncomfortable. The way it is positioned at an extreme forward angle that causes you to bend your neck forward. This causes neck and back pain. I have never been more uncomfortable in any car! It was suggested that I remove the headrest and turn it around. I haven't tried it yet, but I hope that will solve the problem. I'm not picky at all, so for me to complain is saying a lot. I just can't believe that Lexus hasn't received any customer complaints, and that after all this time, Lexus hasn't altered the design.
The following users liked this post:
joe97nsx (05-24-22)
Old 02-01-22, 12:21 PM
Poshkat
Driver School Candidate

Same here.... this is still the case in 2022 on my Nx300h
Old 05-24-22, 11:25 AM
joe97nsx
2nd gear

Default 2019 nx 300

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
As luck has it, there was an NX non-F Sport in the showroom! A good thing I also brought the IS F Sport headrest since this is the one that results in the most comfort. The NX F Sport's bulkier width negates the gains of being in the back-most position resulting in a similar position to the fixed NX headrest. In short, pics speak volumes and I also personally sat in each of the three scenarios. Results:

1. NX headrest: head touching - head feels tilted, neck is in an uncomfortable position.
2. NX F Sport headrest: about 1/8-1/4" space improvement - not enough - still felt bothersome.
3. IS F Sport headrest: no touching since it is further back by about a more comfortable 3/4".

Hope this helps anyone who is bothered by the NX's headrest. On a downside though, in speaking with the SA this morning, these headrests are pricey ($1K each in Canada ) but you never know your dealer could work something out.

PS, this is an interesting discovery, right?

Thanks.
I don't know if there are any changes between the NX200 and the NX300 model but I have a 2019 NX300 and I find it hard to believe that Lexus would insist on this angle for so many model years even if it means the driver has to be the hunchback of notre dame in order to feel comfortable. Hopefully the IS F-Sport headrest works on mine because I'm ordering it sight unseen.

Quick Reply: NX Headrest Too Close / Uncomfortable w/Proposed Solution (Merged Threads)