NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Headrest Too Close / Uncomfortable w/Proposed Solution (Merged Threads)

Old 12-28-14, 10:05 PM
lexusaht
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NX Headrest Too Close / Uncomfortable w/Proposed Solution (Merged Threads)

we test drove both RX and NX recently. my wife is short and she has an issue with the headrest being too forward. Salesman said that headrest cannot be adjusted back. We have previous generation rx350 and headrest pivots back, very comfortable. Those who have brought NX, how do you all feel about the headrest?
The following users liked this post:
Poshkat (02-01-22)
Old 12-29-14, 05:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

hmmm.... on the F-Sport, you should be able to position it in 4 increments like on the IS. Not sure about the non-F-Sport.

What model did you check?

Also, any chance she can be comfortable if 1. seat is reclined slightly more back; or 2. headrest is raised so the lower less obtrusive portion of the headrest is lined up with her head?
Attached Thumbnails NX Headrest Too Close / Uncomfortable w/Proposed Solution (Merged Threads)-nxseat.jpg  
Old 12-30-14, 06:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^I'm confirming the F-Sport seat headrest is also adjustable in four positions fore/aft (like the IS) besides up/down, while the non F-Sport's seat is unfortunately not adjustable fore/aft. I validated this last night myself with a showroom model of a non F-Sport 200t at my dealer.
Old 07-14-15, 01:44 AM
gloamin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy NX 200t headrest too far forward

I've had my NX for two weeks and am having a difficult time finding a comfortable position of my seat as the headrest seems immoveable. After driving, I have tight neck and shoulder muscles and feel as if I've been on a racetrack all day. I'm leasing this car and now wonder if it is going to give me orthopedic problems if I can't find a solution. Anyone else feeling like their neck is going forward? I'm not a sloucher and stand about 5'6". I'm totally in love with this car and hate to think of 3 years of misery in its seats.
Old 07-14-15, 02:25 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gloamin
I've had my NX for two weeks and am having a difficult time finding a comfortable position of my seat as the headrest seems immoveable. After driving, I have tight neck and shoulder muscles and feel as if I've been on a racetrack all day. I'm leasing this car and now wonder if it is going to give me orthopedic problems if I can't find a solution. Anyone else feeling like their neck is going forward? I'm not a sloucher and stand about 5'6". I'm totally in love with this car and hate to think of 3 years of misery in its seats.
While the headrest seems close to the back of the head due to the forward tilt, we are not experiencing what you are describing. We DO hit the back of our heads on the headrest from time to time (which I can't remember doing very often on prior vehicles), though nothing too disruptive or uncomfortable. For reference, my wife is your height.
Old 07-14-15, 06:31 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The F Sport has 4-way adjustable headrests (up/down & forward/backward) -- not sure if all models have this option???

Have you tried pushing the headrest forward (from the back seat) ? It should easily move forward with a couple of position clicks, and if you push all the way forward it should release and move to the most far back position. Of course, if it doesn't easily move forward, then it would appear you don't have the 4-way adjustability.

Good luck!

dCota
The following users liked this post:
Poshkat (02-01-22)
Old 07-14-15, 09:05 AM
ronslexus
Driver

Default Headrest

I have similar problems. It doesn't bother me that much but the headrest is very forward compared to my IS250 and most other cars I have owned.

I also wonder if it can be adjusted. I do not have the F model.
Old 07-14-15, 07:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Unfortunately no adjustment on the regular NX. Only fore/aft is available on the F Sport seat headrests.

It's a long shot, but what if the F Sport headrest fits in the regular seat? Note pic below measurements including the single notch. If someone can, post a similar pic and measurements of the regular one. If measurements match, it would be great to swap them so you can enjoy your NX. Work with your dealer they may be able to help but you're limited to a black (or red) headrest... Personally, black can work even with a non-black interior since the seats have some black color in it.

I'm also showing IS F Sport's headrest (black one and it's a little thinner) which has the fore/aft adjustment and fits in the NX's F Sport seats. You can also consider this if it may be easier to obtain but colors are also limited to black, gray, red.

Hope this works. Keep is posted!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-14-15 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-15-15, 02:31 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I personally have no problem with the head rests. I don't even know they are there, but I'm 6'-1" if that matters.

Here's my attempt to be corrado. My non F headrests. The width appears OK but the depth is way off. Hope this helps.

Old 07-15-15, 07:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^ Thanks Roger. The separation between the stalks is the same 6 inches on center while the notch is also the same on the left stalk. This matches both headrests and a good sign to try even if the stalk is longer and notch is in a different "elevation". It may just be because the non-F Sport headrest is shorter in height than the F Sport one.
Old 07-15-15, 10:34 PM
gloamin
Driver School Candidate

You all have been really helpful and I'm going to measure and also see if the dealer will work with me on this. While driving today, I noticed that my head doesn't really touch the headrest when I'm sitting, but it's when I've been at the wheel for awhile and I tend to lean my head back ever so slightly. It may be that I have to learn to adjust to it, but first I'll follow all the advice in this thread. Thanks to all of you.

Edited: I do not have the F Sport
Old 07-15-15, 10:37 PM
gloamin
Driver School Candidate

I don't have the F Sport and am having the same problem.

Here's some comments from that thread I began:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9114995
Old 07-16-15, 10:35 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I do have an F Sport, but I never use the headrest so it isn't an issue. I am 6'2. Best of luck with it, and hope you still get one ! It's a sweet ride
Old 07-16-15, 11:29 AM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

I'm short -- 5'2" -- and did notice the headrest being a bit forward. Have the non-F sport so you can't adjust it. It was bothersome at first, but after having the car for a month, I have gotten used to it and don't notice it any longer. Of course, I don't commute in it every day, but I do drive it every day (i.e., to the store, gym). We also take it on long drives (3 hours plus) on weekends.
Old 07-17-15, 07:12 AM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusaht
we test drove both RX and NX recently. my wife is short and she has an issue with the headrest being too forward. Salesman said that headrest cannot be adjusted back. We have previous generation rx350 and headrest pivots back, very comfortable. Those who have brought NX, how do you all feel about the headrest?

My wife is short too. After she adjusted the lumbar back, move it all the way out. Doing this will push the driver out a little so the head will fit better with the head rest as well as both side of the seat wrap around her shoulders problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NX Headrest Too Close / Uncomfortable w/Proposed Solution (Merged Threads)