NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Turbo Engine Cool Down

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 09:52 AM
kchnew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@computerwi

my hardcopy of the user manual coming with the vehicle purchase also says during the "normal city driving", idling time not necessary.

However, when I downloaded the updated softcopy of the manual from Lexus website, it says Approximately 20 seconds for "normal city driving".

Old 10-20-16, 01:57 PM
mindanalyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After long trips [or travelling at high speeds] I always let my X3 idle for a couple of minutes before turning off the engine. I do that as a precaution although I read the my vehicle has an electrical cooling system for the turbo
Old 10-20-16, 02:53 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

If I have multiple trips during the day, I will park and let it idle while I put on the sunshade and/or gather my belongings.

Once I come home and park in the garage, I will let the car idle while I walk out to check my [snail] mail box.
Old 10-22-16, 03:24 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

This reminds me of back in the 90's Volvo had the light turbo 5 cylinder engines which after you shut off the igjition, the engine will continue to run for a few minutes and then shut off in order to cool the turbo unit. I thought it was too crazy for me so I went for the Volvo nonturbo straight 6 cylinder engine found in the 960 series instead.

Don't know why Lexus does nit do this??? Maybe to achieve higher mpg?

Originally Posted by kitabel
The fan doesn't do anything for the turbo, and the effect is much too small and slow to reduce the temperature of the water in the turbo's center bearing housing.
The water pump does, and keeping the water (if any) circulating for a short bit is helpful but as said only really necessary if the turbine section is very hot (as in boost just before shut down). A turbo that has been idling with vacuum in the compressor is safe. If you were coming to a stop after a 1/4 mile pass I'd let it run for 5 minutes.

WRT "my sales rep and others at the dealer not once mentioned a cool down process for the NX which leads me to believe it's not as critical as it sounds."
Yes, it's critical: it's critical to their sales commission that you not hear anything that will prevent you from buying the car. Add this to "they haven't the slightest idea or interest in how it works". My father discovered 70 years ago that salesmen do not even read the brochures they give you.

WRT "boost is low, typically in the negative to +2000 psi (max is 15,000)". I assume that's a typo with the decimal missing, but what are the real numbers, 2 psi and 15 psi?
Old 10-23-16, 08:04 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This turbo is integrated into the engine and Lexus designed and manufactured . Coking is a problem with old oil cooled turbo's this style turbo especially in winter months doesn't need any special treatment. After a long summer run might be a good idea ....the new synthetic oils are no where near as susceptible to coking.
It would be listed , posted on the engine bay in your manual all over the place , if it were critical.

This turbo setup is 100% Lexus all in house. Completely different animal. I'm sure they accounted for grandma and owners with zero turbo experience to make it far less of a problem.

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/2015-...portant-decade