NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

DIY: LED Trunk Light Upgrade - 2015 NX 200T F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 11:34 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Just an FYI: I too was concerned I'd screw it up when changing out the lights, so I took it to my dealer. The dealer charged me $10 US total (I supplied the LED lights)....it was well worth the piece of mind.
Old 01-29-18, 03:16 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

I just checked my wife's 2018. Popped out the rear lights and they are already an LED. I kinda wish they were just normal bulbs because I could replace them with brighter LEDs... the single factory led is not bright enough to me...

Not sure if 2018 is the year they switched to LEDS, but pretty much every light on the inside is led from what I gathered/looked at. Figured I'd save someone some time if they were trying to change rear cargo lights like I did.

-Nigel
Old 01-29-18, 08:05 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

that would explain why there's no on/off switch on the 2018 cargo lights

I would bet though, that the vanity lights when you lower the visor aren't led and you can change those...although those are the ones you probably don't use much
Old 01-29-18, 09:16 PM
nigel821
Racer

Actually looking at the pictures again, the cargo connector looks identical to what is on our NX. In theory one could purchase the rear normal cargo lamps and then put in their own LED bulbs and it should all be plug and play. Which would be brighter than the factory single LED. I MIGHT try this.

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...330-58010.html

Appears to be the normal non LED version of the cargo light. I'll update if I do.

-Nigel
Old 10-28-22, 12:23 AM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
Actually looking at the pictures again, the cargo connector looks identical to what is on our NX. In theory one could purchase the rear normal cargo lamps and then put in their own LED bulbs and it should all be plug and play. Which would be brighter than the factory single LED. I MIGHT try this.

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...330-58010.html

Appears to be the normal non LED version of the cargo light. I'll update if I do.

-Nigel
I apologize in advance for bringing back a dead thread but I must know... How did you remove your trunk LED lights?? Mine is also a 2018 NX300 and I've tried a plastic trim pry tool, it doesn't even fit into that tight gap for me to have any leverage to pry. I didn't want to force it too much but I assume you used something thinner to wedge between the light assembly and the plastic trim?

I've got some new LED lights that's plug and play that uses 20 LEDs from iJDMToy. Hopefully a lot brighter than the stock single LED.
Old 10-28-22, 02:11 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by DaJoDJ
I apologize in advance for bringing back a dead thread but I must know... How did you remove your trunk LED lights?? Mine is also a 2018 NX300 and I've tried a plastic trim pry tool, it doesn't even fit into that tight gap for me to have any leverage to pry. I didn't want to force it too much but I assume you used something thinner to wedge between the light assembly and the plastic trim?

I've got some new LED lights that's plug and play that uses 20 LEDs from iJDMToy. Hopefully a lot brighter than the stock single LED.
It's been so long but I can't remember if youput the pry tool in the left and pry left to right, or put it in the right side and pry right to left...etc. If you go the opposite way of what it should you run the risk of breaking the little tab on the light assembly.

You can see the tab here on the back of the light.:

-Nigel
Old 10-28-22, 06:28 AM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

On the right (passenger in the USA) side, you pry on the right edge of the lamp to remove it (refer to attached images). I used a scrap piece of plastic taped to the panel as a fulcrum. If you look carefully at the lens while the light is on, one side will be darker (as indicated by a red ellipse in the second image). Always pry at the opposing edge. Pushing the pry tool inward also helps to release the retainer.

My recollection is the left side lamp was oriented such that I also pried on the right edge, which was the edge closest to the front of the vehicle.

Old 10-28-22, 11:38 AM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by n0v8or
On the right (passenger in the USA) side, you pry on the right edge of the lamp to remove it (refer to attached images). I used a scrap piece of plastic taped to the panel as a fulcrum. If you look carefully at the lens while the light is on, one side will be darker (as indicated by a red ellipse in the second image). Always pry at the opposing edge. Pushing the pry tool inward also helps to release the retainer.

My recollection is the left side lamp was oriented such that I also pried on the right edge, which was the edge closest to the front of the vehicle.

Cheers! Thank you for the photos and explanation, this helped a lot. I remember doing this to my 2016 Lexus IS trunk light before and I think I broke a clip while doing it. I'm assuming these light fixtures are exactly identical of the IS...

I'm wondering if it would be easier if I were to access the light from behind the trim piece, just push it out from behind.
Old 10-28-22, 02:13 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Numerous other trim pieces must be removed before the panel can be manipulated to create a space for your hand to reach in from behind. On the left side, you could try removing the fuel door emergency access panel to see if you can access the lamp from the rear that way.

Once you have mastered the front side lamp removal technique. you will be able to have them off in 30 seconds (each). Here are some tips to reduce the chance of accidental breakage:
* Preheat the right side of the lamp housing with a hair dryer set on "low". This makes the plastic less brittle and easier to flex without damage.
* When inserting the putty knife (or equivalent), concentrate the greater force to push the tab back as opposed to prying the lens out.
* Once the right edge is released, slide the entire lamp housing to the right to remove it.

The "official" Lexus instructions are attached below for reference.

The following users liked this post:
DaJoDJ (10-28-22)
Old 02-16-23, 09:58 PM
Ghiggs662
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cb80923
I changed out the Super Hot, Super Dim, fuse lights in the rear end of the NX for LED strip lights. Here is my DIY incase you want to do something similar.

I somehow skipped using the number 3, but it is in order...

-cb
CB,

I acquired a 2007 is350 with a lot of dings from a hailstorm. It looks like the owner at the time replaced the damaged glass and one headlight. The rear glass replacement has the defrosting wires but it doesn't work, and neither does the trunk light. Whoever did the glass work did not hook up the defroster or the light, they simply cut the wire, at least for the trunk light. I've been searching posts for some time and happened on yours this evening looking for a reliable wiring diagram, in particular for the defroster. I'm going to copy your solution for the trunk lights, and think maybe you have some guidance regarding the defroster wiring. I hope you get this. Thanks for your help. GRH