NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Real World Fuel Economy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 06:08 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's my mileage so far in my NX.

During my first two fill-ups, I drove in ECO. I switched to Normal since then. Currently, I'm at 68% city and 32% highway.
Old 12-17-15, 06:12 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by Candiwsc
I just purchased a 2016 NX 200T AWD Sport, and it gets terrible mileage when in Eco Mode- only between 9-15mpg! I drive 80% hwy, 20% city, and have been very light on the pedal the whole way, even driving 10 miles under the speed limit at times, to save on fuel. I thought "Eco Mode" was supposed to get you better mileage than normal or sport, but apparently not? I switched it to the Normal mode, and it now gets 15-20mpg, but no better. I am using the recommended premium fuel also. This is unacceptable. Has anyone else experienced this same issue? When I told the dealer, he said "it can take up to 1000 miles to start getting the average "24mpg" that is advertised on the spec sheet." That's a long time to wait and a lot of money to have to pay for poor mileage capability. Has anyone else been told that there is a "break-in" period for these vehicles? In fact, my 4-year-old Toyota Highlander which is almost twice as large, gets better mileage than this vehicle! I'm sadly disappointed.
May I suggest to look at the fuel efficiency statistics for other NXs at this link. That link is for 2015s but you can easily pull up the efficiency data for 2016s.
Old 12-17-15, 08:20 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I just purchased a 2016 NX 200T AWD Sport, and it gets terrible mileage when in Eco Mode- only between 9-15mpg! I drive 80% hwy, 20% city, and have been very light on the pedal the whole way, even driving 10 miles under the speed limit at times, to save on fuel. I thought "Eco Mode" was supposed to get you better mileage than normal or sport, but apparently not? I switched it to the Normal mode, and it now gets 15-20mpg, but no better. I am using the recommended premium fuel also. This is unacceptable. Has anyone else experienced this same issue? When I told the dealer, he said "it can take up to 1000 miles to start getting the average "24mpg" that is advertised on the spec sheet." That's a long time to wait and a lot of money to have to pay for poor mileage capability. Has anyone else been told that there is a "break-in" period for these vehicles? In fact, my 4-year-old Toyota Highlander which is almost twice as large, gets better mileage than this vehicle! I'm sadly disappointed.
Fuel economy is not great but then no turbo is. They perform well on standardised testing hence manufacturers moving to turbos but in reality fuel use in no better than a small 6 and they require premium.
Old 12-17-15, 08:25 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Fuel economy is not great but then no turbo is. They perform well on standardised testing hence manufacturers moving to turbos but in daily driving, fuel use in no better than a small 6. They require premium also.

I'm finding fuel consumption double the listed in Australia when you flog the thing. In 50% highway and city, my normal use, I'm getting 50% above listed.

The Canadian fuel standards are most accurate.

If your worried about fuel the hybrid was always going to be the option.
Old 01-06-16, 12:20 PM
fishcak3s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the car for about 6 months now with around 7000km on it, I set my car in eco mode most of the time and I'm getting around 11.5L/100km at the moment with 80% city driving (about 30% of time stuck in traffic)

I do have my golf clubs and my pushcart in the trunk at all times though.
Old 01-06-16, 04:55 PM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
GREAT idea. We bought a '06 Highlander Hybrid due (almost exclusively) on the 31MPG fuel economy only to learn 6 months in that we would NEVER see those figures. There was some type of legal issue going on that "allowed" Toyota to "re-state" the figures to ...26MPG and we have averaged close to that figure but it was VERY disappointing to learn that NOBODY was able to obtian the 31MPG that was originally "promised" on the original window sticker (that we still have in the filing cabinet). Subscribed
The sad disappointing thing is that they most likely get away with stating this because under the most ideal conditions possible which none of us will ever drive, using non ethanol fuel going down hill they achieved it. Like is said I got as bad as 15.4 mpg in a 4 cyl Rav and a high of 27.1. So many many variables are taken into account. But the clowns in engineering? Ya. They don't care
Old 01-06-16, 05:03 PM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmartin061
The sad disappointing thing is that they most likely get away with stating this because under the most ideal conditions possible which none of us will ever drive, using non ethanol fuel going down hill they achieved it. Like is said I got as bad as 15.4 mpg in a 4 cyl Rav and a high of 27.1. So many many variables are taken into account. But the clowns in engineering? Ya. They don't care
Also rember that the sweet spot for hwy crusing is 55-60 mph. Anything over that your car works harder to cut through the air and that tipping point of worse gas mileage as well. Where I live speed limit is 75 I drive 75-80 all freeway with non ethanol gas. 23-24ish mpg. With no head wind. Drop down to 60ish and that will go up to 26-27 ethanol fuel subtract 3 mpgs maybe 4
Old 02-16-16, 03:35 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if this has been discussed but has anyone noticed that the NX really guzzles gas at idle or at a stop?

I've learned not to warm up my car except for when it's extremely cold outside.
Old 02-16-16, 05:39 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I don't know if this has been discussed but has anyone noticed that the NX really guzzles gas at idle or at a stop?

I've learned not to warm up my car except for when it's extremely cold outside.
Define guzzles? You mean you see the average mpg drop?
Old 02-17-16, 01:50 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Swacer
Define guzzles? You mean you see the average mpg drop?
Yes...when I'm idling my average mpg drops significantly.
Old 02-17-16, 04:50 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That's normal.

The average is overall a useless numbers. Its only a gutcheck number.

It depends strongly on when you reset it. if you recently reset it, and are now sitting, its constantly entering a 0mpg value into the average, and it will drop like a rock. If you have driven 200miles and then sit, you'll notice that it barely drops.

You have to keep in mind that it isn't saying "at my current consumption, I would get x mpg" No, its simply taking an average and entering a 0 miles traveled per x volumetric flow of fuel.

Heck, my Camaro can say 54mpg if I coast in neutral down a hill after getting gas lol Then say 9mpg as I sit in traffic around town lol

If you're concerned, do the math at a gas station, don't waste the concern on what that average number says.
Old 02-17-16, 10:11 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Wait. Help me to understand...
1) Your car is burning gas.
2) Your car is not moving.
Why would you expect the miles-per-gallon to stay the same?
Old 02-17-16, 08:04 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Wait. Help me to understand...
1) Your car is burning gas.
2) Your car is not moving.
Why would you expect the miles-per-gallon to stay the same?
That's not what I expect. I expect it to be a slow decline.

It declines way too fast for my tastes.
Old 02-25-16, 08:36 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This past weekend took went on a 5 hr road trip from Houston to New Orleans. Keep it in "Normal" mode and it showed that I was averaging 25 MPG.
Old 02-25-16, 11:54 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My latest to-date stats:

Quick Reply: Real World Fuel Economy Thread