NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX200t vs GLA 45

Old 11-22-14, 06:00 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NX200t vs GLA 45

Hey guys have a delimma, my wife is intrested in the nx200t fsport while im trying to lean more towards the gla 45 amg. They are about the same size and the nx200t has alot to offer technology wise. The gla 45 doesnt have as much tech but has alot of power under the hood 2.0t 355 hp vs 2.0t 235hp. Look wise i really like the gla 45 it just looks like a better poportion cross over. The only thing my wife dosent like is the interior in the gla. The interior in the nx is really nice i actually like it but for like 3 grand more i rather have the extra power LOL. What do you guys think???
Old 11-22-14, 07:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

You're probably aware the NX is a compact CUV while the GLA is a sub-compact CUV competing with the BMW X1 and Audi Q3, so not in the same class. For perspective , the GLA is 9 inches shorter in length, 2 inches narrower, and 6 inches lower in height than the NX and all interior dimensions are much smaller as well. Honestly don't know how this vehicle is even classified a crossover since it's the height and size of a Toyota Matrix. The GLA shares much of its platform, interior and powertrain with the small CLA and A-class hatchback (not avail in N.A.). In short, the GLA personally is not for me due to the small dimensions and styling make it look too much like a hatchback and not enough CUV/SUV.

However, styling aside, for you, if interior room and cargo is not a priority and this will be your car, go for the GLA as I understand the performance appeal of the 45 AMG, though from the reviews the ride is stiff (expected) and can become tiresome as a daily driver. If this vehicle will mostly be for the wife, let her choose the NX - remember happy wife, happy life!

Good luck.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-22-14 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 08:11 PM
doomdealer
Driver School Candidate

I too have considered the GLA series in comparison to the NX, though I was mostly looking at the GLA 250 series.

The GLA 45 AMG is a completely different class vehicle compared to the NX. The GLA 45 is quite a bit smaller than the NX, but the performance should be *SIGNIFICANTLY* better than the NX given its extra engine horsepower.

In the end though, it's a trade-off between size and performance. The NX is more practical for my use, given that it has better cargo room. The GLA 45 AMG will be a much more "fun" vehicle... if you can live with the limited space.

I also considered the reliability aspects of the vehicles. It seems like as a brand overall, Lexus seems to be better in this category than MB. However, since both the NX and GLA are new vehicles, things might be a bit different.

Overall, I do think the maintenance cost of the NX should be a bit lower than the GLA 45 AMG.
Old 11-22-14, 08:31 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GLA looks nice and is probably is, but if the car is for your wife she is going to be driving it and it has to be comfortable and convenient for her. If you want a racier car get it for yourself! Have you seen the Consumer Report review of the CLA?
Old 11-22-14, 11:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The NX will compete with the GLK (new gen coming soon) from a size, pricing and segment standpoint.
Old 11-22-14, 11:59 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife was also interested in GLA so we went to the MB dealer yesterday. GLA is just too small for us. Not much room in the rear and cargo space. I am sure AMG version is fun to drive but sacrifice in utility is not worth it for us.

Still anxiously waiting for the chance to test drive NX before I can make a decision.
Old 11-23-14, 04:17 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was really excited about the GLA release (and the NX release too) since we have been talking about downsizing my wife's daily drivers s the RX is just too big for what we need and somehow the front bumper keeps getting scraped by various, unknown objects (like the frame of our garage door ). Hoping the NX's smaller dimensions do the trick without sacrificing too much in the luxury department.

We went to see the GLA for a quick minute a few weeks ago. I needed to get a feel from my wife if it would even be a contender.

She loved the look and the interior but I purposefully parked right next to the GLA with my sedan and the car was about the same height. That killed the deal for her. She absolutely prefers the higher sitting position and I think that is where the GLA, X1, etc. miss their mark. So no go on the GLA because she wasn't be able to have the higher seating position. She noticed it right away without me even mentioning it so I knew it was pretty obvious.

Otherwise it's a cute little ute with some style. Not a bad buggy but make sure your wife is ok with the drive height if it's going to be her daily driver. Like above: Happy wife, happy life!!
Old 11-23-14, 08:05 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

You guys are right, this will be mostly for my wife to drive as much as i love the gla45. I rather have have a happy wife and get the nx if thats what she really wants.
Old 11-23-14, 12:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by GSTONY
You guys are right, this will be mostly for my wife to drive as much as i love the gla45. I rather have have a happy wife and get the nx if thats what she really wants.
Get the NX F-Sport Series 2 and work something out with your wife on mods if it interests you.

The NX will mostly be my wife's, but I'm getting some visual enhancements done with her blessing

Here's a small preview
Attached Thumbnails NX200t vs GLA 45-nxwheel.jpg  
Old 11-23-14, 01:32 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Get the NX F-Sport Series 2 and work something out with your wife on mods if it interests you.

The NX will mostly be my wife's, but I'm getting some visual enhancements done with her blessing

Here's a small preview
Hey corrado nice wheels man!! what are they and what size did you get? Ima try to convince her, im all about modding. My wife is pretty dead set on the the nx fsport series 2 in nebula grey with red interior. I will throw on my gs fsport wheels on to nx and see how they look.
Old 11-27-14, 11:24 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The GLA seems more similar to the CT Lexus in height and size.