NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Is NX a copy of RAV4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 01:00 PM
athiker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m1964
before buying the RX, I test-drove the 4-cyl. Venza - totally different from RX in ride quality.
I didn't drive the RX, just the NX. We did sit in one so I know the size comparison. Can you compare the drive/ride for me? Dealer seemed willing to deal on RXs...had a lot in stock. Also, my wife liked the look of the Venza but we have not driven it....how was it? thx
Old 02-17-15, 05:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by athiker
I didn't drive the RX, just the NX. We did sit in one so I know the size comparison. Can you compare the drive/ride for me? Dealer seemed willing to deal on RXs...had a lot in stock. Also, my wife liked the look of the Venza but we have not driven it....how was it? thx
m1964 can definitely chime.

I owned a Venza V6 FWD and RX.

The Venza's fit/finish and interior materials are fine with notably more hard plastics and lower quality materials than either the RX and NX. The Venza is also not as quiet and engine not as smooth thanks to fewer sound deadening materials (compared to NX and RX). Finally, the Venza's ride is the firmest and occasionally harsh over larger road imperfections compared to both NX and RX. However, same V6 engine/power and a lighter weight than the RX makes it the quickest of the three.

For the RX vs NX, see: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...omparison.html

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-17-15 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 09:09 AM
athiker
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
m1964 can definitely chime.

I owned a Venza V6 FWD and RX.

The Venza's fit/finish and interior materials are fine with notably more hard plastics and lower quality materials than either the RX and NX. The Venza is also not as quiet and engine not as smooth thanks to fewer sound deadening materials (compared to NX and RX). Finally, the Venza's ride is the firmest and occasionally harsh over larger road imperfections compared to both NX and RX. However, same V6 engine/power and a lighter weight than the RX makes it the quickest of the three.

For the RX vs NX, see: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...omparison.html
Thanks Corrado, appreciate the info. I think I have my heart set on an NX now, just a matter of finding the one with the options we want and price.
Old 05-15-16, 05:51 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I tried the RAV4 hybrid several times and really wanted to buy it. It is an excellent car and has an excellent electronic safety package, including bird eyeview cameras (not available on the NX yet). However the interior was too plain for me. The dashboard does not show any luxury and the non availability of leather (only Softex) was a no-no for me. So I bought an NX-300h loaded instead. I wish I could have got a higher luxury equipped Rav4 Hybrid but obviously Toyota does not want to undercut the NX sales!
Old 05-16-16, 09:54 AM
H.C.I.C.
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter is the same as the 2016 RAV 4

I know the Oil filter is the same as the RAV 4 as I looked up both part numbers.

I've been trying to look for the Toyota air filter replacement, but none of the part numbers match with Lexus's part numbers.

Maybe someone who knows can chime in.
Old 05-16-16, 10:03 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by athiker
I think the idle engine noise was less as well and you don't have to mess with that start/stop thing BMW has going on.
What is this?
Old 05-16-16, 01:02 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pinhead
ahhh owners trying to justify their purchase
What do you mean? I doubt anyone who chose the NX over the Rav4 regrets it. They're really nothing alike.
Old 05-18-16, 02:55 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Earman
I tried the RAV4 hybrid several times and really wanted to buy it. It is an excellent car and has an excellent electronic safety package, including bird eyeview cameras (not available on the NX yet).
My NX has a panoramic view camera. I don't understand why you Americans don't get it.

Actually, I find that American cars aren't very well spec-ed compared to the ones we get here in Australia. But we do pay a much higher price so I'd say it's the same.
Old 05-18-16, 11:50 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
What do you mean? I doubt anyone who chose the NX over the Rav4 regrets it. They're really nothing alike.
+1.

My dad had a latest gen Rav4 and it's nowhere near the levels of interior quality, ride quality, NVH, , power, and overall craftsmaship that the NX has. The $10K premium is well justified.
Old 05-18-16, 02:57 PM
My1stV8GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My parents drove a 2008 Rav 4 Limited for 8 years until this January when they traded it in for a base model NX 200t. This thread is funny because they both refer to the new car as "RAV" still.... To them it's the new Rav I guess... lol
Old 05-20-16, 10:40 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
+1.

My dad had a latest gen Rav4 and it's nowhere near the levels of interior quality, ride quality, NVH, , power, and overall craftsmaship that the NX has. The $10K premium is well justified.
The Rav4 was recently updated in Australia. The central LCD screen, safety suite and switch gear is lifted from the NX. The 'Savageese' review shows the undercarriage is identical between the 2 vehicles.

The Australian media describe the Rav interior as Lexus like. The Rav's 2.5 l 4 is more fuel efficient then the NX and uses standard fuel while only giving up about 1 second 0-60 with no turbo lag. It also has a huge cargo area.

Difference in price between a fully loaded NX VS Rav is US$25000 in Australia!

In all honesty, if the Updated Rav4 was available when I was looking at the NX, I would have purchased the RAV.
Old 05-20-16, 10:47 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by miop4000
In all honesty, if the Updated Rav4 was available when I was looking at the NX, I would have purchased the RAV.
Hmm... I was shopping around recently for a second SUV in our family and I don't find the RAV4 to be anything near like my NX. Interiors looks completely different. Honestly, the only thing that is the same is the cruise control stalk.

We ended up getting the top of the range Subaru Forester.
Old 05-21-16, 05:46 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

As an owner of multiple RX's in the past and a current ES, along with a range of Toyota products, this car "feels" like it has more RAV4 DNA than typical Lexus DNA. It is a very different car for Lexus. I have never had a Lexus that exhibited so much engine noise or road noise (I have not seen the wind noise that some on here have commented on). The padding on the floor is thin, it doesn't have the double door seals or fabric fender liners like the other current Lexus products use for sound isolation. It is easy to see how many people will naturally compare it more to a RAV4 than say a new RX.

There are obviously many things that distinguish this car from a RAV4. Just start with the outward appearance. Toyota has made the RAV4 very bland. Look at the rear hatch. With the exception of the turbo engine, I would bet the drivetrains have more shared parts than unique parts. I have owned enough Toyotas to think there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. I just read yesterday about a million mile Tundra that only required oil changes (although it lost reverse gear at about 760k miles). As for the interiors, there is really no comparison in my humble opinion. The NX interior is far nicer.

Is the NX worth the price difference over a RAV4. For me, absolutely. Do we love our NX despite certain flaws (a bit noisy) it may share with the RAV4? Absolutely. Would we make the same choice if we had a "do-over". You bet.

We should appreciate the fact that these excellent vehicles are all built by Toyota and recognize the fact that many people are naturally going to wonder what separates the two. To be fair and put my comments in context, I have only sat in a RAV4 and not actually taken one for a test drive, so my comments about interior noise is relative to other Lexus products and not made from a RAV4 test drive.
Old 05-24-16, 03:42 PM
Balien
Driver School Candidate

The Nx is better by far. Better cabin noise, engine noise, trim, cooled seats real leather that isn't an awful colour(yea rav interior is fugly)better suspension better paint better lights, better nav system the HUD is awesome, birds eye view is just as good as the parking assist and parking assist works when the roads are dirty. And it doesn't look like a sad puppy more like a samurai. Yea more better
Old 05-24-16, 07:51 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Ya, the lights are pretty terrific but what HUD? I'm in the US. We don't get those fancy goodies here.