NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Car wash frequency

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 07:19 AM
bostonb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car wash frequency

Just curious, but how often do you guys get car washes? Do you still get them during the winter? I have yet to wash it mainly because it's been snowing like crazy (storm after storm after storm) here in New England but I feel like I need to get all the salt off it soon.
Old 02-10-15, 07:29 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends which car you're talking about.

My camaro is washed weekly (mostly from garage dust), and waxed on a biweekly basis with glaze and polish applied as needed for car shows.

The NX will be treated much of the same. Weekly hand washes during the good months of hte year, and a biweekly wax in order to keep the paint safe. As for winter, my lexus dealer has a car wash, and gives you a card to allow you to come once a week for a free wash. So I'll use them and make sure to get a quality wax in the fall and spring. I will also probalby dedicate an entire day and wash the frame after the winter passes.

My wife's IS is treated how I plan to treat the NX, we make sure it is washed weekly during the winter, regardless of the weather because you've gotta get that salt off. In the spring we will wash it heavily, put it on jack stands, and wash the underneath. I also am going to get a chemical my local detailing shop just got that pulls salt right out of your paint. Then probably claybar as needed and put a heavy coat of wax on.

Keep in mind that salt becomes active above freezing, so if the temperature is above that, you need to get that car cleaned.
Old 02-10-15, 07:52 AM
bostonb
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer
Depends which car you're talking about.

My camaro is washed weekly (mostly from garage dust), and waxed on a biweekly basis with glaze and polish applied as needed for car shows.

The NX will be treated much of the same. Weekly hand washes during the good months of hte year, and a biweekly wax in order to keep the paint safe. As for winter, my lexus dealer has a car wash, and gives you a card to allow you to come once a week for a free wash. So I'll use them and make sure to get a quality wax in the fall and spring. I will also probalby dedicate an entire day and wash the frame after the winter passes.

My wife's IS is treated how I plan to treat the NX, we make sure it is washed weekly during the winter, regardless of the weather because you've gotta get that salt off. In the spring we will wash it heavily, put it on jack stands, and wash the underneath. I also am going to get a chemical my local detailing shop just got that pulls salt right out of your paint. Then probably claybar as needed and put a heavy coat of wax on.

Keep in mind that salt becomes active above freezing, so if the temperature is above that, you need to get that car cleaned.
Awesome insight. Thanks. And yeah, I was mostly referring to the NX. This is my first luxury vehicle and I wanted to maintain it the best I can. What kind of wax/polish do you use or would recommend if you don't mind me asking?

And regarding the car washes. I'll have to ask my dealership about the free car washes. They've never given me any card of any sort but I know they have free car washes.
Old 02-10-15, 09:11 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For the Camaro, which is what will be used on the NX:

1. Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo
2. Meguiars 2.0 hi tech wax
3. Turtle Wax Ice detailer for removing dust or helping me to dry the car
4. Meguiars Ultimate Polish (for slight clear coat cuts)
5. Meguiars #7 glaze

For my wife's IS, much of the same with the exception of the Turtle Wax White Box since her car is white.

I'm also going to pickup some of that cquartz stuff for the black trim of the NX. Figure I can use it on the diffusor of my wife's IS as well.
Old 02-10-15, 06:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

So far just twice this winter in the last 5 weeks of ownership. Ideally, I'd wash it every time slush/salt hits the paint, but then I'd have to quit my job and wash my car every other day!

For a tonne more information on automotive care, see the dedicated forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 02-12-15, 07:21 PM
bostonb
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer
For the Camaro, which is what will be used on the NX:

1. Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo
2. Meguiars 2.0 hi tech wax
3. Turtle Wax Ice detailer for removing dust or helping me to dry the car
4. Meguiars Ultimate Polish (for slight clear coat cuts)
5. Meguiars #7 glaze

For my wife's IS, much of the same with the exception of the Turtle Wax White Box since her car is white.

I'm also going to pickup some of that cquartz stuff for the black trim of the NX. Figure I can use it on the diffusor of my wife's IS as well.
Good stuff. Thanks, Swacer!

And thanks for the link to the automotive care, Corrado!