NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dynamic cruise, forward collision avoidance, front seat support

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 11:48 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dynamic cruise, forward collision avoidance, front seat support

Hi all. Been stalking the NX threads for a while now.

We've had a maybe 4 or 5 RX's over the past few years and are one of the 'ones' who don't need that much space and the size is a bit of an issue for my wife, who is the daily driver in the RX. We've been waiting for the NX and are glad it's right around the corner.

A few quick questions if anyone can provide some insight:

1. Dynamic cruise control - I've seen where it lists the DCC as full speed down to zero but everything I've seen on YouTube, etc. Leaves that part out. Does anyone know for a fact if the DCC is full range? My car has this and it's a great feature for traffic and stop and go jams on busy highways.

2. Will the NX have forward collision PREVENTION? Meaning will it actually brake the car to a full stop if a collision is imminent? Again, I have this on my car and it's great. The MKC only has forward collision WARNING and it pre-pressurizes the brakes. It looks like other Lexus models have the warning but not the prevention so I'm trying to figure this out.

3. Would anyone whose had a chance to sit in an NX care to comment on thigh support? The previous gen RX was way too short and I was uncomfortable driving long distances. The most recent gen RX is better but not great. Any comments on the NX? Reviews seem to mention supportive seating so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

All of this for the US version of the NX.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
Old 07-11-14, 12:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-tracking.html

Essentially for Points 1 + 2, yes, the system is fully intrusive and will bring the car to a stop.

For point 3, if no one comments on personal experience, check out the seats of the IS and IS F-Sport as they appear identical in shape/bolstering to their respective NX and NX F-Sport models. So besides ingress/egress which will differ of course, sit in the IS seats for now to get a feeler of what the NX seats will feel like.

Old 07-11-14, 12:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

NX has city safety built in - so it will work with speeds up to 37 mph and brake your care, regardless of cruise control... same as other advanced systems on the market.
Old 07-12-14, 03:25 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Thank you both for the feedback!

Great idea on testing the IS seats- I'll give that a try on our next service appt,

I wonder if there is anything else available regarding the dynamic cruise and forward collision prevention online. I've seen that safety video that mentions the cruise control but, oddly, it only talks about coming to a full stop with cruise and I'm curious if it resumes on its own or if you have to get it to a certain speed and then hit resume. Not a huge deal but curious and a bit surprised they don't have more info released.

And I haven't seen anything on the forward collision prevention. I will do a search under 'city safety' per your recommendation.

Thanks again!!

Edit: Found a post that addresses a lot of my questions on the GS system. I'm guessing it will be the same/very similar: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-control.html

Last edited by DigMyM35x; 07-12-14 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-12-14, 03:46 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

You're welcome.

In the video (i'll re-post it here), from 0:18, the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is demoed and it's stated it's an "all-speed system" because it reduces speed automatically or can stop the car fully in traffic. As a final point, we see the system still accelerate on its own after a full stop "reducing driving fatigue in traffic situations".

Between the Lane Departure system and this, this is close to a self driving car, but yes, it has its limitations, like in the GS post you linked.

PS. FWIW, I own an IS F-Sport and the seats are the best seats I've had in a car. You feel like you're sitting in a glove if that makes any sense. Not one automotive review out there I came across on the IS disliked the F-Sport seats.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-12-14 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-13-14, 08:49 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

It's obvious there's some contradiction to what is marketed versus what was tested. However, these are still pre-production vehicles so we won't know until full tests are done on production cars:

From: http://www.slashgear.com/2015-lexus-...time-13337134/

An option is Dynamic Cruise Control, which can automatically maintain a certain distance between the car in front and the NX. However, unlike similar systems I’ve driven, it only functions up to 37 mph, and if you come to a full halt you’ll need to re-engage it before the NX will pull away, making it more of a city driving courtesy just like the auto-holding brakes that keep you in place while you’re stationary but still in gear.
Old 07-13-14, 07:08 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It's obvious there's some contradiction to what is marketed versus what was tested. However, these are still pre-production vehicles so we won't know until full tests are done on production cars:

From: http://www.slashgear.com/2015-lexus-...time-13337134/
Right, that 37mph thing is one of the confusing items mentioned. I believe that might be for the forward collision prevention system, although on my car it works at all speeds.

Also, the dynamic cruise on my current car will stop the car but I do need to hit the resume button if the car stops completely for more than two or three seconds.

I will be curious to see specific examples vs. Press accounts since most reviewers seem to be repeating marketing info which isn't super clear. It doesn't sound like anyone actually tested either of the systems. Maybe someone will allow a Q&A like they've done in the past. Otherwise I think we'll be waiting for details.
Old 10-14-14, 08:13 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Just downloaded the NX app for my iPhone and found the info below. Nice to see something directly from Lexus regarding the collision avoidance and actually braking the car instead of just warning. Nice to get validation!

PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM

A pre-collision system is available on both vehicles, but there are important differences.

The NX Pre-Collision System is designed to help perform the following:

detect other vehicles and obstacles in the driving line
alert the driver of an impending collision, with a buzzer and a light
augment the driver's braking effort
automatically activate the brakes (if the driver has not yet applied the brakes), helping to minimize the impact force of a collision
These functions represent are key differentiators between the NX and BMW pre-collision systems. Here is another: the NX Pre-Collision System comes with all-speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, which performs vehicle-to-vehicle distance control by maintaining a pre-set distance from the vehicle ahead by matching its speed.

In contrast, the BMW X3 pre-collision system offers the following:

Frontal Collision Warning, which provides a warning to the driver when approaching a vehicle ahead too quickly. No automatic braking action takes place
City Collision Mitigation helps prevents collisions by priming the brake system to reduce stopping distance. However, no braking action takes place unless the driver applies the brakes
Old 10-14-14, 09:43 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a bit wary of the auto braking after seeing the Lincoln MKC collision warning system in action. It does not auto-brake, but had several false alarms during my weekend with it. It appears to me that if you were accelerating into a curve, for example when going uphill, things like telephone poles that the car thinks are in its path will trip it up. If the NX performs that poorly I'd disable it, assuming that is possible.

It'll be nice to see some owner reviews when the NX's finally start hitting the road.
Old 10-14-14, 10:55 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

I have an Infiniti Q50 with a plethora of safety systems including collision avoidance. I have never had an issue with a hill or telephone pole sending a false signal but we'll have to see how Lexus handles these systems. I haven't driven the MKC so I haven't seen what you are experiencing but that's not good if there are a lot of false alarms. Yikes!