NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Drove the RX Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 06:03 PM
Garemz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove the RX Today

Dealership gave me the RX for the day 2016 F sport: I currently have the 2016 NX F sport 3. Here is what I noticed different

- Gauges are Digital not analog they show other features such as the all wheel drive system and a digital CLOCK

- The RX feels really smooth not sure if its the longer wheel base or the 8 speed transmission but huge difference.

- Navigation screen is massive this allows you to have more info on the display.

- Automatic Air Recirculation Control System this is a bit loud and comes from the back of the vehicle, still not sure what it does.

- Stereo ROCKS compared to the NX

- Back lift gate has a button not only to shut it but if you hit the button twice it locks the car.
- The back tail gate also opens if wave your hand across the Lexus symbol

- Seats feel more comfortable.

- Gas milage seems to be better

Conclusion the RX feels more Luxury, is it worth the extra $ YES

Last edited by Garemz; 06-01-16 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 06:08 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemz

- Automatic Air Recirculation Control System this is a bit loud and comes from the back of the vehicle, still not sure what it does.
Are you sure that wasn't the ventilated seats? When I have mine on (NX) you can hear the swooshing sound of the air/fan coming from below and behind me.
Old 06-01-16, 06:10 PM
Garemz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Are you sure that wasn't the ventilated seats? When I have mine on (NX) you can hear the swooshing sound of the air/fan coming from below and behind me.
The NX does not have this feature ( Automatic Air Recirculation Control System )
Old 06-01-16, 10:40 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Gotta agree the RX is much better overall. Just wish I had the extra 10k to drop for it.
Old 06-02-16, 02:15 AM
zkl2003
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
Gotta agree the RX is much better overall. Just wish I had the extra 10k to drop for it.
I wouldn't say it is better! NX and RX has different style and meets different type of people. I had money to buy the RX, but I didn't cause it is way too big for me. I am just by myself and no point to get a big car.
Old 06-02-16, 02:55 AM
stressed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zkl2003
I wouldn't say it is better! NX and RX has different style and meets different type of people. I had money to buy the RX, but I didn't cause it is way too big for me. I am just by myself and no point to get a big car.
Very true. The NX was targeted to a different market segment and they are different.

Whilst price is $10k apart, by percentage wise it's 20% approximately which is not little anymore.

Do continue to enjoy what is in your hands now.
Old 06-02-16, 07:54 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

wouldn't be worth it to me since I wouldn't be able to fit the RX and my wife's IS250 in the garage

dimensions trumped features for me
Old 06-02-16, 12:26 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Better is debatable. The RX is now large and luxurious. Fun and sporty...not so much. Like Stressed said, they are for different markets. The RX keeps getting bigger and bigger. Like others have said, I got the NX for it's size and how it drove, not because it was cheaper. We traded a fully loaded GX 460 with 12k miles on it for one of our NX's. The NX is just such a joy to drive. But if I needed bigger, I would be looking at the RX.

Last edited by Frog98; 06-02-16 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 02:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Better fuel economy with the RX? Must have been an anomaly since it is a couple MPGs thirstier. This aside, Lexus did a nice job with the 4RX and enough to justify the premium IMO.
Old 06-02-16, 06:45 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

We traded our RX in strictly for the size and are really enjoying the more compact vehicle. It isn't about which is "best" or which is cheapest. It's about which fits our needs the best. The new RX is even larger so it won't be something we would consider again. I have no doubt they have made some nice improvements and the ride is more pleasant than the NX (as it was with our 2013 RX).
Old 06-04-16, 04:24 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Can't say its a better vehicle as the rx is more of a full size suv and the nx is a compact suv. When I bought the nx they told me it drives like the Lexus IS and fun. I came from a 2011 rx and a 2015 ml. Both car is better drive and smoother than the nx by far but in the end it's all about the size and fits better in the garage. Whoever said the rx is 10k more than the nx. Here in Canada I had the rx price out at 78k fully loaded f sport 3.
Old 06-04-16, 06:10 AM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I came from a 2011 RX to a 2015 NX200t Luxury. I find the more athletic handling, smaller size, and better gas mileage as pluses over the RX. The new RX is even bigger and feels ponderous ... try the 'feel' in comparison when taking a clover leaf off of an Interstate or just driving around town. The laws of physics have not been repealed. A problem for some of us is that the RX has grown to the point of almost being purposed as a minivan for those who would not normally be found dead in one. As a personal matter, I believe that the NX wears the new Lexus styling better than the RX, IMHO.

Different horses for different courses.
Old 06-04-16, 09:47 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I wouldn't say the RX is better than the NX; they both appeal to different people. We actually have both a 2016 RX350 (father's car) and a 2016 NX200t F-sport (sister's car) in our family's garage...I lean towards preferring to sit in the RX for the interior quality but prefer driving the NX.

The RX is more of a luxury cruiser, and offers more space while riding more comfortably. The higher price kinda makes Lexus need to put in a higher quality interior. The RX appeals to more of the older crowd.

The NX is more of a sporty, compact crossover that still rides comfortably but handles better. I wouldn't expect Lexus to put the same higher quality interior of the RX into the NX for the price they charge. The NX appeals to more of the younger crowd (or young in heart).
Old 06-04-16, 09:55 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

I don't get the praise of the NX's sportiness and handling. I actually feel it lacks agility for something named a "nimble crossover" and there's quite a bit of understeer too. It drives bigger than it is. Maybe it's because I have the Base FWD, but I just don't get it.
Old 06-04-16, 11:15 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
I don't get the praise of the NX's sportiness and handling. I actually feel it lacks agility for something named a "nimble crossover" and there's quite a bit of understeer too. It drives bigger than it is. Maybe it's because I have the Base FWD, but I just don't get it.
Compared to the much bigger RX, it is sporty and nimble. Compared to other performance SUVs or sedans, then maybe not.

I have driven the base NX200t many times as a loaner, and have to say that the F-sport package does make a difference.

Last edited by dchar; 06-04-16 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Drove the RX Today