NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Where did you put your front plates ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-15, 07:02 PM
VipVip
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did you put your front plates ?

I still have not drilled in my front plates or let the dealer do it .

Does anyone have any suggestion of where to put it, besides the standard location provided by lexus? It definitely kills the f-sport grill in my opinion.
Old 04-26-15, 11:25 PM
emoowear
Driver School Candidate

I'm using one from Cravenspeed. It uses a bolt to attach to one of the front tow hooks. I wasn't happy with the idea of possible drill holes in the grill so this was/is a great alternative! It will take you no more than 5 minutes to get it installed.

Old 04-27-15, 03:59 PM
allgoodman
Rookie

Yep, tow hook mount is probably the better option when you don't want to drill into your front bumper.
Old 04-27-15, 10:26 PM
VipVip
Rookie

Very nice !
not sure If I'm gonna put it in the middle or towads the bottom .
Gotta love the white on white " california " plates!!!
Old 04-28-15, 07:30 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does that location of the plate cover the front vehicle sensor used for parking and vehicle proximity? Do you get any error messages? Just curious.
Old 04-28-15, 12:48 PM
wildeklave
Pole Position

for many of the Northeastern states (incl NY and NJ) front plates are required. Since they are required the dealers have a mount they use on the grill. This is also because the state DMV has rules about where the plate must be on the vehicle. I have seen some people put plates in their front windshield or elsewhere on the front of their cars but they risk getting a ticket for that.
Old 04-28-15, 03:14 PM
emoowear
Driver School Candidate

VipVip, Ha thanks. Though after a month or so and seeing the blue on the road, I'm beginning to think I should've gone with the USB Nx. ah well...

rayzer57, I don't have my sensors activated(on) so i couldn't tell you. If I remember to do it the next time I parallel park, I'll update ya.

Yeah, I think it's a bit silly to put the plates on your dash as that isn't a valid placement for the issued plates. If the officer decides to cite you, they will regardless. Might as well put in your glove compartment or somewhere else in your vehicle.
Old 04-30-15, 04:45 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeklave
for many of the Northeastern states (incl NY and NJ) front plates are required. Since they are required the dealers have a mount they use on the grill. This is also because the state DMV has rules about where the plate must be on the vehicle. I have seen some people put plates in their front windshield or elsewhere on the front of their cars but they risk getting a ticket for that.
same here in va. however, the dealers are the ones who mount/drill the license plate bracket/plates to the bumper. i knew this in advance so when i purchased my 3IS, i told them explicitly DO NOT DRILL! just give me the car, i'll put on my grimmspeed toe hook license plate bracket myself. i was only lucky that i purchased this vehicle while in was still in transport. had it been sitting on the lot.. well its just too late then.
Old 04-30-15, 06:41 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Here is a Club Lexus thread about front plates in NJ
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nel...gal-in-nj.html

This is the NJ Law for front plates. NY and VA are probably similar:

39:3-33. Markers; requirements concerning; display of fictitious or wrong numbers, etc.; punishment
The owner of an automobile which is driven on the public highways of this State shall display not less than 12 inches nor more than 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position, and in such a way as not to swing, an identification mark or marks to be furnished by the division; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that the rear identification mark may be displayed more than 48 inches from the ground on tank trucks, trailers and other commercial vehicles carrying inflammable liquids and on sanitation vehicles which are used to collect, transport and dispose of garbage, solid wastes and refuse. Motorcycles shall also display an identification mark or marks; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the motorcycle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the motorcycle.

The identification mark or marks shall contain the number of the registration certificate of the vehicle and shall be of such design and material as prescribed pursuant to section 2 of P.L.1989, c.202 (C.39:3-33.9). All identification marks shall be kept clear and distinct and free from grease, dust or other blurring matter, so as to be plainly visible at all times of the day and night.

No person shall drive a motor vehicle which has a license plate frame or identification marker holder that conceals or otherwise obscures any part of any marking imprinted upon the vehicle's registration plate or any part of any insert which the director, as hereinafter provided, issues to be inserted in and attached to that registration plate or marker.

The director is authorized and empowered to issue registration plate inserts, to be inserted in and attached to the registration plates or markers described herein. They may be issued in the place of new registration plates or markers; and inscribed thereon, in numerals, shall be the year in which registration of the vehicle has been granted.

No person shall drive a motor vehicle the owner of which has not complied with the provisions of this subtitle concerning the proper registration and identification thereof, nor drive a motor vehicle which displays a fictitious number, or a number other than that designated for the motor vehicle in its registration certificate. During the period of time between the application for motor vehicle registration and the receipt of registration plates from the division, no person shall affix a plate or marker for the purpose of advertisement in the position on a motor vehicle normally reserved for the display of the registration plates required by this section if the plate or marker is designed with a combination of letters, numbers, colors, or words to resemble the registration plates required by this section.

A person convicted of displaying a fictitious number, as prohibited herein, shall be subject to a fine not exceeding $500.00 or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 60 days.

A person violating any other provision of this section shall be subject to a fine not exceeding $100.00. In default of the payment thereof, there shall be imposed an imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 10 days. A person convicted of a second offense of the same violation may be fined in double the amount herein prescribed for the first offense and may, in default of the payment thereof, be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 20 days. These penalties shall not apply to the display of a fictitious number.
Old 05-01-15, 07:29 PM
athiker
Rookie

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
same here in va. however, the dealers are the ones who mount/drill the license plate bracket/plates to the bumper. i knew this in advance so when i purchased my 3IS, i told them explicitly DO NOT DRILL! just give me the car, i'll put on my grimmspeed toe hook license plate bracket myself. i was only lucky that i purchased this vehicle while in was still in transport. had it been sitting on the lot.. well its just too late then.
I wish I had thought to do this. I bought in VA but live in NC. No front plate required in NC. I took the front plate mount off yesterday and was bummed to discover two drill holes. Not sure the cost or ease of replacing that plastic piece? Was thinking of posting pics and asking the forum.

I'm not sure asking ahead would have helped or not since my sales dealer traded for the vehicle, but would have been nice.
Old 05-04-15, 05:53 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Something else to consider. I went to the local car wash that has done a good job in the past on other vehicles. They did a good job this time except, my font plate was bent and the plastic Lexus frame was broken. I think they have a water hose that shoots at the front that broke the plastic holder. Because the lexus plate mount only has 2 screws for the top there is no support for the bottom of the plate which is what bent. I have order a stronger plate frame and may install the bottom part using nuts / bolts so it won't be hanging freely.
Old 05-04-15, 07:00 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

looks so much better without it, worth the risk of a ticket....

If I ever get a mount, would definitely be the CRAVENSPEED, that looks great!
Old 05-07-15, 01:26 PM
Lolasmom
Driver School Candidate

Default Front Plate placement

In Illinois, front plates are "required". Yes, you can get a ticket if you don't have them. That being said, I never had them installed on my 2000 RX, and to this day have NEVER gotten a ticket. I am waiting for my Hybrid NX and will instruct the dealer to NOT drill any holes in the front either. If you aren't getting stopped for any other reason, I doubt you'd get stopped just for that.
I once had an accident with a small boulder, lol, hit it with the front bumper. I had it fixed and the body shop put holes in the new bumper for the plates. I told them I didn't want the holes and they actually replaced the bumper with a pristine new one!
Old 05-08-15, 04:14 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by athiker
I wish I had thought to do this. I bought in VA but live in NC. No front plate required in NC. I took the front plate mount off yesterday and was bummed to discover two drill holes. Not sure the cost or ease of replacing that plastic piece? Was thinking of posting pics and asking the forum.

I'm not sure asking ahead would have helped or not since my sales dealer traded for the vehicle, but would have been nice.
I live in VA.....wish we didn't have to use a front plate urggg ! The grille looks so much better without the plate in front of it !
Old 05-19-15, 09:46 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

In Missouri it is required to have a front license plate on this type of vehicle. What I did was use two tie wraps and looped them thru the honey comb on the grill. No holes drilled, and the tie wraps will last indefinitely until I cut them.

Quick Reply: Where did you put your front plates ?