NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Automotive Reviews Thread

Old 07-07-14, 10:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
We are probably reading different reviews than me... pretty much everyone praised the handling on NX, many saying that it feels like large luxury sedan going down the road and not small crossover, that handles the bumps confidently and does not wallow in the curves as RX, with "surprising" feedback from the steering.
I think we are reading the same reviews and everything that I am reading right now says "average." Average MPG, average power, average steering and handling. Reviewers note that it feels solid, sturdy and that it tracks like a larger CUV, but these are not the same things we see when reading about the IS - the vehicle that the NX's handling was supposedly benchmarked against. The RX is solid, stable and quiet, too. I was hoping to hear something about high engagement and perfectly weighted steering from NX F Sport, like we have heard with IS and GS F Sport.

I am not having illusions of grandeur here - I know that with more ground clearance and a FWD chassis, the NX wasn't going to miraculously drive like an IS 350 F Sport, but it seems that this formula is more "RX junior" than it is "IS on stilts," as Lexus seemed to hype.

It's nice that the exterior and interior seem to be garnering high praise - many people were so up in arms over the LF-NX, but the production NX is very handsome, I think

One other positive is that it seems like Lexus has done a nice job of creating a motor with nearly imperceptible turbo lag.
Old 07-07-14, 10:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I didn't expect the NX to be revolutionary - Just competitive with the current leaders in the segment. It's looking like that will be the case, and it will sell well.
Old 07-07-14, 11:21 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This Lexus NX first drive video review provides the first driving impressions of this all-new compact luxury crossover. Included is information about the three models -- the NX 200t, NX 200t F Sport and NX 300h -- as well as their fuel economy, interior space, available features, turbocharged and hybrid powertrains, and expected competitors.
Old 07-07-14, 11:57 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think we are reading the same reviews and everything that I am reading right now says "average." Average MPG, average power, average steering and handling. Reviewers note that it feels solid, sturdy and that it tracks like a larger CUV, but these are not the same things we see when reading about the IS - the vehicle that the NX's handling was supposedly benchmarked against. The RX is solid, stable and quiet, too. I was hoping to hear something about high engagement and perfectly weighted steering from NX F Sport, like we have heard with IS and GS F Sport.

I am not having illusions of grandeur here - I know that with more ground clearance and a FWD chassis, the NX wasn't going to miraculously drive like an IS 350 F Sport, but it seems that this formula is more "RX junior" than it is "IS on stilts," as Lexus seemed to hype.

The IS 350 F-Sport RWD is the benchmark in the class, BUT remember, it's not best in pretty much all the individual performance characteristics and arguably "mid-pack". For instance, the 335i M-Sport is better in acceleration while the ATS is better at cornering, and the S4 has the quicker tranny, and so on. Nor is it best in fuel consumption, space, and features. It truly is the middle of the pack when each of these characterstics is taken individually, but the sum of its parts and per $, well, that's where it excels. Let's wait and see for a full review and comparo of a production NX 200t F-Sport and who comes out the overall winner.
Old 07-07-14, 12:22 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If I'm not mistaken, the turbos from Ford, GM, Hyundai and Kia run on regular.
Makes sense as they're more mainstream brands. What about the luxury makes?
Old 07-07-14, 12:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by spwolf

Weight is surprising but i guess it should not be. Luxury weights! They did not joke about using 90% of unique parts.

What I found interesting was the trunk - as we could see in pics, it is pretty large... but the rating makes it very low. This is US spec rating. And all the journalists commented how small the trunk is. I would guess it is due to trunk cover and it is rating up to it as it is firm cover.

What was hilarious is that same car, under Canadian and Australian specs, has large boot and these journalists commented how large the boot is.

So after all that, reading the reviews - probably overall best reviewed Lexus vehicle to date. They are extremely positive on pretty much everything (except US for boot capacity).
Agree and to add...

Weight: My dad has a new RAV4 (at 3600 lbs), and although it drives and handles well, the doors sound and feel hollow and "tinny" when opening and slamming them shut. I expect the added steel, softer plastics, and sound proofing materials in the NX to give it a more substantial and solid feel, as one would expect in a luxury vehicle. No surprises really for the 400 lb gain; in fact I'm pleased knowing there's 400 lbs more material on the already good RAV4.

Cargo space: Yes, I have concluded as well the 17.7 cu ft of rear cargo is MISLEADING and is measured underneath the solid tonneau cover. Not sure why Lexus is stating this to teh press without a clear explanation that it is space under the cover. Logically, it is not possible the tiny Evoque's 20 cu ft or the even smaller QX50's 18 cu ft is larger than the NX when Lexus has stated "best-in-class" cargo. Largest one to date is the XC60 at 30.6 cu ft with the Germans in the high 20s, so unless Lexus has considered only the Germans in the class, cargo must be at least 29-30 cu ft behind the rear seats. Some folks who have seen the NX have stated it is almost as large as the RX's 40 cu ft and another thing to keep in mind is the RAV's cargo is 38.4 cu ft - no way the NX is less than half the volume.
Old 07-07-14, 01:00 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
Makes sense as they're more mainstream brands. What about the luxury makes?
If I am not mistaken, all Lincoln EcoBoost's can run on 87 octane. Note the difference is 91 octane "recommended" on the Lincoln EcoBoost vs "required" on the Lexus Turbo.
Old 07-07-14, 01:20 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess the mirrors are not auto folding for North America since it wasn't mentioned nor seen on the door in the videos and pictures.
Old 07-07-14, 01:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Good catch. I forgot about this. The fact that neither Canadian nor US spec sheets mention it, makes me think it's not available. It is an unfortunate omission IMO, as I do appreciate them "getting out of the way" on my RX.
Old 07-07-14, 01:43 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
No ML option is disappointing
+1

It really sucks that Lexus USA is so scared of giving American buyers many of the premium options/combos available to the European and Asian markets. They need to realize that they're a luxury brand and being able to customize a car with premium options is part of the luxury car experience.
http://news.harman.com/Press-Release...us-NX-192.aspx

Originally Posted by Harman PR
AUDIO-ENRICHING HARMAN CLARI-FI TECHNOLOGY TO PREMIERE IN THE ALL-NEW LEXUS NX

Apr 21, 2014

CHINA 2014, BEIJING – HARMAN, the premium global audio and infotainment group, announced today that the all-new 2015 Lexus NX will be the first vehicle to incorporate HARMAN’s innovative Clari-Fi™ technology, which automatically analyzes and improves the audio quality of all types of compressed, digitalized music sources. The technology will be a feature of the available Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio System in the Lexus NX.

The audio industry has experienced a dramatic shift from vinyl LPs and CDs to compressed, digital files enabling the sharing of music across a variety of mobile devices as well as streaming music services increasingly accessed found in today’s vehicles. The compression process has made audio more mobile than ever, but at the price of audio quality. Compressing audio files can discard up to 90 percent of the original audio content captured in the studio. As a result, consumers cannot experience music in the way the artist originally intended. Clari-Fi transforms the listening experience back to a pre-compression era, by addressing this deterioration of audio quality by restoring what has been lost, to deliver a rich, uncompromised listening experience from any compressed music source.

“We are proud to continue our 13-year partnership with Lexus, and excited that the new NX vehicle will be the first automobile in the world to feature Clari-Fi,” said Dinesh C. Paliwal, Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer, HARMAN. “Clari-Fi is a significant technological advancement that transforms the listening experience for the millions of people who don’t want to sacrifice quality for the convenience of downloaded and streaming digital music. At HARMAN, we develop technologies that help recording artists realize their vision. We also want consumers to experience the music the way it was intended - whether at home, on the go or in the car. Now, drivers with the Lexus NX Mark Levinson surround sound system will have an unparalleled listening experience with the breakthrough Clari-Fi solution from HARMAN.”

Unlike other solutions in the market today, Clari-Fi does not simply add equalization and boost bass, or focus only on leveraging high-resolution file formats on a proprietary device. HARMAN’s approach with Clari-Fi analyzes digital audio signals in real time and rebuilds them during playback. It does not mask the effects of heavy compression by adding new effects, but instead uses an algorithm to put back what is lost during the compression process. The result? High-quality audio from compressed digital files from any playback source – including the car.

“Consumers today demand that their cars function as a place where they can stay connected to their digital lives,” said Thilo Koslowski, Vice President and Automotive Practice Leader, Gartner. “As vehicles continue to offer greater connectivity and streaming capabilities, the use of digitalized audio formats will rise and with it consumers’ desire for unprecedented in-vehicle audio experiences.”

The Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio System in the Lexus NX incorporates Clari-Fi technology across 14 speakers in 12 locations, carefully designed and located strategically throughout the vehicle cabin,to create an optimum listening experience. Powered by a 12-channel ML5 amplifier, the 835-watt audio system delivers the highest quality audio experience to driver and passengers alike.

The 2015 Lexus NX equipped with the available Clari-Fi-enabled Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio System is expected to launch in Asia and Europe later this year. Clari-Fi technology is already featured in HARMAN’s JBL Authentics Series wireless home entertainment sound systems and will be incorporated into a range of Home, Multimedia, and Automotive products in the coming year.

Visit HARMAN during the Beijing International Automotive Exhibition in Hall E2 for a demonstration of HARMAN’s portfolio of infotainment and in-car audio solutions.

Last edited by ydooby; 07-07-14 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-07-14, 02:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I think I may know the answer to this, but I did a VERY quick look at the weight difference between the RX and Highlander and they seem to be much closer to each other than the RAV4 and NX 400 lb. weight difference.

RX350 AWD is +77 lbs. over the Highlander AWD
Highlander Hybrid is +110 lbs. over the RX450h

Some model differences may effect weight but you get the idea that the spread isn't as great as with the NX/RAV4.
Old 07-07-14, 05:04 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Not sure if posted. From Alex on autos

Old 07-07-14, 05:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

It was one of the first posts, but thanks RXSF anyway.
Old 07-07-14, 08:15 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I really wanted a coupe or a Tesla S for my next car but damn, I can really see myself in an NX... I probably won't pull the trigger though if it wasn't for a Hybrid F sport.
Old 07-07-14, 09:43 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think I may know the answer to this, but I did a VERY quick look at the weight difference between the RX and Highlander and they seem to be much closer to each other than the RAV4 and NX 400 lb. weight difference.

RX350 AWD is +77 lbs. over the Highlander AWD
Highlander Hybrid is +110 lbs. over the RX450h

Some model differences may effect weight but you get the idea that the spread isn't as great as with the NX/RAV4.
The chief engineer claimed the NX shared only 10% with the RAV4. Perhaps the added re-enforcement to the body structure contributes to the weight difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NX Automotive Reviews Thread