Three Different NX Front Bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 03:15 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by bunka
All of these responses on the F-Sport are pushing me more and more to the land of ... no longer interested.
If this becomes the next "mod" car for the younger set, I don't want ANY part of it. I saw (& did) enough of the lowering (by chopping springs) and putting turbo's and NOX kits on Honda's changing the riding and performance characteristics WAY behond the original envelope those cars were designed for. Eventually, all the mods made those types of cars worthless to anyone other than the extreme modders. If that is where these NX's will be going we are simsply not interested. We will let the younger set have fun with them but keep in mind that younger set is doing well to have $10K cash to burn on those prior "play cars" so I don't think many (if ANY) will be able to plunk down $40K for a new car and then start modding them but you never know, do you?
Not that I am a modding persona anyways; but yet I like the idea of little variations, customizations and personalizations. I for one, love that younger generations are at last becoming interested in Lexus. It was a long time coming. Plus Bimmers and Mercs have been modded /chopped since a long time now. FWIW, Bentley has its share of those as well. And I am happy to see that at last I can get a bit of luxury, a bit of sportiness and reliability in the same offering. Aren't you? If a section of the owners want to experiment different configurations, why not?
Are you scared that the bug may catch you too? Again?
Old 10-02-14, 03:43 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LoveCT
Not that I am a modding persona anyways; but yet I like the idea of little variations, customizations and personalizations. I for one, love that younger generations are at last becoming interested in Lexus. It was a long time coming. Plus Bimmers and Mercs have been modded /chopped since a long time now. FWIW, Bentley has its share of those as well. And I am happy to see that at last I can get a bit of luxury, a bit of sportiness and reliability in the same offering. Aren't you? If a section of the owners want to experiment different configurations, why not?
Are you scared that the bug may catch you too? Again?
Nope. I "wised up" & realized it was simply pissing money away. I'd rather drop $40K on a 'mid 60's classic vette with...... not a SINGLE modification.
Old 10-02-14, 04:25 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Nope. I "wised up" & realized it was simply pissing money away. I'd rather drop $40K on a 'mid 60's classic vette with...... not a SINGLE modification.
And then pour more money for maintenance and upkeep. Either way you spend. Not that Corvette's aren't modded in general. It's your money, you decide how you spend it.

I hope you weren't planning on buying a limited edition NX as an investment in hopes for it to become an exotic down the road.
Old 10-02-14, 04:39 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

And then pour more money for maintenance and upkeep. Either way you spend. Not that Corvette's aren't modded in general. It's your money, you decide how you spend it.
You MUST have overlooked a KEY logic component of my statement. CLASSIC corvettes are typically original, without ANY modifications. Also, such a car would not be a daily driver so a bit confused as you why you would have thought otherwise. Also, there isn't a whole lot of "maintainance" and what there is can typically be done by yourself.

I hope you weren't planning on buying a limited edition NX as an investment in hopes for it to become an exotic down the road.
What you talking about, Willis?
Old 10-02-14, 06:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

All of these responses on the F-Sport are pushing me more and more to the land of ... no longer interested.
If this becomes the next "mod" car for the younger set, I don't want ANY part of it. I saw (& did) enough of the lowering (by chopping springs) and putting turbo's and NOX kits on Honda's changing the riding and performance characteristics WAY behond the original envelope those cars were designed for. Eventually, all the mods made those types of cars worthless to anyone other than the extreme modders. If that is where these NX's will be going we are simsply not interested. We will let the younger set have fun with them but keep in mind that younger set is doing well to have $10K cash to burn on those prior "play cars" so I don't think many (if ANY) will be able to plunk down $40K for a new car and then start modding them but you never know, do you?
Keep in mind that forums like CL, as well as others, are generally frequented by younger enthusiasts who are more interested in modding their cars vs. the general car buying public. So the perception that most buyers want to mod their NX might not be accurate.

I look in on an Audi forum and was surprised at how many Q5 owners are adding bigger after market wheels, aftermarket grills and trim, different pulleys for the supercharger, chipping engines to get more boost etc. Not typical of Q5 buyers, but something the younger enthusiasts there are doing.
Old 10-02-14, 08:43 PM
lcneed
Driver

From the CT200H F-Sport owners I know from the forum, most of them are older folks. The reason to buy a F-Sport is because it is sort of factor pre-mod so you don't have to do it afterward. If people wants to spend time to mod the CT, they would buy the regular version (probably used one) and build from that. The way I see it, F-Sport is manufacturer's mod for the people who has more money than time.. usually people people between 40 to 60. After 60 you starts to have time again and less money because your kids all left home and you just finished paying off their college! LOL.
Old 10-02-14, 10:32 PM
LoveCT
Driver

You MUST have overlooked a KEY logic component of my statement. CLASSIC corvettes are typically original, without ANY modifications. Also, such a car would not be a daily driver so a bit confused as you why you would have thought otherwise. Also, there isn't a whole lot of "maintainance" and what there is can typically be done by yourself.

What you talking about, Willis?
My only point is, either way you spend money. And money put in a car goes down the drain, eventually. Unless you just want to keep the car in the garage in hopes that someday Barret Jackson would come knocking your great grandson's door. You can keep your NX unchanged. Why the aversion to the section of the buying public, who want to perhaps do some personalizations on the car?

Look, I completely understand your logic of using money wisely to buy a classic. But I don't understand the logic of your aversion to a contemporary car that a section wants to customize. I mean sure 1960's cars are classic today. But in 1960, not every vette buying public was keeping it as it is, and doing no mods. Or were they?

Last edited by LoveCT; 10-02-14 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 11:01 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by lcneed
The reason to buy a F-Sport is because it is sort of factor pre-mod so you don't have to do it afterward. If people wants to spend time to mod the CT, they would buy the regular version (probably used one) and build from that. The way I see it, F-Sport is manufacturer's mod for the people who has more money than time.. usually people people between 40 to 60.
Agree on th F-Sport factory pre mod. F-Sport was always meant to entice the younger audience and after market enthusiasts. No matter how much you hate Will.I.Am. But Lexus touting his personalizations, suggests a shift in Lexus trying to exploit a new target audience.

Don't know why I should compare the NX to a Corvette, but still since we're on the point, I will hazard a guess that the late model Corvette owners are older than future NX owners, possess more than one car. The older demographic don't have much penchant for modding. Now when you compare the vette to the Nissan GT-R aka the Godzilla, completely different demographic, much more prone to mechanical and cosmetic mods.

As for me, I belong to a category who want to get value for money in the long run, like horses but gas savings trumps it. I like the new Lexus design directions, and wonder why Lexus wants to deprive me of it. So will wait until NX 300H f-sport is brought in NA. Yes, I can buy the regular 300H and do F-Sport mods, but they get far more expensive. But rest assured, there will be a section who won't wait for it to arrive and do their own mods right away.
Old 10-04-14, 04:45 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

My only point is, either way you spend money. And money put in a car goes down the drain, eventually. Unless you just want to keep the car in the garage in hopes that someday Barret Jackson would come knocking your great grandson's door. You can keep your NX unchanged. Why the aversion to the section of the buying public, who want to perhaps do some personalizations on the car?

Look, I completely understand your logic of using money wisely to buy a classic. But I don't understand the logic of your aversion to a contemporary car that a section wants to customize. I mean sure 1960's cars are classic today. But in 1960, not every vette buying public was keeping it as it is, and doing no mods. Or were they?
Points taken on the younger crowd. I am 51 and the wife is a perpetual 29 (+15 years as of now). I had a Datsun 280 & a Toyota corolla when I was in my 20s and yes, I modded them for SCCA racing. Once I got older, I bought the worlds fastest PRODUCTION vehicle (at the time) which was a 2001 MB CLK55 //AMG which had the hand built engine putting out a TON of power (twice that of the 280z) when I was in my mid 30's. I didn't mod that car AT ALL so I understand wanting to have something that has already been completed by the mfg. It was a "sleeper" with it's 375HP & 389 (Dyno'd) normally aspirated hand-built V8 which would absolutely DESTROY the mustangs (yes, even stage II), cameros & firebirds of the day. I toasted mod'd Porsche's on tracks with it but it didn't look much more different than any other "non 55" AMG of the day (the 430's had an AMG bodykit option).

Our issues with the NX F-sport are the exact things that many on here appear to want. That includes things like those god-awful multi-colored seats with that pseudo leather. I've just seen that "attempted" and FAILED numerous times over the years. Personally, I like the "extreme" spindale front end with the low large grill as it reminds me of one of my favorite cars, the Maseratti Gran Turismo but the wife doesn't like it as she thinks it's to "flashy" and makes the nose looked "pointed" (her words, not mine).

In regards to classic corvettes... yep, most were left alone as it costs quiet a bit to mod them in the aftermarket (same argument you guys making here). Sure, you could add side pipes and you could replace the engines but most of the engines that were (eventually) replaced were done so because the original engines had run their useful life or someone tried to add "artifical" value to to them much later in life. One of my current favorites are the newer resto-mod versions that have modern suspension, engine and interiors in classic vettes. Those types of mods often run $50 or $100K on TOP of the cost of the classic vette so they are generally out of the price range of most single car collectors (like me).

New concerns for my wife with the new NX is the ride comfort. The ride in my wife's '06 HiHy is like a marshmellow (similar to the RX). Our X5d is MUCH more "taught" (for performance) but it still rides VERY NICELY and is not harsh. As long as the NX is similar, no issues. If it rides like a sport IS, it may be too stiff for her taste.

Last edited by bunka; 10-04-14 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-05-14, 11:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

so why not just get the black interior?
Old 10-05-14, 12:19 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
so why not just get the black interior?
Although you did not indicate who you were addressing, our logic is that we have found that 100% Black interior = Hot. Living in North Carolina makes that more of a factor here than other areas of the country. She has decided on the gray as that was what she had on the GX.

Last edited by bunka; 10-06-14 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-08-14, 12:44 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Although you did not indicate who you were addressing, our logic is that we have found that 100% Black interior = Hot. Living in North Carolina makes that more of a factor here than other areas of the country. She has decided on the gray as that was what she had on the GX.
Although I wasn't chimed into this discussion, I agree on the reason for going against black interior. To that I will add that it makes the car too dark for my taste and every minor bit of dirt and grime and other anomalies too much visible. This is one thing that I am too sold on the f-sport's.
Old 12-05-14, 03:52 PM
jathreem
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did you know why US-Bound Lexus NX Has a Different Snout than International model?

USA model:

http://www.lexus.com/models/NX

International model:

http://www.lexus.hu/car-models/nx/nx-300h/index.tmex

You can compare on the pictures and on the official home pages (USA, HU).
Check the design of the fog lights.

All this differences are because of the approach angle and CAFE, details:
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/do-...us-nx-has.html
http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2014/.../#.VIIxVX9xJec

The difference is only on non F-Sport models, F-Sport is the same in USA and international

Old 12-05-14, 09:12 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

I believe this is because of CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) regulation by US government. I think trucks have lower fuel economy requirement but so Lexus modified NX nose so the system works for them. I do not remember exact requirement. I am sure more knowledgeable member on the forum can offer more info.
Old 12-06-14, 03:07 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ That's pretty much it. To classify it as a "truck", the approach angle had to be improved from 16 deg on the F-Sport or "Sport Design" international bumper to the US' 28 deg. Canada has followed the US lead and we have the same bumper here as well.

Quick Reply: Three Different NX Front Bumpers?