NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

How big of a success do you think the NX will be?

Old 09-23-14, 01:54 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How big of a success do you think the NX will be?

Because according to Lexus Japan, it's set to be a huge hit. From the homepage post:

"Lexus was expecting the NX to be the next hot-seller--but just how hot came as a surprise. In Japan, Lexus is expecting to move about 700 NX a month. But between the release on on July 29th and September 3rd--just a little over a month--the company has received an amazing 9500 orders. "

That's a serious number! Do you think we'll see similar enthusiasm stateside? Are you worried about supply?
Old 09-23-14, 02:30 PM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Rumors has it that the audis, mercedes, bmws are no longer premium brands as they used to be. They have popularized, so there is room for some new premium brands.
The RR Evoque had a great move. And besides this and the NX (in this SUV segment) I haven't seen any other one to do a relevant move,
All this to say that yes, I think they'll do well. Don't k how much, but sure they will.
Old 09-23-14, 06:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm not too familiar with the international markets, but I think here in NA the NX will be a sales success (no surprise).

I don't think it will be a runaway sales leader in the segment, but will rank up there with the other segment leaders. The next gen Q5 and GLK (not sure about X3) are on their way, and they will continue to do well. The new MKC will add more life and volume to the segment too.

A lot of good choices for consumers.
Old 09-23-14, 07:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

BIG!

My guess, by end of 2015:

50,000 units in the US, 8k more than their projected sales.

RX will see a slip in the 85,000 range, down about 15,000 despite the new '16 coming .

In short, I expect the NX to be the second best selling Lexus in the US encroaching on, but not surpassing the RX, at least in the short term (2-3 years). Let's see...

As for supply, Lexus needs to seriously consider or move to a planning stage on expanding output beyond Japan's plant production of 120,000 units. Just between the Japanese, US, and Canadian market, this output can be accounted for. There have been talks on leveraging the Cambridge plant in Canada where the RAV4 is made.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 09-23-14 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 08:20 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After seeing it in person today, I believe its a sure fire hit.
I was impressed with the quality of the interior. The roominess. The attractive exterior. The wheels on the F-Sport are really nice. It's going to do well.
Old 09-23-14, 09:56 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on what price they place on it when it debuts in the US. If they get greedy and think that strong pre-orders are going to permit them to mark it up beyond reason, they will get more profit but will sell fewer units. We've seen this with other "luxury" car manufacturer's before and they have shown the ability to "quash" the market by overpricing a model.

This thread title BEGS for a competing thread titled "How badly will the NX do upon release" for those that want to promote a contrarian point of view. These are the types of things that people do on stock & options boards all day and IMHO it's an short-sighted way to foster conversation either way.

Last edited by bunka; 09-24-14 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 10:03 AM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Originally Posted by adamsmith
Rumors has it that the audis, mercedes, bmws are no longer premium brands as they used to be. They have popularized, so there is room for some new premium brands.
The RR Evoque had a great move. And besides this and the NX (in this SUV segment) I haven't seen any other one to do a relevant move,
All this to say that yes, I think they'll do well. Don't k how much, but sure they will.
I think the Evoque is a great looking vehicle—like every Range Rover. But given the marque's well-deserved reputation for being a maintenance nightmare, I don't think it'll ever be more than a niche product for the Prada set.
Old 09-24-14, 01:12 PM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Coyle
I think the Evoque is a great looking vehicle—like every Range Rover. But given the marque's well-deserved reputation for being a maintenance nightmare, I don't think it'll ever be more than a niche product for the Prada set.
It is nice to hear this. I was about to buy an Evoque and in a single visit I pre-ordered an NX... Maybe Prada wasn't designing for me

Last edited by adamsmith; 09-24-14 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 04:38 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

GAME CHANGER!!!
Old 09-24-14, 06:36 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

I hope to see it when it during the Exo 1 unveiling at Lexus of Steven's creek next month.
But I do think it'll do great in it's department.
Sure it'll ****** some of the sales in the RX line but it'll definitely lure potential buyers of other brands like the rdx, cx-9. murano. Those are the only i can think of off the top of my head haha.
Old 09-24-14, 06:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
This thread title BEGS for a competing thread titled "How badly will the NX do upon release" for those that want to promote a contrarian point of view. These are the types of things that people do on stock & options boards all day and IMHO it's an short-sighted way to foster conversation either way.
selling cars and shorting stocks is not the same :-)

Car market is pretty stable right now, they probably now know within 10% on how well will NX sell through first year.

One of the reasons Toyota is most valued stock in the industry is that they hit or exceed their targets every time. Rest of the industry isnt doing much worse today either.
Old 09-29-14, 05:23 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
BIG!

My guess, by end of 2015:

50,000 units in the US, 8k more than their projected sales.

RX will see a slip in the 85,000 range, down about 15,000 despite the new '16 coming .
I'd more or less agree, but a total volume of 135,000 units in the US is a lot. Not saying it won't happen though. They would be annihilating the competition with those numbers, so we'll have to see. All in all the NX is certainly primed for success thanks to Lexus good reputation in the US and an onslaught of image revamping commercials.
Old 09-29-14, 05:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
I'd more or less agree, but a total volume of 135,000 units in the US is a lot. Not saying it won't happen though. They would be annihilating the competition with those numbers, so we'll have to see. All in all the NX is certainly primed for success thanks to Lexus good reputation in the US and an onslaught of image revamping commercials.
135k for both in full year is given... not going to be less thats for sure.
Old 09-29-14, 08:46 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
selling cars and shorting stocks is not the same :-)

Car market is pretty stable right now, they probably now know within 10% on how well will NX sell through first year.
Of course it's not. That was not the point of my second paragraph. My point was/is that you are "preaching to the choir". You will not get anyone saying... "Lexus sucks and won't do as well as ...Ford (for example). In other words, there is no logical reason for this thread to exist... ...other than to fan the flames of Lexus pundants (e.g. pat yourself on the back guys/gals).

For example, nobody is going to say...
"Toyota has been having production issues due to the sticky gas pedal that has delayed the production of the new NX that originates from that specific plant. This will cause a backlog of orders to pile up which will drive potential buyers towards the new Mercedes GNK platform that has been developed specifically to compete with the NX...therefore production numbers will more likely be in the 40K units/year range than anything approaching 135K units/year."

Last edited by bunka; 09-29-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-29-14, 10:22 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
Of course it's not. That was not the point of my second paragraph. My point was/is that you are "preaching to the choir". You will not get anyone saying... "Lexus sucks and won't do as well as ...Ford (for example). In other words, there is no logical reason for this thread to exist... ...other than to fan the flames of Lexus pundants (e.g. pat yourself on the back guys/gals).
I do agree. Nothing is certain until it happens / is officially announced. It's inevitable that things will track on the optimistic side here, but it's a small trade off for the wealth of information and pictures the forum provides.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How big of a success do you think the NX will be?