Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 12:58 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamlab
GREAT NEWS FOR USA BUYERS:

I contacted Lexus directly the other day and inquired specifically about the ML Stereo option being available in the US and this was my reply:

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department. Your concern is important to Lexus, and we appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

I am happy to inform you that Mark Levinson Audio will be an available option for the NX. You may subscribe to receive updates on upcoming vehicles as they become available at https://secure.lexus.com/lexus/ssl/models/signup.do.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., or Saturday, 7:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
Sean McLaughlin
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
I approve!

Thanks for confirming
Old 04-29-14, 01:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021

Other than the Atkinson-Otto cycle switching there's nothing too crazy going on in the turbo.
there is no more technologically advanced turbo engine on the market...

But i wouldn't worry about Lexus... in any case, when there is some huge issue, it takes years to correct if ever - BMW ended up redesigning the engine years later.

I would not wait for next model year... then you might as well wait for one more for facelift and then two more for full redesign.
Old 04-29-14, 01:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Interesting tidbits from the NX's Chief Engineer

http://blog.lexus.co.uk/2014/04/inte.../#.U2AD5vldUjE

When the opportunity arose to speak to Takeaki Kato, chief engineer of the highly anticipated Lexus NX, we decided to open the forum and encourage enthusiasts to ask pertinent questions via the Twitter hash tag #LexusInBeijing.

Response to the call was incredible, so armed with a selection of audience questions we put them to Kato-san at the recent Beijing Motor Show.

Q: When did development work on the NX begin?
Kato: We began the concept back in 2009, however the design was only finished recently. The environment in 2009 was tough due to the shock bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers, and there were many challenges that we had to clear, so we had to find innovative solutions to core technical issues such as the engine and platform.

Q: What inspired you to create this beautiful car?
Kato: Usually this kind of vehicle is a saloon and SUV crossover; but for the NX, I envisioned something different – a sports car and SUV crossover. To me, the NX is like a raised sports car: it has a sharp, sporty body, built for an on-road, sporty lifestyle. The ‘S’ in this SUV stands for both sports car and on-road sports.
See more: Register your interest in the new Lexus NX

Q: What was your overall aim with NX?
Kato: Our aim was to develop a vehicle capable of good sales in this competitive segment. To convince our management we revised our product concept over and over, eventually arriving at the final concept of Premium Urban Sports Gear. ‘Premium’ stood for a feeling of quality, the same as for any Lexus, even for a compact model. ‘Urban’ signified a fashionable car that suits urban style and use. ‘Sports’ meant dynamic driving performance and a design that expresses that performance. And ‘Gear’ represented not only the feeling of a cool object but also the usability of an SUV as a tool.

Q: What new technologies are incorporated into NX?
Kato: In order to realise our Premium Urban Sports Gear concept we had to adopt many new technologies. Of course, one important focus was the development of a brand new turbo engine. As a corporation we already had the 3S-GTE turbo technology that won past WRC events. I believed that combining this turbo technology with modern environmental technology would create an advantage for Lexus. We worked hard to get the engine sound just right. For the F Sport model we wanted a more emotional engine sound, so we electronically developed a note that sounds great acoustically. I think you’ll be surprised at how smooth the turbo engine accelerates.

Q: Is there any new information on the hybrid NX 300h powertrain?
Kato: The NX 300h uses full Lexus Hybrid Drive, offering smooth and seamless driving. We also added a kick-down switch that delivers added power when necessary.

Q: Are the turbo and hybrid both all-wheel drive?
Kato: All the engines are built with all-wheel drive. Mechanically, they are almost the same as the RX, however the software controlling the all-wheel drive system is improved.

Q: How rigorous was the testing programme for NX?
Kato: During testing, an NX was driven for over one million kilometers. Some of these roads were in harsh environments, including high altitudes exceeding 3000m, scorching temperatures of 50 degrees celcius, and frigid temperatures below minus 30 degrees celcius. We developed the vehicle while repeating driving tests over and over in such environments.

Q: Which details on NX are you most pleased with?
Kato: We were obsessive about fine details such as the LED headlamps and exhaust tips, and for the interior that included the method of stitching the upholstery and the adoption of LFA cosmetic bolts. The instrument panel is an important item for the driver, so we added a boost meter for the turbo and a G-meter, plus a whole new console area with a newly developed touch pad type Remote Touch Interface. Countless other new specifications and features are available, developed by a team of more than 2,000 engineers. While each of these things might be small, we’re convinced they will provide a high feeling of satisfaction to our customers.

Q: What audio options will be available?
Kato: Three audio systems will be available in the NX: an eight-speaker system, a ten-speaker system with a centre speaker and subwoofer, and a 14-speaker Mark Levinson option.

Q: How will you differentiate NX from RX?
Kato: Both vehicles have the same innovation and finesse of Lexus. One customer might choose the RX for its elegant, stately and sophisticated shape, just as another customer might want an NX for its more edgy, dynamic personality for active lifestyles. Customers might have a difficult time choosing between the two, but at Lexus we want to provide as many options as possible.

Q: Which colour do you think suits NX best?
Kato: I think all the colours are great but my personal favorite is Sonic Quartz, which is a new and unique white color that we spent a lot of time developing. Although it is pure white, the finish has a crisp metallic quality that brings out the shadows and angles of the sides and compliments the overall design of the NX. Also, the contrast between the white body and black wheels looks really great.

Q: What do you think makes NX stand out from its rivals?
Kato: The NX offers the full package. It’s sporty and compact but has best-in-class interior and utility space compared to other compact crossovers. We spared no expense on the leather and stitching, and a lot of thought was put into the design of the seats. I’m confident that the NX has turned out to be a very dynamic and exciting vehicle. Early customer feedback during market research has been extremely positive. I cannot wait for our customers to see, drive and feel the NX and experience our brand new Lexus by themselves.
Old 04-29-14, 01:33 PM
Dreamlab
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great interview, with great insight:

Q: What was your overall aim with NX?

TO SELL MANY OF THEM AND MAKE LOTS OF MONEY....!
Old 04-29-14, 01:54 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no more technologically advanced turbo engine on the market...

But i wouldn't worry about Lexus... in any case, when there is some huge issue, it takes years to correct if ever - BMW ended up redesigning the engine years later.

I would not wait for next model year... then you might as well wait for one more for facelift and then two more for full redesign.
Can't wait for my 2020 NX

I'm sure the 2015 will be good, but nobody is perfect. Not just the engine, but manufacturing processes for the entire car need to be put in place. This time next year also fits when I would prefer to buy anyway as the IS will be paid off, and since the '15 won't be here until late Fall it's really only half a year longer for the '16.

Yes for a big issue it will take a new iteration of the engine, but some smaller things can be fixed, and bigger things can have workarounds added. For the issue I'm thinking of with my current engine they were able to do a redesign to the High Pressure Fuel Pump to make checking/replacing the part with unexpectedly high wear significantly easier. This only took one MY, and I'd love to have it in my car.
Old 04-29-14, 02:23 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Video: Q&A with Lexus International Vice President Mark Templin

Here’s an excellent video with Lexus International executive vice-president Mark Templin answering questions about China, the NX, and the future of the brand:

Mark Templin’s answers are insightful and full of confidence — in particular, it’s interesting to learn that Lexus wants to grow at a controlled pace in order to preserve their customer experience. It’s the first time I’ve heard it framed this way, and makes a whole lot of sense.

(Thanks Simon!)

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/04/2...-mark-templin/
Old 04-29-14, 02:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Yes for a big issue it will take a new iteration of the engine, but some smaller things can be fixed, and bigger things can have workarounds added. For the issue I'm thinking of with my current engine they were able to do a redesign to the High Pressure Fuel Pump to make checking/replacing the part with unexpectedly high wear significantly easier. This only took one MY, and I'd love to have it in my car.
I have never seen anything like that happen where Toyota/Lexus made significant changes in their production cars after 6 months. Even small changes. Usually things take a lot longer to become known.

As to BMW making it easier to replace fuel pump, thats just shows how big an issue it was - high pressure fuel pumps are used in millions of cars sold every year and BMW had by far the lion share of failures.

I would buy car while it is fresh and hot and not wait for anything... I guess people waiting for turbo in FRS are still waiting for it :-)
Old 04-29-14, 05:35 PM
sg021
Intermediate

I have never seen anything like that happen where Toyota/Lexus made significant changes in their production cars after 6 months. Even small changes. Usually things take a lot longer to become known.

As to BMW making it easier to replace fuel pump, thats just shows how big an issue it was - high pressure fuel pumps are used in millions of cars sold every year and BMW had by far the lion share of failures.

I would buy car while it is fresh and hot and not wait for anything... I guess people waiting for turbo in FRS are still waiting for it :-)
I don't see why a new car wouldn't have small improvements made after 6 months. It's just that much more time that they have to work with the vehicle, and the first time it's been in mass production. There are a lot of benign reasons to change things once they're receiving feedback from service, dealers, consumers, and production facilities.

An example I could give is from when I changed the timing belt on the Passat. I rounded out half the allen bolts on the crankshaft pulley. It was an incredible pain to drill them out, and when I got replacements from the dealer....low and behold they had gone from hex to 12 point screws. Probably from service feedback. Would have made my life much easier.

I am pretty confident the vast majority of VW and presumably Audi owners don't even realize the issue I'd mentioned previously exists. I didn't know until I started doing service work myself, and the parts website I was ordering from sent me info about it....which led to much googling. It's actually the cam follower, which you have to remove the HPFP to get to. The pump itself is ok, just very difficult to remove in my model. The follower is really cheap (too cheap I guess!), and it has a tendency to get worn down. When it breaks, then things get bad.

VW is also insanely slow with issuing recalls. I was already over the mileage limit when it was issued, and the recall just replaces the part anyway as there's evidently no permanent fix. I've looked at the TSBs and recalls for the IS, and they're just laughably minor compared to the mess VW has on its hands.
Old 04-29-14, 07:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I don't see why a new car wouldn't have small improvements made after 6 months. It's just that much more time that they have to work with the vehicle, and the first time it's been in mass production. There are a lot of benign reasons to change things once they're receiving feedback from service, dealers, consumers, and production facilities.
well, i did work for toyota only for 9 years, so my experience is "limited", only difference you will see in 6 months would be equipment changes, pricing changes, if that... you wont get something changed in production unless it is such huge issue that they issue stop sale. and these are done irrelevant of MY.

you are free to check forums here for recently released models and it is the same. Issues simply dont filter back so fast and when they do, they are not fixed in production that fast as it takes long time to investigate reasons and find solutions. There are too many examples to list, but this isnt VW so if you want it dont delay it for something like that... Waiting is best for getting discounts off msrp but then, year later maybe we would pay few k more to enjoy car when it is just out?
Old 04-30-14, 02:36 AM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dctex99
Many of us would pay MORE NOT to have a stupid Pano/sunroof!! Opened it twice in my RX..Glad they are scaling back the NX with fewer options that you are FORCED to buy in a huge package......NEVER used park assist, NEVER used Enform, Never use the usb port, some of us don't feel we have to have EVERY hip thing in our vehicles!!~
Well you're not forced into it, there's this option called "the base model", maybe you've heard of it? And just because you think an option is "stupid" or only exists because it's "hip" doesn't mean that other people want these options and find it useful...sorry if that bursts your communist bubble.

Originally Posted by Nights
Actually the Macan is not based on the Tiguan, it's based off the Q5.
I think the problem is that although the enthusiasts want all the options, the majority of buyers don't seem to want to pay extra for them. Hence on the roads, you see so many "base spec" MB/Audi/BMW/Lexus.
Ah yes, you're right, which is EVEN WORSE! The Tiguan is based on the A3 platform which is a lower spec platform.

I don't understand why some people keep bring up the straw man arguments that not everyone wants these options, No kidding...FOLKS, THERE IS NO THREAT OF A BASE MODEL NOT BEING AVAILABLE. The POINT is, there ARE people who want these options and there are lower end brands and models offering these features. OBVIOUSLY more people want these options than not if even lower end brands are offering them. All the luxury brands offer these features, is Lexus not a luxury brand? Does Lexus want to loose customers to other brands by not offering what should be basic options in the luxury car world? I mean geez, Toyota's get pano roofs but Lexus doesn't? Really???
Old 04-30-14, 02:46 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JZS147btr
Well you're not forced into it, there's this option called "the base model", maybe you've heard of it? And just because you think an option is "stupid" or only exists because it's "hip" doesn't mean that other people want these options and find it useful...sorry if that bursts your communist bubble.

Ah yes, you're right, which is EVEN WORSE! The Tiguan is based on the A3 platform which is a lower spec platform.

I don't understand why some people keep bring up the straw man arguments that not everyone wants these options, No kidding...FOLKS, THERE IS NO THREAT OF A BASE MODEL NOT BEING AVAILABLE. The POINT is, there ARE people who want these options and there are lower end brands and models offering these features. OBVIOUSLY more people want these options than not if even lower end brands are offering them. All the luxury brands offer these features, is Lexus not a luxury brand? Does Lexus want to loose customers to other brands by not offering what should be basic options in the luxury car world? I mean geez, Toyota's get pano roofs but Lexus doesn't? Really???
I'm pretty sure the NX will offer a panoramic roof, but probably only in some markets. Similar to how most carmakers will have different options for different markets. Yes, it would be great if every market had every option available, but different carmakers run their businesses differently, and if they feel there's a business case for it, then I'm sure they'll offer it. Of course they sometimes make mistakes predicting what people want.

Then again, I'm always perplexed by how things work in the US market. You guys already get such cheap cars, yet I see how so many people still complain about price, and even little things like "premium" petrol, when your petrol is already ridiculously cheap due to a lack of any significant fuel excise.
Old 04-30-14, 03:06 AM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nights
Then again, I'm always perplexed by how things work in the US market. You guys already get such cheap cars, yet I see how so many people still complain about price, and even little things like "premium" petrol, when your petrol is already ridiculously cheap due to a lack of any significant fuel excise.
"Cheap" is a relative term. Let's flip the tables, why are you Australians NOT complaining about price? The reason why you guys have these excise taxes and other heavy taxes are to pay for all the "free" programs. Don't worry, we're working our way there. It'll be utopia...you watch! [/sarcasm]

Last edited by JZS147btr; 04-30-14 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-30-14, 05:12 AM
sg021
Intermediate

well, i did work for toyota only for 9 years, so my experience is "limited", only difference you will see in 6 months would be equipment changes, pricing changes, if that... you wont get something changed in production unless it is such huge issue that they issue stop sale. and these are done irrelevant of MY.

you are free to check forums here for recently released models and it is the same. Issues simply dont filter back so fast and when they do, they are not fixed in production that fast as it takes long time to investigate reasons and find solutions. There are too many examples to list, but this isnt VW so if you want it dont delay it for something like that... Waiting is best for getting discounts off msrp but then, year later maybe we would pay few k more to enjoy car when it is just out?
Ha, guess I can't argue with that. If I get a 2015 and there are problems.....I'm sending some unfriendly emoticons your way!

Last edited by sg021; 04-30-14 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-30-14, 08:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Ha, guess I can't argue with that. If I get a 2015 and there are problems.....I'm sending some unfriendly emoticons your way!
I will tell you that Lexus finally has "soul"

Old 04-30-14, 11:43 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I will tell you that Lexus finally has "soul"

Lexus has always had "soul"...it's just taken a few years and a few new models for the masses to wake up and realize it...

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread