NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 09:09 PM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it that the VW Tiguan (which the Macan is based on) has a pano sunroof and Lexus can't deliver one on the NX? And I love how the US doesn't get all the good options. Isn't the US what MADE LEXUS? I remember when all the European countries turned their nose up at the thought of a "luxury" Toyota while the American market bought into the "ideology" of the Lexus brand....and this is how they thank us, eh? Lexus should just engrave "GO POUND SAND" on the dashboard of all the American NX's.
Old 04-24-14, 10:11 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JZS147btr
Why is it that the VW Tiguan (which the Macan is based on) has a pano sunroof and Lexus can't deliver one on the NX? And I love how the US doesn't get all the good options. Isn't the US what MADE LEXUS? I remember when all the European countries turned their nose up at the thought of a "luxury" Toyota while the American market bought into the "ideology" of the Lexus brand....and this is how they thank us, eh? Lexus should just engrave "GO POUND SAND" on the dashboard of all the American NX's.
Many of us would pay MORE NOT to have a stupid Pano/sunroof!! Opened it twice in my RX..Glad they are scaling back the NX with fewer options that you are FORCED to buy in a huge package......NEVER used park assist, NEVER used Enform, Never use the usb port, some of us don't feel we have to have EVERY hip thing in our vehicles!!~
Old 04-24-14, 10:41 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But it's not just Lexus that does this. I remember seeing a video of a 2013 or 2014 Kia Optima SX in Canada that had rain-sensing wipers. You can't get that in Optimas that are sold in the U.S. I also remember seeing a video of a 2013 RX in Canada that had the adaptive forward lighting and auto high beams that they took away from the current U.S. RX's. The rain-sensing wipers seem to be a common thing on vehicles in Europe
Old 04-25-14, 12:07 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JZS147btr
Actually the Macan is not based on the Tiguan, it's based off the Q5.

I think the problem is that although the enthusiasts want all the options, the majority of buyers don't seem to want to pay extra for them. Hence on the roads, you see so many "base spec" MB/Audi/BMW/Lexus.

Of course, more choice is always better. I'm hoping that Lexus does move more in that direction in that you can individually customise your car for the people that want to do that and it's refreshing to see that hopefully more interior/exterior combinations have been forthcoming with the newer models.
Old 04-25-14, 12:11 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DPK
Full LED lights are nice. Lexus has finally caught up to every other luxury brand and Kia in that regard.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Pretty much most competitors only offer full LEDs as an optionable extra in this segment, and through most of their lineup (hell, I went to have a look at the new 911 Turbo on the weekend, and LED headlamps are an added cost option - on a car that costs $350k in Australia!). I still remember Lexus hybrids were some of the first vehicles to offer full LED headlamps (in that distinctive triple arrangement) on the market.
Old 04-25-14, 12:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/shh...oduces-20.html

New 4 cylinder Porsche Macon.. Similar power ratings
and un-similar price
Old 04-25-14, 12:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
Actually the Macan is not based on the Tiguan, it's based off the Q5.

I think the problem is that although the enthusiasts want all the options, the majority of buyers don't seem to want to pay extra for them. Hence on the roads, you see so many "base spec" MB/Audi/BMW/Lexus.

Of course, more choice is always better. I'm hoping that Lexus does move more in that direction in that you can individually customise your car for the people that want to do that and it's refreshing to see that hopefully more interior/exterior combinations have been forthcoming with the newer models.
the masses ruin it for enthusiasts.

In truth though, all it has to be is an option and someone willing to build it and someone willing to pay for it. So gimmie my panoramic moonroof and all around view monitor Lexus.... I've never met a company that DIDN'T want to take my money
Old 04-25-14, 01:34 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
the masses ruin it for enthusiasts.

In truth though, all it has to be is an option and someone willing to build it and someone willing to pay for it. So gimmie my panoramic moonroof and all around view monitor Lexus.... I've never met a company that DIDN'T want to take my money
My guess as to why the unpopular options are not offered for those willing to pay for them is because it may cost big money to equip an assembly line to meet all combinations. Do the U.S. and China/Japanese NX's all come down the same assembly line? Certification and streamlining production in a factory has to weigh in...
Old 04-25-14, 05:15 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I did notice this on the US RX 450h (not the 350) Builder today as one of the package items:

Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System [1]
The Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System [1] features 15 speakers, 7.1-channel architecture and 330 watts of maximum power, at less than 0.1% THD, 20-20,000 Hz [2], to deliver the kind of sound quality once only found in six-figure home-audio systems.
Not the most powerful system, but clearly you can only find that quality in 6 figure home-audio systems! How's that for marketing? At least the name Mark Levinson is in there, which gives me a glimmer of hope for the NX.
Old 04-25-14, 05:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
Well I did notice this on the US RX 450h (not the 350) Builder today as one of the package items:

Not the most powerful system, but clearly you can only find that quality in 6 figure home-audio systems! How's that for marketing? At least the name Mark Levinson is in there, which gives me a glimmer of hope for the NX.
obviously RX is more upscale so where NX ends, RX begins.
Old 04-25-14, 05:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
Many of us would pay MORE NOT to have a stupid Pano/sunroof!! Opened it twice in my RX..Glad they are scaling back the NX with fewer options that you are FORCED to buy in a huge package......NEVER used park assist, NEVER used Enform, Never use the usb port, some of us don't feel we have to have EVERY hip thing in our vehicles!!~
personally, i would rather do moonroof then pano since i live in very hot and cold area so pano is not going to be optimal. I think they even charge about the same for both in Europe, which is around €1000 Euros, and you have pano in cheaper cars vs moonroof in more expensive ones... despite the good price and availability on many Toyota models, I have not really noticed many of sold cars with pano roof.

If I am buying new, I would buy F-Sport exactly as presented in the New Yor show - everything looks and performs great, without fluff.
Old 04-25-14, 06:09 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I have no experience with a pano roof and don't see any in my area. I'd be afraid it would be awful here in the Florida sun. I hardly ever open my moonroof in the RX as it is. I need A/C and shade. If I had the choice I wouldn't have got it. I don't like the way Toyota/Lexus packages their options. Why would the moonroof be included in the premium package with memory seats, Leather trim and folding mirrors? It should be a separate option.

I'm interested in the hybrid version and wondering why a solar roof wouldn't be offered like the Prius.
Old 04-25-14, 06:25 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spwolf
obviously RX is more upscale so where NX ends, RX begins.
I don't really think that's true. The segment is too competitive for them to make the NX much less luxurious. I already think some other vehicles the NX now competes against meet or exceed the RX in features, fuel economy, and driving fun (well, everything exceeds it in driving fun), they just lack reliability.
Old 04-25-14, 06:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Most Q5's come with a panoramic roof. If you are ordering one, there is a no cost delete option available on the feature.
Old 04-25-14, 06:34 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
and un-similar price
That actually brings up an interesting theoretical point since that Macan won't get to the US. Based on US prices, the Macan S starts at $50k, and the AWD RX at $41k. Knock a few thousand off the Macan for the much smaller engine, and suddenly the cars are only 4-5k apart.

Porsche gives you a million a la carte options to run the tab way up, whereas you can select from all of 2 packages on your RX.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread